Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Passiflora incarnata

(1/9) > >>

Plantinyum:
Hi, this just bloomed today , I pollinated it with its own pollen but read on the net that it is self sterile . Is this the case ??

~Telephone denies to upload the pics ~

vnomonee:
It depends, some maypops can be self fertile. I have a single vine that produces fruit, but it has to get huge. You need about 60-90 days for fruit to ripen. Mine ripen around 70-75 days. Huge bumble bees do the pollinating for me.

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: vnomonee on August 13, 2021, 12:35:51 PM ---It depends, some maypops can be self fertile. I have a single vine that produces fruit, but it has to get huge. You need about 60-90 days for fruit to ripen. Mine ripen around 70-75 days. Huge bumble bees do the pollinating for me.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I was also wondering if it ever sets should I let it hold the fruit, since its too late in the season already . I wont pollinate any of the upcoming flowers and will just let it make its flower show this season, its a small plant at this point/ two stems that are around one meter heigh....

vnomonee:
It most likely will not become a fruit so up to you if you want to remove the spent bloom, but you probably want the plant to focus on growing roots in the ground so that it can come back next season. I have had atleast a hundred blooms on my vine already but only around 8-10 fruit that I can see. Even hand pollinating does not ensure fruit, unlike my Edulis which every flower I hand pollinate becomes a fruit. I planted a different incarnata next to it so next year it will hopefully cross pollinate for much better fruit yield. In my zone everything above the ground will die starting in late October/early November which is when I cut the vine down and clean up.

W.:
I have never had a problems with my Passiflora incarnata fruiting, and I only have one large, rambling vine. That being said, its first year, it produced very few flowers and very little fruit. You will probably get more fruit as your vine grows older and becomes more established.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version