Author Topic: Lemon Zest and Orange sherbert mango  (Read 3525 times)

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
Lemon Zest and Orange sherbert mango
« on: May 18, 2022, 07:59:21 PM »
Has anyone taste tested both Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbert mango? Any preference? Have had Lemon Zest and it ranks highly, in top 5. Would you put Orange Sherbert in your top 5 picks?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Zest and Orange sherbert mango
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 12:16:18 AM »
There are some great videos on YouTube comparing LZ and OS. I’ve tasted both and also PPK. If comparing the best I’ve ever tasted of each of these varieties, I would rank LZ as my favorite followed by OS and then PPK. Everybody has different taste preferences so try tasting all three. You may also consider Seacrest/Triplesec, Orange Essence and Peach Cobbler.

Simon

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 04:20:16 AM »
I like LZ more but Orange sherbet is excellent.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 07:39:43 AM »
Fruitwise, a perfect LZ beats a perfect OS, but not by much. Most LZ's I've had were not "perfect."

OS has less problems with disease, and is easier to manage.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 08:48:14 AM »
I have them both grafted in on the same tree, but only LZ flowered this season (holding 2 fruit now). It's pretty stark having them both side-by-side, the LZ issues are apparent year-round. OS bark is clean while a few feet away LZ bark is constantly covered by dark, sooty splotches (guessing it's some type of mold). LZ flowered twice last season, but PM wiped out the first flowers. I dedicated myself to spraying with sulfur on the second wave, managed to get a bunch of tiny fruit, but then I went away for a week at the exact wrong time. Several heavy rains the first two days were followed by high humidity and low winds the rest. It was a sad sight to come home to, PM once again wiped almost all of them out.

Next season the OS should flower (grafts will be 2+ yrs old), hoping to have a true head-to-head taste match-up.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 09:37:09 AM »
Fruitwise, a perfect LZ beats a perfect OS, but not by much. Most LZ's I've had were not "perfect."

OS has less problems with disease, and is easier to manage.

^This is pretty spot on.
I also feel like OS splits the difference between PPK and LZ in terms of flavor and texture

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 09:43:59 AM »
A very fond memory I have, devouring OS's poolside at a resort in Key Largo. Everyone was eating their fried food and sandwiches, but staring at the smiling caveman dripping mango juice all about. Heavenly.

Having said that, I've had an LZ or 2 that were simply astounding and more complex than OS.

So, I have an OS tree, an NDM with a large part that is OS, and a seedling LZ. Will probably add LZ grafts this summer.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 10:07:30 AM »
I will also add LZ can be tough to graft successfully, I finally got one take after a dozen or so attempts over 3 seasons. Alex (TAF) said as much when I happened to catch him last season at his farm. Fresh scions will surely fair better than those that spent several days in transit. OS was much easier, 2 of 3 graft attempts were successful.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 12:26:53 PM »
I have a large LZ tree that only gives a couple mangoes each year without any spraying. It's a fantastic tasting mango, definitely top 5 in flavor, but the tree size and disease resistance are big negatives. Orange sherbet is very good and has better tree attributes. If I were to plant again, Orange sherbet would get the nod. Is it a top 5 mango for me? Probably not, but to very many people it is. I do have a few grafted branches of LZ. I put them on vigorous varieties - Philippine, Haden, and Alphonso. Probably helped with the takes.
E.

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 09:30:26 AM »
My 5 yr LZ only gives 25 fruits. Branches cover with black fungus stuff. I would choose PPK or OS over LZ due to disease resistance and productivity.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 10:09:49 AM »
I like the taste of LZ better. In my yard, LZ is one of the few trees with a decent crop this year. The anthracnose resistance on this tree is fairly good. Powdery mildew can be a problem but not in my humid rainy area. I am not seeing MBBS yet either. Birds seem to prefer green LZ fruits to most other varieties so it does have higher crop loss from animals.  My mom has a small LZ tree and it also is holding fruit in this terrible year and she did not spray fungicides.  My smaller OS flowered and set fruit but anthracnose wiped out the crop despite weekly alternating copper and azoxystrobin spraying. Only 4 OS fruits remain on my tree.
Brandon

