Author Topic: How is plant size measured?  (Read 971 times)

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
How is plant size measured?
« on: April 21, 2022, 10:30:25 PM »
Hi Hero members and all members of this forum. I recently bought 2 plants from a seller that stated the plants are 10 inches tall. I received 2 plants that are no taller than 6 inches. Seller stated that pot is also part of the measurement. I feel deceived, but is that how plants are measured? With pot or without pot when measuring tall?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: How is plant size measured?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 11:10:36 PM »
Including the pot is bs, the size is always the plant itself and never includes the container.  You have a legitimate gripe.

What did you buy and where did you get it from?

Legitimate sellers tend to be conservative with sizing, a "10in plant" will typically be 12in tall (not including container).  For tiny plants they'll show photos to manage expectations.   
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 11:16:44 PM by brian »

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 11:26:20 PM »
I thought so too, thank you for the reply. Seller stated he couldnt upload a picture when I asked for it. The seller is a senior member from this forum. I have no intentions of tarnishing anyones reputation and hope that this seller learns from this.

I informed the seller that if a hero member tells me I am wrong I will drop the case from paypal. As of now, I have escalated the case on paypal requesting a partial refund.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 11:47:56 PM »
Well I hope that they make it right, and if not you should certainly warn others. 

6in vs 10in can vary depending on how floppy the plant is and how you measure it.. but including the pot is just silly.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 12:08:45 AM »
Yea that is whack. I've also seen a few pics of the new trees from florida being sold in local nurseries, they are very small for their pot size. Understandable for todays marketplace but it still stinks

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 02:16:08 AM »
Seller accepted partial refund request and made it right. Appreciate everyone for the input.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 03:00:17 AM »
I agree with the others' statements. The quoted plant height should never include the pot height. Whenever I sold extra seedlings in the past, I always measured just the plant, rounding the measurement down to the nearest inch, and always stating that the measurement is just the plant's height, not including the pot's height. I would also measure from the base to the top of the stem, not to the height of the top leaf. Measuring a floppy plant is a little trickier; I tend to measure how high it stands, not how long it is. So, for instance, if the plant has a 12" long main stem that flops over and only stands 6" tall, then I would say it is a 6" tall plant.