Author Topic: Where Does ZHPP Graft Their Mangos?  (Read 711 times)

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Where Does ZHPP Graft Their Mangos?
« on: February 08, 2022, 02:27:13 PM »
I have an Orange Sherbet mango that was not doing well in the ground so I took it out and put it in a pot to try to recover. It is now growing back but i wanted to make sure I remove any rootstock growth. I had originally thought that the graft was where the trunk starts branching and removed growth below that, but then I looked closely again and I think I made a mistake and that the graft is actually just about an inch above the ground on the main trunk. Does anyone know where Zill’s grafts their mangos or any way to tell for sure if the main trunk growth is rootstock or the OS?

CowboyFig

• USA/Central Florida/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Where Does ZHPP Graft Their Mangos?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 04:11:13 PM »
Looks to me like the graft point is down low like you mentioned. The typical club foot looking thickness.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 05:04:45 PM »
Looks to me like the graft point is down low like you mentioned. The typical club foot looking thickness.

Thanks, I was thinking the same. Unfortunately I removed a lot of new main-trunk growth before realizing that. I guess I can always let the main trunk grow out and compare the leaves to be sure. I will do that and report back.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 06:31:06 PM »
I believe Zill uses a very low T-bud type graft as described by you, about 1-2 inches above soil level.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 12:25:25 AM »
I believe Zill uses a very low T-bud type graft as described by you, about 1-2 inches above soil level.

Thank you.