Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 61531 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2022, 12:12:51 AM »
Nick, you can graft when the scions are healthy.

You can tell by looking for the green color, swollen buds and lack of wrinkly brown wood. If your cambium looks brown and has some wrinkles in it, don’t bother using it for grafting. I believe other members have already taken scions from their trees to graft onto alternative rootstocks.

Simon

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2022, 01:11:41 AM »
Nick, you can graft when the scions are healthy.

You can tell by looking for the green color, swollen buds and lack of wrinkly brown wood. If your cambium looks brown and has some wrinkles in it, don’t bother using it for grafting. I believe other members have already taken scions from their trees to graft onto alternative rootstocks.

Simon

Thanks for the feedback Simon, just ordered the tree. Will update how this goes.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2022, 04:15:04 PM »

Here’s a picture of my an hai roots. You can see the nodules caused by RKN? I took a sample and looked at them under a microscope and a dissecting scope but couldn’t find any.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2022, 04:55:21 PM »

Here’s a picture of my an hai roots. You can see the nodules caused by RKN? I took a sample and looked at them under a microscope and a dissecting scope but couldn’t find any.

First pic of roots post-planting, that I’ve seen. New white roots! That’s awesome to see. How many times have you watered?

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2022, 05:06:55 PM »
Just received the nematode control. Not sure how much to use for each gallon of water. How much do you guys use on your yangmei trees? Label says 8oz in 6gallon of water for mostly everything.  Think thats safe for the new bare rooted trees? Thanks

« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 05:23:38 PM by fruit4me »

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2022, 06:03:27 PM »

First pic of roots post-planting, that I’ve seen. New white roots! That’s awesome to see. How many times have you watered?
Thanks! I've watered only a handful of times. I think I might have overwatered the black crystal though as the leaf tips are dying...Tree should be fine as long as I don't over water again. The an hai was drier than expected, but it's doing the best. Better to be too dry than over water.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2022, 11:00:55 PM »
Just received the nematode control. Not sure how much to use for each gallon of water. How much do you guys use on your yangmei trees? Label says 8oz in 6gallon of water for mostly everything.  Think thats safe for the new bare rooted trees? Thanks

I just divided 8 by 6 and used 1.33 oz per gallon. I did it as a bare root dip and then used a fresh batch for initial watering. My trees survived fine.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2022, 11:08:04 PM »

That’s great news you don’t see any but you do have to worry about eggs and if you already planted into the soil, wether it be in a pot or in the ground, it would be nearly impossible to look under a scope and scan that large of a surface area to try to find these tiny worms.

Inspection under a scope should be done when you initially received the bare root trees and even then, the RKN may be inside the roots. Best to prophylactically treat them.

Your trees roots are definitely growing out nicely. With the warming of our weather, the Yangmei trees should see a growth spurt really soon.

Simon

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2022, 11:34:25 PM »

That’s great news you don’t see any but you do have to worry about eggs and if you already planted into the soil, wether it be in a pot or in the ground, it would be nearly impossible to look under a scope and scan that large of a surface area to try to find these tiny worms.

Inspection under a scope should be done when you initially received the bare root trees and even then, the RKN may be inside the roots. Best to prophylactically treat them.

Your trees roots are definitely growing out nicely. With the warming of our weather, the Yangmei trees should see a growth spurt really soon.

Simon
Thanks Simon. You've provided invaluable information to the whole forum on taking care of these.
I dug it up to take some roots as I assumed they would be in the nodules so I cut those open, but didn't see anything. Anyways I just got the nematode control and will be treating my trees for them. Then I'll follow up with those beneficial nematodes you recommended.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2022, 12:21:07 AM »

I just divided 8 by 6 and used 1.33 oz per gallon. I did it as a bare root dip and then used a fresh batch for initial watering. My trees survived fine.

Simon
Thanks for leading the way Simon

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2022, 12:22:07 PM »
I have just read through most of this thread.  I am no RKN expert but from the online research I have done it appears that once RKN are in the roots of a plant there is no way to get rid of them.  The treatments people are doing to their plants will help eliminate the RKN in the soil but not the plant itself.  Here is a link to an article written by North Carolina State University professors and associates.  They are professors that specialize in Entomology (the study of insects) and plant pathology.  They are the experts in this area and according to them you can treat the soil for RKN but once it is in the roots there is no way to eliminate it from the plant.  They say this in the third paragraph of the article.  It says "Once the nematodes are inside the roots, effective treatments are not available."

https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/control-of-root-knot-nematodes-in-the-home-vegetable-garden

I would recommend everyone who obtained these trees to consider them infected until proven otherwise.  If you are going to keep the trees then grow them in pots in isolation.  Make sure you contain 100% of the water run off from watering the plant.  Make sure to disinfect hands and tools or anything else that touches the plant soil.  Once the plant is large enough take scions from it and graft them onto rootstocks.  Then solarize the original plant and soil before throwing it out.  RKN should not be taken lightly.  Once they are in your properties soil they are almost impossible to eliminate.

