Author Topic: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)  (Read 45061 times)

bill_bayarea

• Campbell, Santa Clara County, CA 95008, plant zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Second Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order(Tentative)
« Reply #375 on: March 04, 2022, 02:08:35 PM »
Folks,
  I just spoke to the USDA inspection staff Austen regarding the inspection of our trees.
 He said they are still wanting for the safety guidance based on the pesticide info listed the Phyto.
 We may not be able to make it today.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 04, 2022, 02:26:40 PM »
In the case that Amy can't do a Monday pick up, I volunteer again to drive up in my diesel truck and get them down to SB - and will consider driving down to LA if people would like that and can help with gas.

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 04, 2022, 04:23:39 PM »

Here is the message from USDA today.

Our reply is attached below.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 04:31:16 PM by bill_bayarea »

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 04, 2022, 04:55:26 PM »

Received another email from Austen:
 " Baio,

We received the safety guidance we needed from our higher ups, and we are beginning inspection now. We will notify you and your broker by email when the plants are released and ready for pickup. This will likely be after the weekend on Monday.

Austen C. Gandy (They/Them)
USDA-PHSS
"

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 04, 2022, 05:54:04 PM »
Dang Bureaucrats overachieveing!

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 04, 2022, 07:21:14 PM »
It happens.
Bill,
Assuming Tuesday pickup, when will shipping begin?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 08:26:23 PM by CarolinaZone »

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 04, 2022, 07:38:14 PM »
It happens?
Bill,
Assuming Tuesday pickup, when will shipping begin?
on same day if it the post office is still open.

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 04, 2022, 07:40:00 PM »
Received a couple of emails and I replied within a minute.

"Biao,
Per my previous email, we will not be releasing the plants today. Can you please identify the packing material present with these trees? "

" Biao,
Thank you, I am also seeing that these plants are grafted. Can you please confirm that the scion and rootstock are both Myrica rubra?  "

Latest email from USDA:

" Biao,
We are going to require that you provide reconditioning for this shipment. Each plant is individually wrapped in cellophane plastic wrap, which is impeding inspection of the plants. You can find a list of approved packing materials listed in the conditions of your permit. Please schedule a date and time next week between 8am – 4:30pm to complete the manipulation of the shipment. We will be performing the inspection concurrently as you unwrap the plants. We can provide you disposable gloves, but any other tools or PPE you wish to bring will be your responsibility. "

The USDA inspector is making things very difficult in each step. From pesticide label, packing material, to the scion, even the cellophane plastic wrap. Our exporter prepared exactly same wrapping for every ten trees in last time, and we did not have problem in the inspection. The inspectors had at least three hours of time in the afternoon for our case, unfortunately they just played with emails, did not move on.

I have set up time 9:30 am Monday(3/7) with Austen to unwrap the trees.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 08:06:28 PM by bill_bayarea »

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 04, 2022, 07:47:17 PM »
This is exactly the same issue I had with the same inspector on a recent shipment. It honestly seems like they, Austen, are trying to make things as difficult as possible with the import process. It is usually entirely subjective to the inspector, it seems, making importing plants very risky. It is very frustrating. I don't understand what Austen's deal is.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 07:48:54 PM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 04, 2022, 09:02:21 PM »
This is exactly the same issue I had with the same inspector on a recent shipment. It honestly seems like they, Austen, are trying to make things as difficult as possible with the import process. It is usually entirely subjective to the inspector, it seems, making importing plants very risky. It is very frustrating. I don't understand what Austen's deal is.

I think many inspectors and government job type people believe that their goal is to make the process HARD. If the process isn't difficult and they don't do as much extra busy work as possible, they don't feel their job was done correctly - this is how it is working with my local county for permitting. Few and far between you will find someone who realizes their job for the government is to make it EASY, and once you find one of those, always work with them when possible.

It sounds like USDA SF has some bad apples, or bayberries, so to speak, and we should all use caution importing through that station.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 04, 2022, 09:14:23 PM »
I think instead of going into negative thinking, we should all research how to revive those bare rooted trees if and once we get them. That won't be a wasted time. To the Eagles!
Thera

Jeramyl SoCal

• USA, CA/So CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 05, 2022, 10:43:24 AM »
I think instead of going into negative thinking, we should all research how to revive those bare rooted trees if and once we get them. That won't be a wasted time. To the Eagles!
If they were properly packaged (It sure sounded like it in the description above) and if they have something to keep them moist, I suspect we will be in good shape indeed.  I am just staying positive!  All we can do  ;)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 05, 2022, 12:44:42 PM »
Should be fine, if temps are not too high and they don't dry out.

...always expect some loss when doing risky order as such. All should not be lost.

I've had live coral (sps and lps) sit in a box at the post office over the weekend, and survive upon acclimation. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 02:08:22 PM by roblack »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 05, 2022, 02:46:02 PM »

...always expect some loss when doing risky order as such. All should not be lost.

I've had live coral (sps and lps) sit in a box at the post office over the weekend, and survive upon acclimation.
Do you have any idea of how many of us are on the East Coast? I mean those of us who are getting plants shipped.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 05, 2022, 04:31:55 PM »

Do you have any idea of how many of us are on the East Coast? I mean those of us who are getting plants shipped.

I don't know, less than 69?

Tustinfruitnerd

• Tustin
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 05, 2022, 11:29:55 PM »
Is there an option to immediately soak or mist the roots with water immediately after inspection? Will you be soaking them in water once they are released into your custody Bill?

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 06, 2022, 10:00:03 AM »
Is there an option to immediately soak or mist the roots with water immediately after inspection? Will you be soaking them in water once they are released into your custody Bill?

Yes. Here is our plan on Monday, tomorrow morning.
Amy and I are going to meet at SFO USDA before 9:30 am. nattyfroootz nearby the Bay Area also offered help. So, probably we will be having three people there.

I will prepare all the shipping labels, shipping boxes and water, peat moss, kelp extract today, and bring them with me when I go to SFO tomorrow. If things go smooth, the trees will be released by noon time, so Amy can pick up all the trees for southern California folks. she will soak the roots and  put all the trees in Peat moss, then head to the south.

I will find a post office nearby SFO and start to mail all the trees out for the ones who requested shipment. Like the shipping in the previous time, I will wrap all the trees with Peat Moss and put them into a plastic bag, and seal it.

In the evening time or night I can get all the trees ready for the local pick up in the Bay Area. If somebody cannot make it on same day they can come on the next day Tuesday in Campbell.
I will let you know the pick up address.

This is the best scenario for us。Everything is under the control of the USDA inspection team。

Thank you everyone for the patience.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 12:40:42 PM by bill_bayarea »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 06, 2022, 11:37:17 AM »

If anybody who ordered from the East Coast is reading this, what do you guys think about starting an East Coast thread for discussing the specific progress of trees. I'm in 7a/b inland so I suspect I'm in one of the cooler areas. I plan on dong the whole wrap in tape and tent protocol. Whenever I can get stable 70 plus in the unheated greenhouse it's all going outside.

I don't know, less than 69?

Tustinfruitnerd

• Tustin
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 06, 2022, 12:13:42 PM »
Thank you for the detailed updates Bill. Sounds like a great plan considering the situation. It is a lot of work for you, Amy and Nattyfrootz. We all appreciate everything you guys are doing. Thank you so much.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 06, 2022, 12:30:58 PM »
Thank you for the detailed updates Bill. Sounds like a great plan considering the situation. It is a lot of work for you, Amy and Nattyfrootz. We all appreciate everything you guys are doing. Thank you so much.

Agreed, thank you all for your immense efforts.

ronke47

• Santa Monica, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 06, 2022, 02:21:30 PM »
Seconding all the motions.  This is truly above and beyond what any of us expected you and Amy to have to go through.  Unwrapping every tree, sheesh! At least there will be no rain for Amy's drive south. 

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 06, 2022, 06:39:04 PM »
Thanks to all for all the help-

If there is ever a get together I will buy you a beer

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 07, 2022, 10:23:27 AM »
To canito 17:
  The shipping address you provided earlier is different than the one you just sent today morning.
It was Box 11936, today you changed to Box 11937.

Please confirm which one is correct.

bill_bayarea

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 07, 2022, 02:17:46 PM »
Folks, overall the inspection went well. Amy, Nate, and myself are waiting for the final result to be released by 1 pm PST. Austen said some pictures they took under microscope need to be verified.

Jeramyl SoCal

• USA, CA/So CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 07, 2022, 02:48:12 PM »
A lot of time and stress for the process.  Thanks to you, Amy and Nate for all the hard work.  I know everyone appreciates it and is excited to get started on these trees.  Good luck!