Author Topic: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)  (Read 45713 times)

Tustinfruitnerd

• Tustin
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)
« Reply #450 on: March 10, 2022, 04:32:34 PM »

Anybody worried that this is Root Knot Nematode infested????

This is the stuff that gives me anxiety.

Is this nodules with the nitrogen fixing bacteria that they're talking about since yangmei trees can fix nitrogen? Or are they the root knot nematodes? Any confirmation on that from USDA during inspection?

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 10, 2022, 05:04:34 PM »

Is this nodules with the nitrogen fixing bacteria that they're talking about since yangmei trees can fix nitrogen? Or are they the root knot nematodes? Any confirmation on that from USDA during inspection?

Many people assumed that they were the Frankia bacteria that we know is associated with Yangmei.

BAD NEWS: They are indeed ROOT KNOT NEMATODES

3 species were identified (incognita, hapla, javanica). This was confirmed by the inspection station.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 10, 2022, 05:28:36 PM »
My trees arrived today. I will be going with a combo of peat, Coast of Maine mix and Pearlite. All of this presoaked in rainwater. No Humidity tent until tomorrow. Mine don't look green at all to be honest so I assume they are dormant. My question is how is dormancy initiated since all I have read is that yangmei is supposed to be evergreen?

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 10, 2022, 06:07:08 PM »
Ahhh. I literally was worrying about that in my sleep last night. Sounds like I'll be leaving these in pots forever
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 10, 2022, 06:15:57 PM »
Ahhh. I literally was worrying about that in my sleep last night. Sounds like I'll be leaving these in pots forever

yeah man. this shit gives me anxiety. If I wasn't half asleep when they came, I might have known better. I initially gave them benefit of doubt and assumed Frankia.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 10, 2022, 06:26:23 PM »

Many people assumed that they were the Frankia bacteria that we know is associated with Yangmei.

3 species were identified (incognita, hapla, javanica). This was confirmed by the inspection station.
This means what? Is it something to be concerned about or is just something that goes along with the plants in normal habitat? Should we treat for it later?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 10, 2022, 06:29:25 PM »

If the USDA found RKN, then why were they allowed in? Probably cause they are already here of course. Based on what I read, they can be potentially fatal to young plants? Seems like one of those stupid helminths. Any ideas on control? Or is it just no hope? Would anyone be willing to give any more experience with these?
If anyone is interested, I found a link with some info on these stupid worms: https://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/disandpath/nematode/pdlessons/Pages/RootknotNematode.aspx

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 10, 2022, 06:44:02 PM »

If the USDA found RKN, then why were they allowed in? Probably cause they are already here of course. Based on what I read, they can be potentially fatal to young plants? Seems like one of those stupid helminths. Any ideas on control? Or is it just no hope? Would anyone be willing to give any more experience with these?
If anyone is interested, I found a link with some info on these stupid worms: https://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/disandpath/nematode/pdlessons/Pages/RootknotNematode.aspx

You are exactly right. They said that since these species are essentially found around the globe, they are allowed to pass.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 10, 2022, 07:26:42 PM »
Is this something that can possibly spread if plants are permanently kept in pots but in close vicinity to other plants?

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #459 on: March 10, 2022, 09:17:11 PM »
Is this something that can possibly spread if plants are permanently kept in pots but in close vicinity to other plants?

Yea - You need to keep them in pots and away from ground, if you want to be sure that is; it’s why you see nurseries use raised structures/tables to place their potted plants.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 10, 2022, 09:18:08 PM »
I read that juglones affect RKN...Although juglones may not be good for the plant either (allelopathic?). If mine do succeed, I'll consider experimenting with that as I have several Juglans nigra plants. Alternative treatments look like heavy chemical usage.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 10, 2022, 09:20:57 PM »

You need to keep them in pots and away from ground, if you want to be sure; it’s why most nurseries use raised structures/tables to place their potted plants.

And use separate tools to handle the infected plants.
Thera

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 10, 2022, 09:35:28 PM »
Please see my Yangmei thread for what I did to treat my trees. Yes, RKN can spread to other plants and  can cause severe damage if environmental conditions are favorable to RKN. Even potted plants that are overwatered that are set on the ground can transfer RKN to the soil.

After you treat your trees, you can graft onto M Californica, Cerifera, Pennsylvanica or Rubra to ensure you don’t contaminate your soil.

In some parts of North America, specifically areas of Florida and California with warm weather and sandy soils, there are probably already large numbers of RKN in the soil.

Simon

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 10, 2022, 09:38:18 PM »

You need to keep them in pots and away from ground, if you want to be sure; it’s why most nurseries use raised structures/tables to place their potted plants.

Damn, starting to sound like its not worth the risk. These would have to be overwintered in my greenhouse right on top of other trees. If we're seeing this in some of the trees, is it safe to assume the whole batch is infected?

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 10, 2022, 09:39:38 PM »
I read that juglones affect RKN...Although juglones may not be good for the plant either (allelopathic?). If mine do succeed, I'll consider experimenting with that as I have several Juglans nigra plants. Alternative treatments look like heavy chemical usage.

Let me know if you find any more information on that. I have tons of black walnut around me.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 10, 2022, 09:41:31 PM »

Damn, starting to sound like its not worth the risk. These would have to be overwintered in my greenhouse right on top of other trees. If we're seeing this in some of the trees, is it safe to assume the whole batch is infected?

Yes, I would assume all the trees are infected. Better to be safe than sorry.

Simon

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 10, 2022, 09:58:42 PM »
Hi,

Which varieties get infected by RKN as seem in the picture?

Black Crystal root seem normal since I only care about black Crystal for this order.  The rest I didn't paid too much attention with them.

If I am recalled correctly, I didn't see that type of root from the order in January.

Thanks,
Al
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:19:39 PM by pinkturtle »

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #467 on: March 10, 2022, 10:24:11 PM »
Please see my Yangmei thread for what I did to treat my trees. Yes, RKN can spread to other plants and  can cause severe damage if environmental conditions are favorable to RKN. Even potted plants that are overwatered that are set on the ground can transfer RKN to the soil.

After you treat your trees, you can graft onto M Californica, Cerifera, Pennsylvanica or Rubra to ensure you don’t contaminate your soil.

In some parts of North America, specifically areas of Florida and California with warm weather and sandy soils, there are probably already large numbers of RKN in the soil.

Simon

Have you found local source for rootstock? I tried most local nurseries as I was planning to graft mine on native plants all along, but I could only find few small plants online.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 10, 2022, 11:14:15 PM »
If RKN can be properly treated with pesticides and beneficial nematodes, why the need to graft onto a different rootstock? The trees from the order last year planted in the ground seem to be doing pretty good on their native rootstock. If we can hit the RKN’s before planting the trees, what’s the need to graft onto a different rootstock, unless obviously the growth flush and overall health of the tree will be improved.
Nate

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 10, 2022, 11:26:06 PM »
The local sources are sold out last time I checked. You can order online through Amazon or by searching the internet but some of the sources are very expensive. I’ve been growing out my own rootstock from tiny seedlings I purchased.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 10, 2022, 11:36:02 PM »
If RKN can be properly treated with pesticides and beneficial nematodes, why the need to graft onto a different rootstock? The trees from the order last year planted in the ground seem to be doing pretty good on their native rootstock. If we can hit the RKN’s before planting the trees, what’s the need to graft onto a different rootstock, unless obviously the growth flush and overall health of the tree will be improved.

Yes, if you treat your trees, you should be relatively safe but there are growers out there that may have a lot of money invested in their orchards and even the slightest possibility of bringing in harmful Nematodes can potentially cross contaminate all their other crops causing a huge loss of crops/money invested.

For the dooryard grower, not too big of an issue but for larger orchards, it’s best to play it safe. An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

Treating the trees with the two products I posted was relatively easy and gave me peace of mind.

Grafting onto other rootstocks may, or may not, give you better growth, disease resistance or better adaptability to drier/wetter soils. There is not a lot of data so far as this is such a new fruit crop.

Simon

Simon

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 10, 2022, 11:39:04 PM »

You can’t get rid of RKN. Grafting onto uninfected RS would mean that you can get rid of the infected plant.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:43:06 PM by RevivalR00ts »

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 10, 2022, 11:46:49 PM »

Yes, if you treat your trees, you should be relatively safe but there are growers out there that may have a lot of money invested in their orchards and even the slightest possibility of bringing in harmful Nematodes can potentially cross contaminate all their other crops causing a huge loss of crops/money invested.

For the dooryard grower, not too big of an issue but for larger orchards, it’s best to play it safe. An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

Treating the trees with the two products I posted was relatively easy and gave me peace of mind.

Grafting onto other rootstocks may, or may not, give you better growth, disease resistance or better adaptability to drier/wetter soils. There is not a lot of data so far as this is such a new fruit crop.

Simon

Simon

I saw o e product you posted - Monterey Nematode Control

What was the second?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 10, 2022, 11:51:28 PM »
The second one was a beneficial nematode for RKN. I posted a random one that looked like the one I used but the brand I actually used was posted on Facebook and purchased through Walter Anderson Nursery in Poway and I don’t recall the brand.

Click on the link I posted on the other thread

Simon

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 11, 2022, 12:43:31 AM »

Simon

Simon

Thank you Sir! Guess only time will tell on the rootstock...but Shane’s seedling tree in San Diego on native Rubra is a monster.
Nate