Author Topic: Good tasting persimmon for zone5-6  (Read 1017 times)

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Good tasting persimmon for zone5-6
« on: October 28, 2021, 09:06:41 PM »
Thinking of trying to grow some persimmons in zone 5b. Will be a new exp for me. Anyone know a good tasting variety that will grow in my zone?  Thanks for peekin!
Bill

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Good tasting persimmon for zone5-6
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 03:43:18 AM »
After my knowledge the persimons seem to take until - 4° Fahrenheit so don' t know what are the lows in your zone, so I think it s really an experiment which needs protection of the trees, especially if they are young.
I have persimon sharon and Jiro and this winter they took 3° Fahrenheit without problems.
Concerning taste I have never eaten a bad tasting kaki or persimon if they are full matured. I think the difference is the arstringence of much varieties if they aren' t full ripe.
I have persimon jiro and persimon sharon ( fuyu, with the first 7 fruits this year, but not tested yet to let them a bit ripening on the tree).
Good success Frank

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 10:16:06 PM »
You may want to look at some of the improved American Persimmons or even an asian and American hybrid like Rosseyanka. Here is an old but good discussion on American Persimmon varieties.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1503959/best-american-persimmon-cultivars&ved=2ahUKEwiLjf2ekYD0AhXYRTABHWmFATcQFnoECBMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0AIGOWELlBJVBmI0dSG81_

Sorry I can't be more help.

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 07:12:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Once and a while we will hit -10f but have long periods of 0 to 10f. Thanks again for narrowing it down for me guys. Helped alot
Bill