Author Topic: Looking for Rosigold tree  (Read 704 times)

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
Looking for Rosigold tree
« on: June 06, 2022, 12:32:13 PM »
Hey, Broward County folks. Was looking to support a local here in Broward who might have a 3 gallon grafted Rosigold for a friend who hit up the big box stores to no avail. Rather than drive around and kill my gas, thought I'd ask here first. Shoot me a PM if you have one you'd like to sell. Man do I miss Bender's Grove...
Keith

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Looking for Rosigold tree
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 03:52:53 PM »
I agree, I got most of my original trees from Bender's
Unfortunately, there is no other place in Broward that has the selection he did.

You can call Spykes nursey and see if they have anything.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 08:38:24 AM »
Back in the day, Mike was a great resource. I must have bought over a hundred trees from him. I am no longer in acquisition mode but I was curious to see what was around. I think I found something for us Southwest Ranchers and surrounding areas. Bills Tropical Fruit Trees. I spent a good deal of time with Mike and he spoke of a neighbor Bill that bought a bunch of trees and Mike always spoke well of Bill. I have not been to Bill's yet but Bill's is two blocks away from where Bender's Grove is located.

https://g.page/bills-tropical-fruit-trees?share
Brandon

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 08:36:17 PM »
Thanks for the rec's
Skhan it seems Spyke's is closed currently, but I took Brandon up on his guy, Bill. I ran over today (open after 5pm). Must say he's got a nice spread. Seems like he drives up to Zill's periodically and picks up a bunch of trees, mostly larger sizes and then passes but Truly Tropical to pick a bunch of their fruit to resell down here. (I must say, the per pound rice of mangos has doubled in the past year.) Had a couple buyers in front of my picking through what was left of his selection.

So he will be a resource going forward. The worst part of the visit was the drive past Bender's old place. The new owners kept most of the big trees on the periphery of the property, but cleared out A LOT. You can actually see the house form the street now. Sad.

Anyway, he didn't have the Rosigold, but seems like if you request a tree, Bill will check with Zill's to see if they have it, and then he will bring it back down. I have him checking on one for my friend when he runs up there again this Monday.
Keith

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 11:08:24 PM »
I need to go and check Bill's out. Thanks for scoping it out. I will drive a route that avoids driving by Mike's place. I don't want to see what was done to Mike's trees. I helped him pick fruit on a few occasions.
Brandon

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 09:24:07 AM »
Thanks for the review.
I've been meaning to get another Soflo persimmon so I might give him a call.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk