Author Topic: WANGO! New Hibrids mangos by Richard Campbell?  (Read 2863 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
WANGO! New Hibrids mangos by Richard Campbell?
« on: June 15, 2022, 06:47:34 PM »
Has anyone taste or heard about this? Because he has renamed mangos in the past I don't know what to think about this
https://fb.watch/dG6hut2AJB/
El verde es vida!

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
Re: WANGO! New Hibrids mangos by Richard Campbell?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 07:00:58 PM »
Sounds like he found a few trees someplace and decided to make up a name and guess what they are a cross of..... FTG

Joe

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 08:57:32 PM »
So you don't think this is possible, like plumcots, apriums, and pluots?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 10:14:13 AM by johnb51 »
John

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 12:17:31 AM »
W(ild) (m)ango = cross involving a non-indica species. "Wango 2" is an elongated fruit, of decent size especially compared to some of the other wild mango species, and only a little fiber. Taste is very good.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 03:44:26 AM »
So you don't think this is possible, like plumcots, apriums, and pluots?  [ snip ]

Very likely possible.  Just prolly no one had tried up 'til now.

In orchid breeding complex hybrids often produce unstable progeny, showing overbreeding problems like distorted flowers or muddy colors or poor growing habit or susceptibility to diseases.  So backcrossing an orchid species to a complex hybrid orchid tends to stabilize the genetics and overcome things like crippled flowers and poor growth habits.

Mangos have been bred extensively for decades, so I suspect that Campbell's crossing of new material to create a Wango is intended to have a similar effect as with orchids as I described above.

I only saw the word 'wango' here on TFF a day or so before this thread and did not know what it meant.

With any luck at all wangoes could open up new breeding vistas and create some healthy hybrids that will be resistant to anthracnose and other mango aliments, plus modifying or intensifying some flavors.

We shall see . . . .

Paul M.
==

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 07:40:53 AM »
I know when Dr Noris was at Fairchild she was talking about the upcoming wild mango hybrids. I figured these came out if the same project. I'd assume Dr Campbell was part of this before he left and kept it going in his own orchard too

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 10:42:33 AM »
They seem quite promising, based on the few sampled so far.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 10:47:28 AM »
When will these hybrids be available to buy?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 02:33:36 PM »
I assume these were hybrids they came from seedlings but I wonder if the fruit is coming from a grafted tree and what rootstock was used? Maybe a top-worked tree to accelerate production?
Noris described the breeding experiments before.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 02:58:18 PM by pineislander »

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 10:02:21 AM »
All I wish for is a mango that can take temps down to 25F. That's it. My fingers are crossed that one of the wild mango crosses will have some cold hardy genes. It's a long shot though.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2022, 01:15:24 PM »
All I wish for is a mango that can take temps down to 25F. That's it. My fingers are crossed that one of the wild mango crosses will have some cold hardy genes. It's a long shot though.

That's a very good question, Gulfgardener.  But not knowing a great deal, myself, about mangoes, it makes me wonder which wild mango species grow where, and how cool/cold of a climate exists where each of them are native and survive.

I am betting that there should be at least a few of our TFF members who may be able to enlighten us as to which species of wild mango might have some significant cold tolerance to impart.

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
==

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 02:47:15 PM »
Perhaps we should seek the higher altitude mango/relative varieties? ...if cold tolerance is sought
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 02:48:56 PM by roblack »

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2022, 02:53:03 PM »
We put a man on the moon in the 60's and can't develop a cold tolerant mango. Nature is tough.

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2022, 03:16:08 PM »
Mangifera sylvatica is the Himalayan type. Actually I did a search and someone was selling seeds in 2019. Hmmm, now that I know, I might just request some and start my own crazy science experiments.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2022, 05:02:48 PM »
Would be hard to confirm you have a cold tolerant mango living in south Florida where it hardly drops below 40’. Id place the burden of developing cold tolerant variety on northern florida folks.

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2022, 05:27:50 PM »
It's very easy to protect mango at 25. I know a guy in north FL where it gets to 25 many years. His are in a greenhouse that's covered all year. A heater costs next to nothing to heat to 35 on a few days a year. The best part is he has none of the disease issues associated with rain and humidity. All it takes for cooling is a big exhaust fan up in the peak and openings on each end. I just saw videos of his place and the mango are loaded with fruit.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2022, 05:36:51 PM »
From the little I know about epigenetics, probably best to develop cold tolerant varieties in cooler regions. Expression of certain genes can be turned up or down, depending on environmental factors, from one generation to the next. Exposing parentage to increasingly cooler weather prior to breeding could help over successive generations.

Rauf

• Azerbaijan, Apsheron, Baku, 8b-9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2022, 02:44:59 AM »

The same with me :) Mangos are my favourite fruits, I had high hopes that Tim Thompson will succeed, but it seems, unfortunately, he couldn't. I even ordered Gomera seeds, and seedlings really have some cold tolerance, at least, they continued to grow in fall and started in spring in my unprotected greenhouse, while others still stay dormant, but of course, it's not enough to withstand our cold winter.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2022, 12:38:13 PM »
Picked up a Wango 4 today in box of goodies. Will post pics later. This one looks different.

Rauf

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2022, 09:54:37 AM »
Picked up a Wango 4 today in box of goodies. Will post pics later. This one looks different.

Could I ask you to send me a couple of seeds, if I give you USA address? I'd later share the information about it's cold hardiness in our climate:)

mysteryknight

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2022, 10:05:33 AM »

Could I ask you to send me a couple of seeds, if I give you USA address? I'd later share the information about it's cold hardiness in our climate:)

Roblack in other threads about this has said that he isn't going to give out seeds for these varieties at the moment.

Rauf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2022, 07:42:27 PM »

Roblack in other threads about this has said that he isn't going to give out seeds for these varieties at the moment.

Thank you for information, but maybe he’ll change he’s opinion? :)

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2022, 02:11:00 PM »

I mean maybe he won't give out seeds but he will sell the fruit.. K-rimes and I bought a wango4 last week when visiting Dr. Campbell, it was very interesting, flavor was great at first but followed up with some earthy weird-ness after for me..

He also said he is planning on getting the actual genetics tested..

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2022, 02:20:06 PM »
Yup, Socal and I had Wango 4. It was pleasant but then some kind of undertone. Earthy is not a bad reflection. I'm always around my diesel truck and somehow it reminded me of the smell / flavor of burnt diesel oil (unfortunately yes, I have tasted burnt diesel oil).

Would I eat Wango 4 again? Absolutely. Burnt diesel oil, I'll try my best not to.

I have the seed in soil and full sun and it should sprout in 2-3 weeks. It probably won't survive at my house so someone in CA should grab it from me.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2022, 04:16:56 PM »
Hmmm, I wonder if the Sri Lanka (M. zeylanica) seed I planted from the Fruit & Spice Park was fertilized by a neighboring tree? That could possibly make it a Wango, eh?