The picture of roots posted above by Jaboticaba45 appears to be infected with RKN.  Again I'm no expert but the sacks and knots in the roots appear to me to be RKN.

Bill

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2022, 01:53:06 PM »
Bill,

On containing the RKN, are you saying it can be in the water and so no water can escape into the ground or it can get into the yard and roots of all my plants?

Sounds like I will need to graft these branches and throw away the rootstock. This is a serious issue, don't need any RKN in my yard with all my other rare fruit trees.

Kaz

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2022, 03:07:36 PM »
Bill,

On containing the RKN, are you saying it can be in the water and so no water can escape into the ground or it can get into the yard and roots of all my plants?

Sounds like I will need to graft these branches and throw away the rootstock. This is a serious issue, don't need any RKN in my yard with all my other rare fruit trees.

Kaz
Too much, or any water that leaves the pot could contain nematodes or nematode eggs. I'd be very careful since I heard they do well in sandy soils of socal and fl.
Mine are on a table under an umbrella in trays and buckets.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2022, 04:01:50 PM »
Ok, thanks for confirming it will pass along in the water. I will put all my pots with trays to catch the water. As soon as I graft any good branches, I'm getting rid of the rootstock.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2022, 04:40:00 PM »
Yes, the water run off from infected plants can spread the Nematodes.  Where ever the water goes the nematodes can possibly spread also.  If the water runs out of an infected pot and then spreads under other pots surrounding it, they can become infected.  If the water runs off into your grass or dirt they can spread there.  Nematodes tend to like warm sandy soil.  Some/many people have them already but they don't thrive.  When they do find a yard or area that meets their requirements to thrive they can cause a lot of damage.  Once they are in your soil they are impossible to get rid of.  You then just need to try and manage them with multiple treatments a year.

Bill

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2022, 05:13:23 PM »
Is RKN more of a tropical/subtropical issue? Or can they survive in places with hard freezes?

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2022, 05:17:05 PM »
Is RKN more of a tropical/subtropical issue? Or can they survive in places with hard freezes?
I'm no expert, but what I've read is that the hapla species...which was found on it is able to live in colder places...It's also known as the northern root knot nematode.

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2022, 07:22:03 PM »
It was suppose to be fun experiment. But unfortunately it's been a bit of a headache and regrets with the RKN issue.  I plan to graft to clean rootstock and will continue to use the nematode control for several several months or until the plants die ahaha.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2022, 07:44:11 PM »

Here’s my best looking tree an hai. My black crystal new shoots died back probably cause of overwatering. Not sure if it’s going to regrow or die. As long as I have one tree so I can graft scions on then I’m happy. Though it would be nice if the male and at least 1 female made it. The male and the biqi are a little behind but are growing also.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2022, 09:24:31 PM »

Maybe they have been treated with a nematicide before shipping?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2022, 02:04:31 PM »

Buddy tape really works. They were parked but still alive for weeks. Wrapped them up and in just a few days they budded out.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2022, 02:25:03 PM »

Here’s my best looking tree an hai. My black crystal new shoots died back probably cause of overwatering. Not sure if it’s going to regrow or die. As long as I have one tree so I can graft scions on then I’m happy. Though it would be nice if the male and at least 1 female made it. The male and the biqi are a little behind but are growing also.
Yeah Jabo. I'm gonna have to call B.S. on that photo. Firstly, it is clearly in violation of section 3 of the North American  Fruits and Foods act. Secondly, it looks like it may have some biological problems. As a duely sworn member of the Northy Carolina division of the National Yang Mei Inspection  and Evaluation Bureau, I'm going to have to sieze that plant. Nothing personal. I'm just doing my job.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2022, 02:27:06 PM »

Yeah Jabo. I'm gonna have to call B.S. on that photo. Firstly, it is clearly in violation of section 3 of the North American  Fruits and Foods act. Secondly, it looks like it may have some biological problems. As a duely sworn member of the Northy Carolina division of the National Yang Mei Inspection  and Evaluation Bureau, I'm going to have to sieze that plant. Nothing personal. I'm just doing my job. ;D

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2022, 03:25:00 PM »

Yeah Jabo. I'm gonna have to call B.S. on that photo. Firstly, it is clearly in violation of section 3 of the North American  Fruits and Foods act. Secondly, it looks like it may have some biological problems. As a duely sworn member of the Northy Carolina division of the National Yang Mei Inspection  and Evaluation Bureau, I'm going to have to sieze that plant. Nothing personal. I'm just doing my job. ;D
None of yours made it?  You can be the first person in NC to fruit this - don’t give away your head start.  :P

I’m sure others are having success. Let’s see some pictures!

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2022, 04:09:00 PM »

None of yours made it?  You can be the first person in NC to fruit this - don’t give away your head start.  :P

I’m sure others are having success. Let’s see some pictures!
All my buds are small. I don't want you guys making fun if me :-[