Author Topic: Feijoa in NJ zone 7a  (Read 2231 times)

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Re: Feijoa in NJ zone 7a
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2022, 07:06:02 PM »
A little bit of protection has done wonders for these guys. Hoping they'll flower again this year after being dug up and transplanted from my heated greenhouse a couple years back.

nice plants, how were they doing in the heated greenhouse for u ?? I suppose they were fruitless since u dug them up ??

They were doing pretty good in there. Just got too big and were taking up valuable space. Also had a scale problem. One of the tress, a "Mammoth" variety, flowered the previous year before I dug it up. I'm thinking it will pick up again this season.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2022, 02:25:43 PM »
The inground feijoas are pushing leaves, they started doing so when it warmed up early this month. So def 6-7f does not kill them although they are very slow to come back.

I am noticing what looks like flower buds on both of my potted feijoas that I started leaving out in March, so it has acquired enough chill hours in zone 7a by doing this. I brought them in if temps were going to freeze (worried about the roots in the pots). But otherwise they were outside since then.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 02:28:37 PM by vnomonee »

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2022, 02:36:38 PM »
Hard to believe these were the same plants 2 years ago

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2022, 07:35:26 PM »
I have 5 outside in 7b. They have been in the ground 4 years. They have flowered since year two. Maybe this year they will produce some fruit.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2022, 07:59:11 PM »
do you hand pollinate?

I have 5 outside in 7b. They have been in the ground 4 years. They have flowered since year two. Maybe this year they will produce some fruit.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2022, 09:21:18 PM »
Nope. I figured the bees or the wind would do it. They are planted in a circle 2 feet apart.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2022, 01:12:06 PM »
First flowers opened on one plant. Hand pollinated, hope these are self fertile.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2022, 09:52:21 PM »
Potted specimens are in full bloom. Not sure if my hand and cross pollination is doing anything. My tropical guava dropped flowers pretty quickly, within days, if they didn't become fruit.

Not noticing any swelling on the first flowers which were self pollinated but the petals have fallen off and the rest is still firmly attached to the stem.

Not pictured, in ground plants are in full leaf but no flower buds anywhere. Since they are all small, can't confirm if they are able to flower after freezing back just yet.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2022, 08:55:22 AM »
Anyone have success in the northeast?

These are all rooted cuttings from 2 plants that were listed as being 7a hardy (taking it with a grain of salt). Unknown variety, sold by 9Greenbox.

No damage so far with 20f, 16f, 18f over night, daily temps have been above freezing.

Tuesday will be interesting. Looks to be the coldest day and night combo so far

what was your method used to root your cuttings and at what time of year?

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2022, 10:51:37 AM »

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2022, 06:59:24 PM »
Can confirm now hand pollination definitely will set fruit. These were the first cluster of flowers to open and the buds are noticeably swelling. I will update when fruit is mature.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk