Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 64389 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2022, 09:00:16 PM »

Think I’m good to go for grafting to Californica?

Knock off the green growths and buddy tape up or am I too late and need to wait for the green branches to get to grafting size?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2022, 01:28:33 AM »
Your plants look really good. I would not knock off the green growths because there is little stored energy in the wood.

I would wait until the green growths are larger and then use that for grafting.

Simon

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 03, 2022, 09:40:02 AM »
Im thinking of planting some RKN infected Yangmei at my house (not my farm).  The soil here is pretty heavy clay and the water table is about a foot or two below the soil surface, so I'd imagine this type of habitat would be rough for them to thrive in.  I don't have any potted plants on the ground and the only real major scare factor is potentially tracking RKN on my shoes to my farm if they do proliferate.

Pretty tempted to throw some in that are starting to shoot some nice healthy looking buds though. Any thoughts? Has anybody planted out so soon after getting them bare root?
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2022, 11:34:32 AM »
Your plants look really good. I would not knock off the green growths because there is little stored energy in the wood.

I would wait until the green growths are larger and then use that for grafting.

Simon

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I am bummed cause it'll be a pain to keep the RKN pots around but I know this will offer me the best chance of success... I'll transition them outdoors in a week or two and put them into trays to keep water isolated. Hopefully it's only a year of minding them or so. I have some nice 5g myrica californica on hand now so as soon as the wood is solid I'll get at it.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 03, 2022, 02:40:57 PM »
Satya, my BC did the exact same thing.  It was the first to leaf out and was looking quite good and afterwards wilted.  It looks dead from what I can tell.  The others that leafed out are doing well.
Same here...It had the best roots also. Maybe it has to do with something else as my other trees are looking fine (at least for now).

My BC did the same thing. It was the first to leaf out, then slowly wilted away. I'm waiting if it actually comes back. Another BC that also leafed out is not completely dead but it's struggling. Anyone can think of what can be the problem?

The same thing happened to my two BC.  Leaf out first then shriveled and died.  May be due to RKN infected roots.  I noticed when I received the trees, the BC roots were the least developed.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 03, 2022, 04:01:16 PM »

Since acquiring the yangmei's, they were just outdoors underneath the calamondin.. i didnt want to give them special care them by wrapping with buddy tape and or in a GH. Since im always busy..im like if They die, they die.. so far 1 an hai & 1 male started to sprout considering they are on a very cold spot during the night & my area has very low humidity.

More power to yangmei growers.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 03, 2022, 05:40:03 PM »
What kind of paint are you using? I'm about to transfer mine to my outside greenhouse.I'm hoping they will like the lower humidity and harden off. I will posting some pics at the beginning of next week if all goes as planned.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 03, 2022, 06:33:56 PM »
What kind of paint are you using? I'm about to transfer mine to my outside greenhouse.I'm hoping they will like the lower humidity and harden off. I will posting some pics at the beginning of next week if all goes as planned.

Iv organics, i used it paint prevent rats/ squirrels chewing the bark.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2022, 01:40:01 AM »
Im thinking of planting some RKN infected Yangmei at my house (not my farm).  The soil here is pretty heavy clay and the water table is about a foot or two below the soil surface, so I'd imagine this type of habitat would be rough for them to thrive in.  I don't have any potted plants on the ground and the only real major scare factor is potentially tracking RKN on my shoes to my farm if they do proliferate.

Pretty tempted to throw some in that are starting to shoot some nice healthy looking buds though. Any thoughts? Has anybody planted out so soon after getting them bare root?

Why not treat your trees first? Even if they aren’t showing any galls, you can treat them for peace of mind. If you already have RKN in your yard, it’s no big deal but why risk contaminating your soil and even worse, potentially contaminating your farm.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2022, 01:43:47 AM »

Since acquiring the yangmei's, they were just outdoors underneath the calamondin.. i didnt want to give them special care them by wrapping with buddy tape and or in a GH. Since im always busy..im like if They die, they die.. so far 1 an hai & 1 male started to sprout considering they are on a very cold spot during the night & my area has very low humidity.

gozp, looking good. That’s a proper size pot for your tree. It’s much easier to control the soil moisture in those smaller pots. 

Simon

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2022, 02:20:01 AM »

gozp, looking good. That’s a proper size pot for your tree. It’s much easier to control the soil moisture in those smaller pots. 

