Author Topic: DWC Hydroponic Red Jaboticaba  (Read 695 times)

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
DWC Hydroponic Red Jaboticaba
« on: April 20, 2022, 06:37:34 PM »
Hi all, I've been documenting this on one of the Plinia groups on facebook but decided to start to post to its own thread here as well. I was inspired to do this as one of my friend's had attempted this with a bit more neglect which eventually led to his plant dying, as well as seeing @skhan attempt (https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=25450.msg401842) this as well.

About a year ago I decided to take two red hybrid jaboticaba seedlings ~3 months old from seed and throw them into my aerogarden, in short, one seedling (the one that was originally smaller) showed new roots in 3 weeks while the other basically froze with no new root growth for months on end until I finally decided to throw it out.

The result of that is what you see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qmmzLQBuHI

Additionally, to provide some more details/data, I've compiled an image album showing some update pictures from beginning to nearly current day: https://imgur.com/a/CiQ37HF

Few things to add on:
  • growth speeds could've been quicker, at first I was extremely conservative and tapering up light and nutrients, I also have given the plant a few haircuts, some quite large..
  • dwc from the beginning would've likely been superior to aerogarden, the transition from the aerogarden to dwc showed some shock
  • I did deal with burnt tips at first while experimenting with different nutrient blends
  • I did deal with algae build-up in the first few months using DWC due to higher reservoir temps, etc this has mainly been mitigated by using Hydroguard
  • future plans are undecided, could be solar powered outdoor DWC or a transition to soil, I would like to fruit it in DWC but based on the initial 'runty' genetics I suspect it might take awhile, maybe I'll graft fruiting scions to it..
  • plant would be more robust if there was some humidity control/airflow in my tent, I need to run a fan to at-least strengthen some branches..
Nutrients I've tried/used:

* AeroGarden Liquid Nutrients - (4-3-6) not bad but price..
* General Hydroponics MaxiGro - (10-5-14) too much calcium for me
* FoxFarm Grow Big (Hydroponic version) - (3-2-6) bad idea for DWC, aerating organic nutes turns into compost tea and makes the roots look very sketchy
* Dyna-Gro Grow - (7-9-5) currently using this @ 5mL/gal

Supplemental nutrients: Botanicare Hydroguard @ 1-3mL/gal

Setup
  • 5 gallon food-grade safe black bucket from home depot
  • two airstones
  • small pump + tubing
  • SF1000 (2020 edition) @ 16/8 light schedule

Because I rarely top-off or add extra nutrients, every 1-3 months I will do a water change where I completely dump the reservoir and add fresh water + nutrients + supplemental nutrients. Sometimes the plant goes into a light shock lasting 1 week where the foliage will appear a bit thin and droopy but bounces back.

Shout-out to Simon for convincing me to lower my PPM/nutrients, funny, when I started this project I was extremely conservative, then I went off the rails and stunted the plant..

Feel free to ask any questions, I know this may seem tedious but its been an enjoyable experience so far and I hope some of my zone pushing friends will attempt similar experiments - ideally with an even faster fruiting variety such as Scarlet.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 07:57:30 PM by socalbalcony2 »

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: DWC Hydroponic Red Jaboticaba
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 08:07:29 PM »
Good read! Thank you for sharing all that work. What did you find the "Sweet spot" of ppm to be for nutrients? The red looks very happy,  1year 3 mo to 1 year 4 months showed alot of growth!!!!
Bill

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 10:01:20 PM »
Very nice share and a good looking plant!

Thanks!

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 10:12:41 PM »
Good read! Thank you for sharing all that work. What did you find the "Sweet spot" of ppm to be for nutrients? The red looks very happy,  1year 3 mo to 1 year 4 months showed alot of growth!!!!

Thank you!

It seems quite happy right now at the recommended 5mL/gal dyna grow guidelines which comes out to a ppm for me of something like 800-1200ppm tops. I've tried 2000ppm and the plant did not seem happy. The younger it was 300-600 seemed better.. I also suspect results would be even better if my base water was distilled but I just use my city water instead.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 10:28:39 PM »
Nice job
Brad Spaugh