Author Topic: Good citrus books?  (Read 1085 times)

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
Good citrus books?
« on: December 16, 2021, 06:56:09 PM »
Any recommendations? I am interested in historical readings and experiments preferably in book form

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Good citrus books?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 02:20:04 AM »
The Home Citrus Growers website has a list of citrus books: http://www.homecitrusgrowers.co.uk/books/mybooks2.html.

Citrus Varieties of the World is still my go-to guide on citrus varieties, but James Saunt died over a decade ago, and it has not been updated to reflect newer varieties developed since 2000.

If you are looking for much older books, I would advise trying to find some of the publications by the Florida Department of Agriculture or United States Department of Agriculture documenting citrus breeding those organizations did.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 12:38:30 PM »
The Home Citrus Growers website has a list of citrus books
That's my website and a page I've forgotten about - so it hasn't been updated for 13 years!!
Nevertheless, many of these books are still a good read.
The Citrus Industry, Vol. 1 is still the most detailed botanical reference book covering citrus and related species, even though genetic studies have now altered the understanding of some relationships. It can be found through second hand book sites but is also available to read online.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 02:25:30 PM »
I have most of the books shown on W above post.  I also have 3 of the for volumes of The Citrus Industry by Weber & Batchelor.  The book, Biology of Citrus by Roy Spiegel and Goldschmed is absolutely outstanding. 

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 12:16:15 AM »
The works of Chozaburo Tanaka from Japan are also classic Citrus texts. They especially covered many obscure Citrus types unknown in the West.
Although he tended to name types as species, a trend that has been reversed to name all Citrus and relatives in the Citrus genus.
Genetic analysis has recently revealed complexity of Citrus evolution, including the male / female direction of crosses, multiple ancestors, back crosses etc.
This has left me with the impression that Tanaka was able to perceive some of this complexity now revealed, which is partly why he differentiated many types most would simply place together.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 03:52:08 AM »
That's my website and a page I've forgotten about - so it hasn't been updated for 13 years!!
The Citrus Industry, Vol. 1 is still the most detailed botanical reference book covering citrus and related species, even though genetic studies have now altered the understanding of some relationships. It can be found through second hand book sites but is also available to read online.

Well, it is still a good citrus book guide. I like the rest of your website, as well, particularly your Australian citrus expeditions. Those are extremely interesting to read about, and hopefully you will be able to go on another similar citrus adventure at some point in the future.

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 08:33:36 AM »

Thank you for building that website. I am thoroughly enjoying it and I hope you can continue working on it one day (hopefully before I read most of it)

Also, thanks for the recommendations. I ordered 'The Biology of Citrus' off ebay the other night. Any more recommendations are greatly appreciated!

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 04:55:48 PM »
Thanks for your comments about Home Citrus Growers website. I know it's style is dated and it takes quite an effort to keep checking that the links and facts are still correct. And it isn't designed for today's phones with small screens. Like me, it is getting much too old!
I'd love to have another plant-hunting trip in Australia but I doubt it will happen. The last one had its scary moments - I even ended up in a hospital having a live tick dug out from my chest. My wife thought I was quite mad to go poking around in the bush by myself. She's probably right.