Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 59608 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #550 on: May 17, 2023, 08:37:49 PM »
Yup, I bought a few containers of ladybugs and praying mantis to release in my fruit trees.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 17, 2023, 08:38:38 PM »
isn't that a ladybug?

Haha… Yes! The lady by population is incredible this year. They’re everywhere. Patrolling my Yangmei grafts for aphids. 👍🏼

You too? I have never seen this many lady bugs in the 10 years I've lived at the same spot. It's so cool to see them going to work!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 20, 2023, 12:55:31 PM »
Ladybugs rock! Fun to do releases, and love it when wild ones pop up.

m. cerifera has proven fairly easy to root. Just left some cuttings in a jar with water. Need to be super fresh.

When I cut rootstock, trying to save the tips for new plants/future rootstock.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 20, 2023, 02:59:41 PM »
Wow, that's nice. I stuck my cuttings in pots and it seems they have some small leaf buds growing.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 07, 2023, 07:59:41 PM »
I’m telling you, these things are tough. I took some of my worst seedlings out of 3” pots and put them in the soil in my work garden. Though clearly showing signs of transplant stress, they’re growing some new leaves inside that look ok.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 07, 2023, 11:10:35 PM »
I was just admiring my in ground seedlings today. From now on I'm going from 4" to in the ground with shade cages for the first year
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 07, 2023, 11:43:25 PM »
Wanted to say that after talking with many people and doing trials myself, I now come to the conclusion that yangmei will do well in zones 8 and up. Now I don't know the max though as chill hours seem to be required. I know many people who are hesitant to try yangmei down in south FL and PR as the lack of chill hours may be a problem. Now, there are many cultivars, so I think it's only a matter of time till we find one that does well in tropical climates.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 08, 2023, 12:01:34 AM »
Wanted to say that after talking with many people and doing trials myself, I now come to the conclusion that yangmei will do well in zones 8 and up. Now I don't know the max though as chill hours seem to be required. I know many people who are hesitant to try yangmei down in south FL and PR as the lack of chill hours may be a problem. Now, there are many cultivars, so I think it's only a matter of time till we find one that does well in tropical climates.
I'm getting seeds of a yangmei plant in hawaii that is self fruitful! Stoked!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 08, 2023, 07:44:37 AM »
I'm getting seeds of a yangmei plant in hawaii that is self fruitful! Stoked!

Are you sure it’s yangmei or is it another species?

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 08, 2023, 06:17:45 PM »
Also wanted to say that various rootstocks could maybe influence cold tolerance too? Still pretty early though so we need to test.
If anyone’s looking, should have more trees ready in a month.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 27, 2023, 07:16:09 PM »
Planted 4 Yangmei cocktail trees on Californica rootstocks a week ago. It's looking happy so far. 3 of trees has Dongkui, Black Crystal and Late Growing grafted on it.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 28, 2023, 06:55:56 PM »

Not going to call it a win yet but this is promising on my yangmei x californica grafts.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 03, 2023, 10:27:23 PM »

Crystal graft on californica - jeez, gotta say this one looks pretty promising... But I will resist calling it a win yet.

Broke up a community pot some weeks back and threw the seedlings into FoxFarm Ocean Forest - they have that real fluffy white tomato type root. I have tried a few in ground with good success and this one was just calling to me to go in ground.

Seedling in ground with a campomanesia xanthocarpa for midday shade. This is probably one of the best planting areas on my entire property and used to house a Pierce cherimoya which died this cold winter.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 10:32:16 PM by K-Rimes »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 04, 2023, 12:24:00 AM »
Everyone’s trees are looking great. It’s only a matter of time before our trees start fruiting. Keep up the great growing and keep the pictures coming!

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 04, 2023, 11:58:41 AM »
Kevin, congrats hope your grafts keep growing my grafts started out looking like they were going to grow with green little buds but then dried up haven't checked yet to see if scion is still green.

Tropical Sunshine

• Coastal TX, USA zone 9B (down to zone 8A during a freak freeze!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 06, 2023, 12:35:06 PM »

Since yangmei is historically native to the Southern Chinese provinces of Guangdong and Guangxi, near Vietnam, and interestingly enough, those provinces also happen to be the native habitats of the venerable lychee! So what am I trying to get here? Since lychee trees are known to grow and fruit in some areas of South Florida, I think it’s only a matter of time when yangmei will begin to adapt to the South Florida climate like their next door neighbor, the lychee...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 12:42:51 PM by Tropical Sunshine »
Teach a man to fish, and he will be able to catch fish for life.

Teach a man to nurture plants, and he will be able to eat durian, soursop, mangosteen, papaya, rambutan, and guava fruits for life!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 07, 2023, 01:41:40 PM »

Very nice rootball for being in a community pot.

Another 9 yangmei seedlings

These were split from the last community pot maybe a month ago, very nice root growth

Put this one in the ground, it was just asking for it!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 01:46:22 PM by K-Rimes »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 07, 2023, 06:47:32 PM »
K-Rimes,

Those seedlings look super healthy and I bet they will take off. Those will make excellent rootstocks and maybe we can even get lucky with some seedlings that produce excellent quality fruit.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 07, 2023, 09:31:53 PM »
Here’s a quick update on a few Yangmei I grafted onto M. Californica and Cerifera.

Dongkui grafted onto M Californica

Early self pollinating hermaphrodite grafted onto M Cerifera

An Hai grafted onto M Californica

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 07, 2023, 09:38:22 PM »
Improved Biqi grafted onto Rubra seedling

White Honey grafted onto M Cerifera

Giant 8 inch leaves from an An Hai on Rubra rootstock from one of original group buys. The leaves are huge because half the tree is shaded by my sugarcane.

Simon

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 07, 2023, 10:29:56 PM »
Improved Biqi grafted onto Rubra seedling

White Honey grafted onto M Cerifera

Giant 8 inch leaves from an An Hai on Rubra rootstock from one of original group buys. The leaves are huge because half the tree is shaded by my sugarcane.

Simon
Simon, do you know which an hai it is? I know there’s a hard and soft variant.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 08, 2023, 01:26:42 AM »
The scion from this one came from the original group buy and it was just labeled An Hai so I’m just calling this one An Hai. I have what’s called an Improved An Hai which is supposed to be slightly better quality but I won’t have confidence in any of these varieties until I have fruited them.

I am extremely upset at some of the farmers from the group buy because myself and many of my friends have purchased the trees only to find out that some of the trees, mostly males, were just seedlings. Some of the farmers may also have been selling varieties like Biqi and potentially labeling them as something else like Black Carbon or Big Black Carbon. We really won’t know for sure what we got from the group buys until we fruit them and that should be happening within the next couple of years.

There’s also the whole issue with the Root Knot Nematodes.

I completely stopped planting any Yangmei plants originating from China because I noticed a general decline in the health of those trees compared to trees I grafted onto my own disease free rootstocks.

Simon
Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 08, 2023, 11:18:55 AM »
Simon, those are some beautiful grafted trees that you made congrats on successfully growing and grafting yangmei ;) 8)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 08, 2023, 02:53:17 PM »
Thanks ScottR!

Here’s a Wandao grafted onto Cerifera rootstock.

And this is what happens if you don’t prune your tree. This is a Biqi grafted onto M Californica. It grew to 5 feet in under one year. It should have been pruned much lower in order to form lower scaffold branches to make harvesting of fruit easier.

Simon

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 08, 2023, 03:29:22 PM »
Nice job Simon, you should have YangMei fruits soon.  Those YangMei fruits are selling in weee are under ripen and not as juicy as they supposed be.