Author Topic: When do you decide to up pot your Guavas?  (Read 757 times)

xesoteryc

• NorCal
    • View Profile
When do you decide to up pot your Guavas?
« on: November 07, 2023, 02:03:45 PM »
I went from a 3 Gallon to a 15 this year and it exploded in growth, how many seasons should I wait before going up? I ask because I grew Cantaloupe this year and it took over the drip pan with roots a couple weeks into the growing season. Same with my Passion Fruit, it was in a 3 gallon to a 15 and took less than two or three weeks before the roots were in the drip pan.

Should I up pot my Guava and Passion Fruit if I want as heavy production as possible prior to next spring, or let them establish themselves even longer in the same pot?

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 03:25:30 PM »
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 07:09:05 AM by Tropicaltoba »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: When do you decide to up pot your Guavas?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 07:50:01 PM »
I finally started getting more guavas than I can eat at 20gal, so I am keeping mine there.  They are quite productive.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 10:05:00 PM »
I went from a 3 Gallon to a 15 this year and it exploded in growth, how many seasons should I wait before going up? I ask because I grew Cantaloupe this year and it took over the drip pan with roots a couple weeks into the growing season. Same with my Passion Fruit, it was in a 3 gallon to a 15 and took less than two or three weeks before the roots were in the drip pan.

Should I up pot my Guava and Passion Fruit if I want as heavy production as possible prior to next spring, or let them establish themselves even longer in the same pot?

Passion fruit and guava are going to be pretty different being a vine and a tree-

In general though, plants will try to grow roots first while they can- this doesnt mean no growth up top but plants tend to focus on roots first.

Once the roots in the pot are full the majority of growth will go into the top/fruit. but for most species you also begin the death of  the plant through root girdling but this is a slow process (years)

If you want fruit production, I would try to keep it in as small a pot as possible, guavaja tends to need a larger pot but there are plenty of other Psidium spp. that can fruit in even a 3 gallon pot.

If you want a long term tree with smaller fruit production in the initial years but a longer living and healthier tree in the long run, up-pot once the roots "hit the drip pan" until you get to your final size (I find 25-50g pots good) and then just let them be

cajachubby

• Dallas, United State
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 11:30:43 PM »

Hmm. I don't think lemons and guavas should be planted in the same pot. But if you just plant it temporarily, it's okay. It's best to leave them alone to watch them develop better

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 03:05:25 AM »
If you want fruit production, I would try to keep it in as small a pot as possible, guavaja tends to need a larger pot but there are plenty of other Psidium spp. that can fruit in even a 3 gallon pot.

Now my guava went into the ground two+ years ago and grew lushly to ten feet tall. But even with good watering and fertilizing it never bloomed or set any fruit.

Then it got pruned to six feet last year in June and grew back again but didn't flower or fruit.

Again this year in June it had grown back to about eight feet tall but no blooms. (This year it did not get fertilized like last year, but got plenty of water.)  And it got purned in July back to six feet once more but has grown another foot since then.

Not sure why this guava is reluctant to bloom.  It's a Barbie Supreme hybrid.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
==

chrisafix23

• Roseville, California Zones 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 09:00:59 AM »
Paul, from my experiences, I was able to get a guava tree to flower from pinching the tips of branches. I wasn’t even trying to get it to flower. I just wanted a bushier tree but to my surprise, the guava tree started producing flowers.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 09:31:19 AM »

Now my guava went into the ground two+ years ago and grew lushly to ten feet tall. But even with good watering and fertilizing it never bloomed or set any fruit.

Then it got pruned to six feet last year in June and grew back again but didn't flower or fruit.

Again this year in June it had grown back to about eight feet tall but no blooms. (This year it did not get fertilized like last year, but got plenty of water.)  And it got purned in July back to six feet once more but has grown another foot since then.

Not sure why this guava is reluctant to bloom.  It's a Barbie Supreme hybrid.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
==

Is it a seedling? I've heard of great success whacking tree trunks with an old broom handle at night-

Why at night?

So your neighbors dont think youve lost your mind when they see you walking around whacking trees  ;D

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 11:02:23 AM »

Is it a seedling? I've heard of great success whacking tree trunks with an old broom handle at night-

Why at night?

So your neighbors dont think youve lost your mind when they see you walking around whacking trees  ;D

Never heard of the broom-whacking thingy.

But to answer your QQ it was bought from TTropicals in a 3 gal pot and was about 3 ft tall.  So I didn't consider it a seedling.

Still can't figure out why it hasn't bloomed, as large as it has gotten.

Paul M.
==

xesoteryc

• NorCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 12:32:35 PM »
I finally started getting more guavas than I can eat at 20gal, so I am keeping mine there.  They are quite productive.

Any pics ? That sounds like the kind of problem I'm wanting to have. What's your best piece of advice? I fell in love with a Mexican cream so I took a chance on a Tropical Pink that I've yet to try, but got for a great price. I also got a Lemon Guava that tastes nothing like Guavas but I do love it. I'd buy a 50gallon if needed

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 01:55:28 AM »
Paul, from my experiences, I was able to get a guava tree to flower from pinching the tips of branches. I wasn’t even trying to get it to flower. I just wanted a bushier tree but to my surprise, the guava tree started producing flowers.

Thanks Chris.

Pnching the tips might be something I should try. 

Think I'll wait 'til next spring/summer, though, to try that.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2023, 05:24:12 AM »
I usually do not repot any plant, guava also, until the whole root ball is filled nicely with roots. Plants when repoted, first send strong roots that try to go as deep as they can, leading to roots showing tru the drainage holes shortly after repotting. That doesnt mean that the whole soil area has been occupied,  and doesnt mean there is a need for a repot. I always take out of the pot and inspect how tight the roots have grown, if they are pretty netted i repot. Another clue that there is a need for a repot should be the soil drying too fast. The soil check obviously can be harder to do ,if your pot i very big awready.

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2023, 02:52:49 PM »

Guava seems to root pretty fast. This is an airlayer I did a year ago and it has plenty of roots. It was placed in a 25g now 35 gallon. If I see roots poking through the holes on the bottom, it's time to up pot.

xesoteryc

• NorCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2023, 02:58:04 PM »

Guava seems to root pretty fast. This is an airlayer I did a year ago and it has plenty of roots. It was placed in a 25g now 35 gallon. If I see roots poking through the holes on the bottom, it's time to up pot.

Do you ever do root pruning? I heard it is super beneficial

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2023, 03:06:39 PM »

Do you ever do root pruning? I heard it is super beneficial

I rescued alot of guava and graft seedless guava to it. In that case, I do root prune alot. I haven't done any for tree already in containers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk