Author Topic: Tropical fruits with edible nut and tropic nuts  (Read 947 times)

Dmaxx69

• Hawaii County, Keaau, HI zone 11b
    • View Profile
Tropical fruits with edible nut and tropic nuts
« on: June 24, 2021, 11:10:19 AM »
Aloha, as the title is hinting, im looking for tropical fruits with edible nut(raw) and tropical nut trees. Im familiar with macadamia nuts, malabar chestnuts, cashew, pulasan and caimito. What else is out there? Ive heard of java almond, is it tasty? Im relatively low elevation and cant grow tropic adapted temperate trees like apricot. Mahalo

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
Re: Tropical fruits with edible nut and tropic nuts
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 03:01:42 PM »
theres quite a few here in hawaii. ive got all these ones growing: cutnut, paradise nut, monkey pot, Tahitian chestnut, pili, breadnut, dabai, tropical almond, sandalwood, cola, jackfruit, malabar chestnut, mac nut. theres also sacha inchi but not a tree

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 04:28:53 PM »
Aloha, as the title is hinting, im looking for tropical fruits with edible nut(raw) and tropical nut trees. Im familiar with macadamia nuts, malabar chestnuts, cashew, pulasan and caimito. What else is out there? Ive heard of java almond, is it tasty? Im relatively low elevation and cant grow tropic adapted temperate trees like apricot. Mahalo

If I might suggest you could divide your quest in Palms and other fruit trees having edidle nuts. Here in Brazil we have different types of palms  with the nut edible: Babassu,coconut etc   And then we have fruit trees like Cashew Apple, Brazil nuts etc. I have never come across a table with Toxicity of Seeds. But I know that Anona seeds are toxic/poisenous. Do you eat or extract oil of Caimito seeds, a sapotacea ??

Dmaxx69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 08:32:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Should have been more specific in that i want seeds that can be eaten raw/ minimal pastuerization. So jackfruit is out i think since ive read they need to be cooked. Defintely going to look into those trees mentioned! And i eat the caimito seed with the fruit.

Dmaxx69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 08:35:02 PM »
@spencerw which nuts are your favorite taste wise eaten raw? I dont cook my produce and am not interested in any that require being roasted. Mahalo

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 10:23:41 PM »
Chinese chestnut. But you need to boil it

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 10:24:33 PM »
Coco plum kernel is edible raw and and is about 21% oil content. You see it a lot here in Florida where it is native. I imagine it has made its way to Hawaii.

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 02:10:43 PM »
@spencerw which nuts are your favorite taste wise eaten raw? I dont cook my produce and am not interested in any that require being roasted. Mahalo

ive only eaten a few of the ones ive got growing. mac nuts and monkey pot nuts are delicious raw. ive had store bought pili that were roasted that were also really good. all the other plants i didnt have enough seeds to eat and propagate, so just propagated. cut nuts are supposed to be really good raw as well. only had the malabar chestnut cooked, pretty good but quite a bit of effort to remove the husk. sandalwood nuts are good pretty good, but best pan roasted in coco oil.