Author Topic: Ten Degree Tangerine - Clemyuz 2-2  (Read 1496 times)

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Ten Degree Tangerine - Clemyuz 2-2
« on: July 05, 2022, 03:39:26 PM »
How hardy is Clemyuz 2-2 ? Who cultivates this citrus and can share own experiences to comd hardyness, taste and fruiting period ?
Thanks for your informations  :).
Regards Frank

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Ten Degree Tangerine - Clemyuz 2-2
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 09:22:48 PM »
It did not do well for me in the US Pacific Northwest, zone 8a. It was obviously less cold tolerant than Yuzu. It was almost completely killed, but managed to hang on to life for three years, slowly declining until it finally died. After the first winter it lost all its leaves, and I could later see the next two Spring seasons that the plant was trying to bud out leaf growth in two areas, but the plant was just not successful, and so the plant began declining since it was not able to grow out any leaves.

I would guess this might be a variety fit for a protected spot in zone 8b, or might be useful for further breeding purposes.

It might be able to survive in a protected spot in zone 8a in the US South. I don't know.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 09:25:55 PM by SoCal2warm »

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 10:01:21 PM »
No experience with it yet, but three different sources give: -12°C, -12°C and -13°C
So might not be so much more cold hardy than a good satsuma variety, keraji or changsha, ...

It makes me wonder how the quality of the fruit compares to keraji and changsha?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 11:19:29 PM »
So might not be so much more cold hardy than a good satsuma variety, keraji or changsha, ...
I believe it's probably a little more hardy than Satsuma, but less hardy than Changsha.
I can't really judge how it compares with Keraji, but from the plants I grew in separate years, it would seem to me Keraji might be a little bit more hardy.

Though I have never tasted it, supposedly the fruit quality is what you would expect from a cross between the two, with about equal traits from both. Actually fresh grown Yuzu off your own tree is not bad, I can even enjoy eating it, although it is a little insipid, not a huge amount of flavor in the inner flesh (most of the flavor is in the peel), it's a little dry, not much juice, and the amount of flesh is limited due to the inside being filled with numerous large sized seeds. (Some people don't see any edible value in Yuzu whatsoever, however)

I have tasted Changsha and would imagine that the fruit quality of Clem-Yuz is slightly better, from pictures of the inside of the fruit I've seen.

In my opinion, probably Clem-Yuz needs to be back-crossed with something else before it's really useful as a hardy hybrid. Otherwise, it's just an interesting curiosity that is only borderline a little more cold tolerant than normal citrus. Like if you live just on the edge of citrus growing territory where Satsuma can barely grow but doesn't do too well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 11:27:42 PM by SoCal2warm »

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 12:23:37 AM »
Thank you for your informations SoCal and Peep, though overall they seem not so encouraging for planting in zone 7.
My question was based while fetting some scions next weekand in one blog it was mentioned that possibly it is hardy down to 5° F. So I will graft it, then make a copy and test one in the ground - after the german saying " practical trying goes over theoretical studying".

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 02:44:20 AM »
No other menbers growing clemyuz 2-2 ??   :-\

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 06:52:12 AM »
Only in my greenhouse.... i haven`t tested it in open ground.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 10:10:25 AM »
Why chose ClemYuz over Changsha or the new low seed Changsha.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 05:37:09 PM »
thanks Mikkel and Poncirusguy, I have already Changsha, but still no fruits and currently I try to test all citrusvarieties which are claimed lower than 10F, and (relative) good fruit, if they will survive with minimal protection in my ground.
Lowseed Changsha I don' t know, not sure if this variety already exists in Europe.

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 05:45:32 AM »
If by low seed Changsha you mean Sweet Frost, it is not available in Europe. At least not officially.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2022, 08:03:29 AM »
Honey Changsha is what I heard of.  Took a while to find it again.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 01:15:59 PM »
Accomplished !!! 😅, got scions of clemyuz 2-2 from a citrusfriend in my region and the scions are doing well though not so long since grafting 😄