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 10:25:51 AM »
Orange Sherbet seems to be the most disease resistant of the three, very productive and the fruit is great quality.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 12:05:46 AM »
Just my opinion on Taste:

I prefer Lemon Zest by far. I say it’s king of the “citrus mangos” and OS is Prince, but OS could never take the throne.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 06:56:43 PM »
Taste wise, among 230 varieties I’ve tried over the last decade, I’ve never seen anything touch a good LZ. PPK comes closest. OS is top 5 all time great. Disease and waiting years -  a decade -  before LZ production hits its prime is another matter.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 09:41:27 PM »
Future I don’t want to jack thread but how has LZ production been progressively (or not) over the decade?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 11:49:19 AM »
Future I don’t want to jack thread but how has LZ production been progressively (or not) over the decade?

I can only relay what others have said. Dr. Campbell once remarked if he judged the tree up to Year 12 (or so) you couldn’t give him a free tree.  But around then, it took off.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2022, 06:02:34 AM »
Lz grows well but has lots of disease issues. Lots of flowers but fruit set is severely compromised.

Os grows easily but hasn't flowered for me for 3 years straight now.

Ppk grows like a turtle and holds a couple fruit.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 10:40:59 AM »
Lz grows well but has lots of disease issues. Lots of flowers but fruit set is severely compromised.

Os grows easily but hasn't flowered for me for 3 years straight now.

Ppk grows like a turtle and holds a couple fruit.
Man, so sorry!
John

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2022, 01:29:31 PM »
Must be a nice micro climate out here in SW Ranches, but I agree with Brandon. My LZ tree is the best performer in my yard. Tree is in full sun all day so maybe that helps. Planted it in summer 2014 as a 3 gallon from Mike Bender (RIP). It's just under 20'ft as I prune it heavily end of season. No ferts really, no foliar sprays. Late season fruit can get some anthracnose but it is a heavy producer and superior in taste to pretty much everything else. Fruit early in the season is generally clean.

Maybe, I'm just lucky with it's genetics, but it has been a workhorse for about 3 years now. So I'd say 5 years sounds about right for full production under ideal conditions.
Keith

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2022, 02:18:51 PM »
Between LZ and OS, LZ is my favorite. LZ has more complex flavor, and wonderful strong lemony taste near the skin IMO. My oldest in ground LZ was planted in 12/2018, bought as a tiny 3 gal from plantogram the same month. I didn’t let it fruit in 2019, 2020 it held 2 fruits, 2021 in held 5 fruits (if I am remembering correctly), 2022 it is holding over 20 fruits. Larger LZ in the back of the yard is barely starting to flower, it held a lot of fruits till late December. Mango growing season is very short in my area May to November or sometimes till December. We get nightly lows in the 40s till April and it is now slowly warming up to high 50s to 60s nightly, but day time highs can reach 90-100F with summertime highs of 110F for a few days. No frost and no more than 1 or 2 nights around 32F for an hour or two. Weather reference is to compare and show the size of a 5-6 year old mango tree grown in SoCal vs. in Florida where it can reach more than 10’ in the same amount of time.  This is the first year I have seen some PMs on new leaves, spraying of kaligreen/baking soda took care of it.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2022, 02:41:42 PM »
CA Hockey, you may have to move to the low desert or the border area!
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2022, 09:47:10 AM »
Might have another contender. Starting a new seedling from the lone Plutonic Pleasure mango I devoured last night. Juicy citrus flavor bomb with piney resin. Best mango of the year so far. Has anyone else tried?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2022, 10:10:13 AM »
What's Plutonic Pleasure, Rob?  (Is it polyembryonic?)
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2022, 11:07:27 AM »
Plutonic Pleasure came from MangoMen.

Not sure if poly or mono. Tortoises are cleaning the seed, then into a pot it goes. Hope to find out soon.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2022, 01:22:02 PM »
Plutonic Pleasure came from MangoMen.

Not sure if poly or mono. Tortoises are cleaning the seed, then into a pot it goes. Hope to find out soon.
Did it originally come from Gary Zill?
John