Author Topic: Low chill Asian pear  (Read 1141 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Low chill Asian pear
« on: February 05, 2022, 11:00:50 AM »
Have a nice rootstock grown out from a grafted variety I had bought awhile ago. Even before allowing that rootstock to grow out whatever variety it was on top wasn't doing good at all here. Can't remember what variety I bought. Just a bare root tree bought from a roadside vendor for $10. Now that I got a nice bit of rootstock growth I can cut the other old scion off and graft the rootstock with a better variety for here in the FL panhandle. Preferably a variety with less than 400 chill hours but hopefully  250 or less. Anybody out there got scions available for a low chill Asian pear?
Trying to grow it all!

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
Re: Low chill Asian pear
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 11:50:55 AM »
I don't grow any of these unfortunately D-Grower but here are some in case folks see something they grow.

20th Century (3-400)
Hosui (3-400)
Shinseiki (250-300)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 05:40:21 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations
Trying to grow it all!

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 08:53:02 AM »
I've been reluctant to comment on this one but here goes. I planted tsu li  and ya li pears around 10 yrs ago. I'll check my orchard map, but one died of fire blight within a few years. I replaced that one and it isn't going to make it either. The other one is the best looking pear I have. Big, We'll filled out, but no flowers yet. I have a keiffer as well, and it has made some sparse fruit. I think it will pollinate the ..li.. I still have if it ever flowers. I think it's too late this year to get viable scion material, but I'll send some next year of the keiffer or the ..li.. If you want.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk