Author Topic: NissanVersa Fruited a Garcinia brasiliensis in Houston  (Read 939 times)

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
NissanVersa Fruited a Garcinia brasiliensis in Houston
« on: June 26, 2022, 09:17:41 PM »
Hey all-

I think he is probably too busy/bashful to share on here but I want to give a shoutout to NissanVersa who now has a fruiting Garcinia brasiliensis here in Houston.

It is grafted budwood on brasiliensis stock in an Air pot, I'll have to get a picture of the plant soon. The second year after grafting it has held fruit and he was kind enough to share one with me.

Needless to say this has massively increased my interest in grafting Garcinia- does anyone have good resources? NissanVersa used a cleft

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: NissanVersa Fruited a Garcinia brasiliensis in Houston
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 09:40:06 PM »
I assume you are referring to the lemon drop mangosteen…although not correct, many people still use the name intermedia to describe that fruit. This is according to the prince himself.
I gotta say congrats to that! They grow so slow outside of tropical zones! Mine is pushing along slowly. I hope for fruits soon.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 09:49:23 PM »
I thought intermedia and brasiliensis were the lemondrop mangosteen and superior lemondrop mangosteen respectively-

I am not an expert but FLNative on here sells them as 2 different fruits and they definitely were distinct when I got them from him

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 09:54:11 PM »
I thought intermedia and brasiliensis were the lemondrop mangosteen and superior lemondrop mangosteen respectively-

I am not an expert but FLNative on here sells them as 2 different fruits and they definitely were distinct when I got them from him
So as to Adam, he believes that the lemon drop is g.brasiliensis and there is the superior form with the larger fruit and elongated nipple and the regular form which is more spherical. Same species, but different varieties. Different types but same species, kind of like apples with many different types but same species?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 04:21:48 PM »
That is great news! Nice job NissanVersa!!

Re identity: Then what is g. intermedia?

I concur with elouicious, understood them as being different: g. intermedia is lemon drop mangosteen, and g. brasiliensis is superior lemon drop.

Have them both and others, they appear distinct even amonst similar looking garcinias.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 04:23:33 PM by roblack »

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 04:49:10 PM »
That is great news! Nice job NissanVersa!!

Re identity: Then what is g. intermedia?

I concur with elouicious, understood them as being different: g. intermedia is lemon drop mangosteen, and g. brasiliensis is superior lemon drop.

Have them both and others, they appear distinct even amonst similar looking garcinias.
I by no means am an expert…I’m just relaying info from what he thinks…the fruits do look different, but I’ve seen (and tasted) several variations going from very round to slightly pointed to very pointed. And some are orange and some are very yellow. Differs from tree to tree. Check out his videos.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 05:35:51 PM »
Flowers and fruits being different leads me to believe they would be different species but I too am new to this compared to Adam-

Phenotypes are not the best ways to identify new species though and it would be really great to get some genetic sequences on these

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 06:05:42 PM »

So as to Adam, he believes that the lemon drop is g.brasiliensis and there is the superior form with the larger fruit and elongated nipple and the regular form which is more spherical. Same species, but different varieties. Different types but same species, kind of like apples with many different types but same species?

Adam was the vender of my Garcinia Brasiliensis (superior Lemon Drop), and after fruiting confirmed ID. Moreover, he said to thin crop for larger fruit.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 06:48:16 PM »
I'm cool with them being whatever.

Lemon drop has been making us happy lately:

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 07:54:50 PM »
That they are.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 10:52:06 PM »
Thanks! The tree is still pretty small ~2ft and branched well. Its holding 5 fruit, these were the first. Cant wait until its big holding tons like that photo above!