Simon

Most of ones i got where little-to-roots since they were leftovers...  😁

What matters they were able to take.  So far 2 out of 16 have sprouted. The rest are still green.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2022, 04:17:31 PM »
I have started the transition out of bags finally, since I wanted to get them out of the garage and into some real light. The goal was to have them in the smallest containers possible, which I had hoped were 1 gals, but around half of them had roots that needs 3 gals and even some 5 gals. On many of the 1 gals, I’m seeing some nice thick hairy white roots popping out! I have not seen any on the larger containers, most likely due to the large volume of soil that they need to grow through. A small percentage had buds forming but now look to be dead unless there is life under the soil, at which point is garbage since I’m not looking to keep rootstocks from this order. Up til now, I’ve watered one time, and it was not much.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2022, 05:37:41 PM »
I have started the transition out of bags finally, since I wanted to get them out of the garage and into some real light. The goal was to have them in the smallest containers possible, which I had hoped were 1 gals, but around half of them had roots that needs 3 gals and even some 5 gals. On many of the 1 gals, I’m seeing some nice thick hairy white roots popping out! I have not seen any on the larger containers, most likely due to the large volume of soil that they need to grow through. A small percentage had buds forming but now look to be dead unless there is life under the soil, at which point is garbage since I’m not looking to keep rootstocks from this order. Up til now, I’ve watered one time, and it was not much.

Beautiful results! Congrats! I should probably check under mine to see if any roots are poking out. I think I've watered a total of 3 times. It has taught me a lot about how little water my potted plants actually need...

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 05, 2022, 10:34:02 AM »

Nice looking roots, there must be some signs of life up top as well. Make sure your transition to higher light levels is very gradual so the leaves don’t get burned.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2022, 10:49:12 AM »
Ann Hai top cleft on Californica doing well.

Biqi grafts starting to grow as well

These trees were stunted trees from my experiments last year. I thought they wouldn’t make it so I tossed them in the back and ignored them and they’re finally pushing now.

Simon

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2022, 07:44:47 PM »
So what did they look like before the push?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2022, 12:27:17 AM »
The An Hai was a top cleft graft that was stalled so it looked like a dead/sunburnt scion. There was a little bit of green on it so I didn’t toss it out. Here is a picture of the original scion. You can see the tip is completely dead.

Simon

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 06, 2022, 10:52:44 AM »

Well here is what they look like now.
3/4
Dk make
Biqi
An hai
Treatment for RKN has been going on, but I wonder if it’s just better to graft. I’m also wondering if rioting cuttings of these is possible? Has anyone done it before?

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 06, 2022, 11:34:20 AM »

3/4
Dk make
Biqi
An hai
Treatment for RKN has been going on, but I wonder if it’s just better to graft. I’m also wondering if rioting cuttings of these is possible? Has anyone done it before?

those look SOLID. From the March order?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 06, 2022, 12:06:21 PM »

3/4
Dk make
Biqi
An hai

those look SOLID. From the March order?
Yes! Spring really helps lol.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 06, 2022, 12:50:31 PM »
WuSu has been wilty, and An Hai seems to have lost its buds and died off. Any idea what's going on here Simon?

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 06, 2022, 12:57:29 PM »
Here are a couple of grafts that I have on M. californica.  I've had plants push pretty hard and then just brown at the tips and die. Some have dieback on the uppermost parts of the scions while still having healthy buds below, others have just deteriorated quickly and been dead scions. 

I really don't know what to expect on takes because it seems like they can push a while without having healed. I did graft pretty ginormous scions so wondering if I'm running off stored energy. 

On a seperate note, I think I'll probably have ~50 survivors out of 70

« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 01:03:14 PM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2022, 01:13:27 PM »
EPIC job Nate, looks really promising. At the very least you'll have some great scion wood from some of those plants to propagate in the future. Great stuff.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 06, 2022, 01:19:54 PM »
Wow so happy to see many people are have successes. 👍

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 06, 2022, 05:01:27 PM »
WuSu has been wilty, and An Hai seems to have lost its buds and died off. Any idea what's going on here Simon?

Rob, your tree looks pretty healthy. The droopy growth is probably from lack of wind blowing on it combined with strong growth from proper nutrition in the soil. If you let the soil dry out a bit between watering, it will keep your roots healthier.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk