Author Topic: CORG Comparison  (Read 781 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
CORG Comparison
« on: June 06, 2022, 01:59:23 PM »

I multi grafted my CORG for cross pollination, but also comparison. From L-R, ScottR’s variety, Ben’s Beaut, and mine which is a seedling from Exotica.

They all came off with a slight touch so should be similar ripeness. Rob’s is a well balanced sour sweets, Ben’s a bit sweeter but still some sour, and mine even not as dark red is just pure papaya sweetness.

I also grafted some Garnet from Kevin Jones up top and look forward to that.

Also have an El Dorado seedling from Marcos and that one is very unique in that it has a eugenia funk sort of like the resinous flavor in in Pitanga. I found it more complex, albeit with much smaller fruit.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: CORG Comparison
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 06:19:06 PM »
 Cool little comparesion Kevin, sounds like I'll need to get your seedling variety when you have it available.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 06:24:01 PM »
Good to hear about the Exotica seedling generating quality fruit.  I have a couple CORG seedlings from them and hoping for similar results.  I assume his seedlings are all from the same mother plant.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 07:56:12 PM »
I have several but none have ever fruited. I suspect the one I got from Kevin Jones might Fruit first. I have some that I bought a few years ago in florida with one inch trunks that haven't done anything. Go figure.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 08:01:26 PM »
Cool little comparesion Kevin, sounds like I'll need to get your seedling variety when you have it available.

I kind of regret hacking it up so much, I was really vicious on the pruning and top working thinking it wouldn't be that good, but it's an all star. Sounds like Kevin's garnet variety has the same notes. I'll take the net off once this fruiting session is done, up pot it, and it should fly vegetatively so I can send some scions.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 08:02:05 PM »
I have several but none have ever fruited. I suspect the one I got from Kevin Jones might Fruit first. I have some that I bought a few years ago in florida with one inch trunks that haven't done anything. Go figure.

I bent branches over and tied them to the pot to widen it up and that set off a massive flowering episode, might be worth a shot. My trunk is about 1" as well now.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 08:03:16 PM »
Good to hear about the Exotica seedling generating quality fruit.  I have a couple CORG seedlings from them and hoping for similar results.  I assume his seedlings are all from the same mother plant.

Yes, I think so. I had some monster size fruit off the rootstock before this comparison. For me, it's the best of all of them. I'm seeding tons of them and will propagate a lot them for my property and local sale.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 08:16:00 PM »
You have a picture or instructions how to do that? I would most definitely give it a try.

I bent branches over and tied them to the pot to widen it up and that set off a massive flowering episode, might be worth a shot. My trunk is about 1" as well now.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 08:21:31 PM »
I drilled 3/8" holes in the pot, and used green nursery tape to tie some of the more vertical branches over. You can see how far I bent them in the background. You have to be really careful not to pull them over too hard or you can split the tree if it has a Y or something. I did it when the plant was quite a bit smaller and shorter. I would recommend tying to the outer most branches, tie to spots where you can get the tie in a spot where it won't slip down the trunk cause there are some branches to hold it there.

Again, be really careful not to over do it.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 12:57:48 PM »
Nice technique :)