Author Topic: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)  (Read 46279 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)
« Reply #200 on: February 20, 2022, 02:25:30 PM »
I could potentially bring some number back from SF to Santa Barbara. I am busy this coming Friday / Saturday which it sounds like may be delivery? I won't be able to say I can help or not till I know delivery date.

Jeramyl SoCal

• USA, CA/So CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 20, 2022, 08:02:52 PM »
I could potentially bring some number back from SF to Santa Barbara. I am busy this coming Friday / Saturday which it sounds like may be delivery? I won't be able to say I can help or not till I know delivery date.

Thanks K-Rimes.  We will see what the date turns out to be and keep the conversation moving.  Much appreciated as SB is way, way closer than SF.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2022, 10:05:33 AM »
Ok, fellows. Where is the best place to get some grub and relax for 10 hrs after I get to San Francisco, drive to Campbell and pick up my trees? Any local specialties I should look for? I don't drink so that is not really on the menu. Any help will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 12:18:12 PM by CarolinaZone »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2022, 10:08:14 AM »
Arbutus unedo and several Syzygium are fruiting in SF right now-

I was a bigger fan of the arbutuus but both were good to try

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2022, 10:57:58 AM »
What kind of food are you into? Are you flying back out of SF the next day?
Campbell is boring strip mall USA and a little less than an hour south of SF. You could find good food around there .
SF is a beautiful city with lots of great places to hang out and kill some time. And lots of great food options. Just depends the logistics of your coming and going and what makes sense without stressing on time.

Ok, fellows. Where is the best place to get some grub and relax for 10 hrs after I get to San Francisco, drive to Campbell and pick up mu trees? Any local specialties I should look for? I don't drink so that is not really on the menu. Any help will be appreciated.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2022, 12:00:22 PM »

Thanks K-Rimes.  We will see what the date turns out to be and keep the conversation moving.  Much appreciated as SB is way, way closer than SF.

SD is far enough to SB. Tacking on an extra 5 hours is like 20% of the West Coast. A long drive for trees!

Jeramyl SoCal

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2022, 12:02:47 PM »

SD is far enough to SB. Tacking on an extra 5 hours is like 20% of the West Coast. A long drive for trees!
Exactly!!  I would at least bring a surfboard and visit some old NorCal along the way if I had to go the distance.  Hopefully not!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2022, 12:18:03 PM »
The only thing I'd like to confirm beforehand for anyone's trees I transport is how would you like them taken back to SB? I tried burying mine in wetted potting soil on the first order from Beicadad - none survived. I think that was more the "after care" wherein I should have set up a humidity dome and heated area for them. I will do this in an indoor grow tent this time.

Would SoCal members trees I bring back like them:

1) sunken in water
2) in wet potting soil in a big rubbermaid tub
3) something else

?

I'd like to know how many I would need to bring back as well. I have a long bed truck with a canopy shell on it so no wind or anything so it's pretty perfect to take a bunch - but there is a limit I am sure.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2022, 01:25:45 PM »
1) sunken in water

I think soaking in water is best for bare rooted plants like these. Vitamin water if possible like with Superthrive or B1 from HD.

If you could bring my order back, it'd be great, K-Rimes. Happy to compensate for the travel and hassles.
Thera

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2022, 01:26:37 PM »
What kind of food are you into? Are you flying back out of SF the next day?
Campbell is boring strip mall USA and a little less than an hour south of SF. You could find good food around there .
SF is a beautiful city with lots of great places to hang out and kill some time. And lots of great food options. Just depends the logistics of your coming and going and what makes sense without stressing on time.

Ok, fellows. Where is the best place to get some grub and relax for 10 hrs after I get to San Francisco, drive to Campbell and pick up mu trees? Any local specialties I should look for? I don't drink so that is not really on the menu. Any help will be appreciated.
To be honest I like just about every type of cuisine. The only thing I don't eat is pork or cheese. They both give me headaches. Other than that I'm in. I will be there after 3pm. I wont be in Campbell until 5. If Bill is so gracious to let me pick up the trees then. After that, it's back to San Francisco.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 01:29:54 PM by CarolinaZone »

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2022, 01:40:58 PM »
When I picked them up the first order he had them already counted and packed separately into boxes. He then had me recount to double check and dumped moist bags of peat moss onto them. When I got home I had buckets of RO water to soak them into until everyone picked them up. Some were not able to pick up until the next day so I soaked them overnight in aerated water bucket along with my set of trees.
I let Bill know I would drive up if no one volunteered and can also drive to Santa Barbara for la and San Diego people.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2022, 01:53:09 PM »
Hi, K-Rimes and Joe,

Please pickup my order for me if you are heading over the SF for you order.  I am happy to compensate the travel.

Thanks,
Al

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »
Thank you Joe.  I suggest people in the San Diego area to contribute $ to Joe or whoever that pick up the trees from Bill for this upcoming order to cover time and gas expense.
When I picked them up the first order he had them already counted and packed separately into boxes. He then had me recount to double check and dumped moist bags of peat moss onto them. When I got home I had buckets of RO water to soak them into until everyone picked them up. Some were not able to pick up until the next day so I soaked them overnight in aerated water bucket along with my set of trees.
I let Bill know I would drive up if no one volunteered and can also drive to Santa Barbara for la and San Diego people.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2022, 02:38:43 PM »
I would be happy to pitch in $$ to anyone willing to bring the trees to SoCA and SD area for distribution.  That would be an awesome service to our local growers.

bill_bayarea

• Campbell, Santa Clara County, CA 95008, plant zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2022, 03:40:10 PM »

Joe, thank you so much last time for picking up the trees for the all SoCal folks!
 I would suggest SoCal folks including myself( :D) donate $10-$40 each to Joe if he decides to do this again. It's a tough work driving from LA at night to the bay area then go back without resting,  such a big contribution to others.   

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2022, 04:14:18 PM »
I agree, we should be giving Joe $$ for his time to drive up/back, and gas costs.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2022, 04:34:00 PM »
1) sunken in water

I think soaking in water is best for bare rooted plants like these. Vitamin water if possible like with Superthrive or B1 from HD.

If you could bring my order back, it'd be great, K-Rimes. Happy to compensate for the travel and hassles.

I have a bit of Superthrive on hand but will buy another bottle for this. I can make up a rubbermaid bin with 5 gallon of RO water or something.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2022, 04:54:08 PM »
I did some experiments with the batch of plants I got from Houston that I think will be informative-

Plants still looked really good by the time they got here with green on most of the tips of the branches, even an odd leaf or two, I soaked just the roots in seaweed extract diluted in rainwater for 30 minutes and then potted them up and lightly watered them in with the seaweed extract water

Since I was receiving plants for multiple people I put mine into a mix of roughly 1:1 sphagnum moss and cedar bark with a few scoops of vermiculite and gravel in fabric pots and put the rest in pure sphagnum moss in plastic pots-

The ones in pure sphagnum moss seem to have done better than the ones I gave extra care to- I cant be certain but it does look like my soil mixture is holding more water that the sphagnum (at least in the short term) which would be in line with peoples observations to keep them pretty dry for the first few weeks-

We were not blessed with the warm weather you Californians have had since the trees arrived which has led to me doing a lot of shuffling between the house and outside but I have kept them watered with rainwater roughly twice a week and checking to make sure the soil is drying out-

When one of the forum members came to pick up there trees this past weekend they still had green tips. Although the ones on mine have browned when I scratch the trees there is green under the bark-

Now that things are warming up I have them in their semi-permanent spot, no buds yet but keeping a close eye on them
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:56:11 PM by elouicious »

Tustinfruitnerd

• Tustin
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2022, 04:54:31 PM »
Will both Joe and K-Rimes be driving there to pick up or just one person depending on the day the trees arrive? Would it be possible for whoever picks up to do one drop in OC as well? Please pick up my trees as well. Thank you for doing this. I live in Tustin and I know a few folks on here are also in OC area.  My house is about 1.5 miles from freeway 5 so it would be a convenient dropoff point on the way to San Diego for OC folks.  I'd be happy to be a distribution point for those who would like to have their trees picked up and dropped off in OC if Joe or K-Rimes is willing to do that.  Thank you for volunteering your time. I too will gladly pitch in for your time and gas. I also vote for soaking the trees in RO water with B1 during their journey down to SoCal.  I think the trees would be somewhat dehydrated after the days of travel from China.  It would be good to rehydrate their roots with the soaking in water.  After arriving in SoCal, I think they should be kept in moist peat moss until they are picked up. It'd be great to have the inputs and wisdom of others as well.

Tustinfruitnerd

• Tustin
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2022, 05:16:55 PM »
Also, does anyone know where to buy Morella Californica or Myrica Cerifera?  I have not had luck with finding them at nurseries in OC.  Has anyone tried grafting yangmei on Mortus communis or Laurus Nobilis? Not sure how closely related they are, if even at all. 

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2022, 05:44:22 PM »

Joe, thank you so much last time for picking up the trees for the all SoCal folks!
 I would suggest SoCal folks including myself( :D) donate $10-$40 each to Joe if he decides to do this again. It's a tough work driving from LA at night to the bay area then go back without resting,  such a big contribution to others.

Ya Joe did an outstanding job picking up those trees, taking care of them, and getting them here so fast. BIG PROPS. If Joe picks up again I’ll do the same as before and pick up from LA. I’m more than happy to pitch in money (and another seedling or two ;))for gas/time. THANK YOU Joe you rock!!! :)
Nate

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2022, 10:49:00 PM »
Where is the LA pick up? I can help distribute in SGV. I'm available most Sat-Tues

Jeramyl SoCal

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2022, 02:44:43 AM »
K-Rimes and Joe,

It looks apparent that you have SoCal folks willing to assist in any way possible.  Lets get a count of the total number of trees headed southbound from Bill and coordinate when we have a final date for pickup.

Thank you again for everything.  Looking forward to making this happen. 

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2022, 11:02:38 AM »
I can commit to grabbing (probably) all of SoCal's trees depending upon the quantities and can get them to Santa Barbara. I can't commit to driving to OC / SD so hopefully Joe can grab them from me? That makes it a pretty even drive for the both of us - 4 hours SD to SB each way for Joe, 4 hours SB to SF each way for me.

My diesel truck isn't great on gas but it certainly carries a lot of stuff. With today's diesel prices and a 550 mile trip it's about $160 in diesel.

Jeramyl SoCal

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2022, 12:39:23 PM »
I am happy to drive to SB too.  We will work that part out and obviously make it worth your trip to SF too.  Sounds like there may be a couple SD folks that can make the drive so we will see when this all unfolds.  Should be fun.  Fingers crossed it happens later this week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk