Author Topic: Could this be Pitogo banana aka fig banana?  (Read 932 times)

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Could this be Pitogo banana aka fig banana?
« on: June 27, 2022, 12:38:00 PM »
The other day I was taking a ride along some back roads when I saw this banana with a small rack along a stream. I got out and checked it out because they looked different from a normal banana. Does anyone think they're the Pitogo variety?

I cut the rack and brought it home and it's starting to color up already. I guess when it's ripe I can comment on the taste and see if it compares to the Pitogo but I'm excited to know if it is so I can go grab a pup and plant it back here at the house! I like collecting different varieties of banana and this would be a cool addition.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
Re: Could this be Pitogo banana aka fig banana?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 11:39:31 PM »
Well they yellowed up so i picked off the softest one and tried it. I think I answered my own question. It's full of seeds! The taste is actually nice but there's so many seeds you just kind of have to suck off the flavor and then spit them all out.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 04:13:35 PM »
No, it’s not.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 06:38:45 PM »
You know, those seeds are not really a problem, at least if you don't value your teeth and don't care if you break all of them chewing on jagged, rock-hard, banana seeds. ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 06:42:54 PM by W. »

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 06:38:57 PM »
Hahahaha! Thank you for this amazing tidbit of information, you've won a the grand prize. I'll send you all the seeds of the banana. Just send me your address and they're all yours! Hahahaha

You know the worst part. I was so excited that it was actually Pitogo that I already went and grabbed a pup and planted it at the house. It's going to be biomass now until I find something else that will take it's place. I need bananas in the dry season and it hurts me to cut out ones that I actually use the fruit from

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 06:50:30 PM »
I am afraid I will have to decline your offer of seeds. I like my teeth. Besides, if I ever decide I want to break all my teeth on some banana seeds, I can just go out to the driveway, scoop up some gravel, and chew on it. That will give me a rough approximation of the texture of chewing on a seedy banana, though admittedly with less flavor.

On a serious note, maybe you can blend these bananas into some sort of smoothie and filter the seeds out. I hate to think of a good plant going to waste, especially since you already made the effort of planting it. But, those seeds really cut down on the usefulness those bananas.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 07:35:26 PM »
I'm not sure about blending but maybe mashing and straining would be better. It does have a really good taste.

Taylorhill

• SouthEast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 02:48:48 AM »
That is a Musa balbisiana wild banana. It is the B genome of modern hybrid bananas. They do have a good taste but not much pulp. About 80% seeds 20% pulp. Some places they will harvest them really early and boil them or pickle them. The seeds will still be white, soft, and underdeveloped. It’s known as “wild plantain” it’s known more as an “emergency food” now days though.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 06:08:46 PM »
Thank you for this explanation!! A lot of people here told me it's called Platanillo but they didn't know it had seeds.

I have a Musa velutina here also, could one cross these two species and expect anything interesting from the cross?

Taylorhill

• SouthEast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 11:02:07 AM »
Musa Velutina is considered a diploid musa Rhodochlamys. Musa balisiana is an Eumusa. It’s not impossible but bananas are hard to bred in general for me. It would be more fun if you have any seedless edible banana flowering to try taking the balisiana pollen from the male flowers and breeding freshly opened female flowers. I find it’s best to do in the early morning. I’ve bred a few musa ornamentals but find the seeds are very hard to germinate. Even using embryo rescue in vitro. Most embryos just don’t develop. I have flowered 2 of my successful musa ornate crosses sadly to get the exact same color as the parent lol. My luck. It’s fun though. Give it a try!

Ty Taylor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk