Author Topic: Rangpur limes?  (Read 1037 times)

kinky

• Ohio
    • View Profile
Rangpur limes?
« on: February 28, 2022, 10:27:21 PM »
Does anyone grow rangpurs? I really want to try some, cant find any to buy online just trees for sale. I have limited space so I want to see if I like them before spending years growing a tree.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 01:05:01 PM by kinky »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Rangpur limes?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 09:57:20 PM »
I have picked fruits from rootstock trees that seem to match the description for Rangpur lime. Although I have never had a 100% positive ID, I am pretty sure that is what they are. They are incredibly prolific very sour with orange colored juice and a citrus flavor, but they don't really taste like a lime. I prefer them over rough lemon or sour orange, but they are not a top sour citrus in my opinion. Key Lime and Calamondin are my two favorite sour citrus. I assume that you will be growing in a greenhouse in Ohio and would highly recommend Calamondin. It will fruit at 18" from a cutting, is hardy below 20 when mature, makes a great sour drink or marmalade, and the peel is sweet and edible. Plus the trees are beautiful. You should probably try it before you plant it, though. Lol!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 10:11:27 AM »
I sold my rangpur, it is one of my least favorite citrus fruits.  Seedy sour orange with spicy taste, if you have tried indio mandarinquat or red lime they are somewhat similar.

I recommend almost anything else!  Calomondin is a great suggestion for a juice/garnish citrus.

kinky

• Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 08:39:41 PM »
Hm, I may reconsider. Already planned on getting a calamondin! Maybe Ill do yuzu instead

LittleCitrusLover

• Bay Area - East Bay 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 04:57:07 PM »
I rather like them, especially for citrus marinades. It's very juicy and moderately aromatic. I like makrut and finger lime aromatics better, but they're not juicy enough to make the marinade. Lemons are another great option, although I think it can easily outweigh the lime flavors.

I'm planning on growing some from seed as rootstock because of their extreme drought tolerance. I've read crops on Rangpur rootstock can handle up to 240 days without rain!

The "fruit quality" (usu. measured as sugar/total soluble solids) is moderate, so other rootstocks will probably yield sweeter fruit, but for sour citrus it's probably a great choice.

Calamondin taste is very good but rather different. I'd say grow both!

Also, in addition to FourWindsGrowers, you can get seeds in bulk from Lyn Citrus Seed, and you might have luck finding it on craigslist. There are a handful of people selling Rangpur trees currently.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 02:25:32 PM by LittleCitrusLover »

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 09:27:55 PM »
We like making the rangpur lime into juice. I dont really have any complaints and the seediness doesnt make a big difference for juicing.

Never noticed a spicy flavor though, and I am balking at the idea of juicing all those tiny calamansi...

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 04:04:17 AM »
I've got a few growing on their own roots. So far they're pretty tough.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 02:01:45 PM »
We like making the rangpur lime into juice. I dont really have any complaints and the seediness doesnt make a big difference for juicing.

Never noticed a spicy flavor though, and I am balking at the idea of juicing all those tiny calamansi...

Calamondins have sweet peels. I used to juice them by seeding and throwing in the blender peel and all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk