Author Topic: Germinating Plinia  (Read 830 times)

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 6a
    • View Profile
Germinating Plinia
« on: April 06, 2022, 07:27:26 PM »
Hey everyone, I am expecting some plinia inflata seeds sometime this week, what is the best way to germinate them? Should I just leave them in the medium they come in until the sprout?

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Germinating Plinia
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 07:53:20 PM »
I just put mine in plugs and onto a heat mat, get really good results with that. Its always best in my opinion to have them in the ground before they sprout so you dont brake any roots . I live in buffalo though so you may not need the heat mat lol.
Bill

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 07:54:03 PM »
Just seen where ur at......ya ull need a heat mat 😂😂😂
Bill

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 10:11:19 PM »
I took home some sabara seeds from fruit I ate and put them in a damp paper towel, they were already germinating on their own in a week

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 10:18:58 PM »
I've had struggles germinating them and keeping them alive...I believe the secret to success is choosing a well draining mix and keeping them in partial shade for the early stages. Also, don't repot them right away, as it will stunt them. At least wait until they hit the 6 month mark. So make sure to put them in a decent sized container. But don't have it too big or else it can be harder to control moisture in the soil. This is what works for me.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 10:43:03 PM »
I bought my mulchi seeds from farwellfruitfarm.com when they were on there, he’s always got good selection but my limited experience with the six seeds I have is patience. In my opinion they start off slower than cambuca and cambuca seemed to take forever vs the usual jaboticaba. I kept poking around under soil after months thinking mulchi were dead nope they were alive with roots beneath surface just not breached surface with leaves. All I did is what I do with all my seeds, soak in peroxide for 24 hours and then plant.

-Joe

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 09:07:08 AM »
Just seen where ur at......ya ull need a heat mat 😂😂😂
Lol, I was going to say It ain't much warmer over here 😂

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 09:09:18 AM »
I bought my mulchi seeds from farwellfruitfarm.com when they were on there, he’s always got good selection but my limited experience with the six seeds I have is patience. In my opinion they start off slower than cambuca and cambuca seemed to take forever vs the usual jaboticaba. I kept poking around under soil after months thinking mulchi were dead nope they were alive with roots beneath surface just not breached surface with leaves. All I did is what I do with all my seeds, soak in peroxide for 24 hours and then plant.

-Joe

Thanks for the info! I don't have peroxide, do you think I will need it?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 10:41:34 AM »
100% Vermiculite

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 11:16:50 AM »

-Joe

Thanks for the info! I don't have peroxide, do you think I will need it?

Hydrogen peroxide has some antifungal / antibacterial properties, it’s basically water (H2O) with an extra oxygen molecule. I soak all the seeds I buy in over the counter hydrogen peroxide to sterilize them of any possible pathogens, also hydrates them. Here is another article helpful tips to prevent seedling damping off https://extension.umn.edu/solve-problem/how-prevent-seedling-damping

-Joe

digigarden

• digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 12:10:31 PM »
If the seeds are from the internet or expensive=I'm using potting mix brand "sun gro"...it has peat moss,perlite and dolomite lime.
If the seeds are are cheap or local i'm using builders sand straight up.

Water with rain or drinking water + a few drops of honey for fungicide. This always works for me.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 12:12:10 PM by digigarden »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk