Author Topic: Banana leaf defformation  (Read 908 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Banana leaf defformation
« on: July 10, 2022, 03:21:04 AM »
This one is growing in the gh and lately started to send out somewhat defformed leaves, is this a nutrient defficiency or something else ? I think i havent overfed it, i usually spray with leaf fertilizers, the soil seemed a bit too moist lately so i am carefull and do not give it too much water...
The variety is most likely super dwarf cavendish.
The yellow leaves that are seen in the pics were the first leaves that the plant made after winter ,so they have nothing to do with its present condition. 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 03:27:19 AM by Plantinyum »

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
Re: Banana leaf defformation
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 05:15:51 PM »
Calcium/boron deficiency. Check out my website for more banana deficiencies https://tropicalselfsufficiency.com/banana-deficiencies-in-hawaii/

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 11:44:44 PM »
Calcium/boron deficiency. Check out my website for more banana deficiencies https://tropicalselfsufficiency.com/banana-deficiencies-in-hawaii/
thank you for offering this information, very helpfull. I'll get the borax and the calcium carbonate' just wondering if i could use the tablete one thats made for people?

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 02:29:57 PM »
Probably fine, but it will be hard to get a cup full to feed your banana!

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 03:24:39 PM »
Probably fine, but it will be hard to get a cup full to feed your banana!
i ordered 3 kilos from the stuff , not the tablet one but the regular.....i awready added boraks, let we see how the patient reacts....

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 08:22:24 PM »
It may take them a little time since its a rock. What I've found is that when I propagate new babies the youngsters will show deficiencies for a while before they start doing their thing. During this period I like to hit them with micronutrients and calcium 3-4 times a week. Once they get going i hit them once a month. I use down to earth products. Their liquid calcium and micronutrients are great in spray form. I've grown 110lb racks. Keep on feeding and watering them

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 11:05:41 PM »
It may take them a little time since its a rock. What I've found is that when I propagate new babies the youngsters will show deficiencies for a while before they start doing their thing. During this period I like to hit them with micronutrients and calcium 3-4 times a week. Once they get going i hit them once a month. I use down to earth products. Their liquid calcium and micronutrients are great in spray form. I've grown 110lb racks. Keep on feeding and watering them
thanks for the info ! I'll start to feed it more heavily. 

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 04:54:52 PM »
Calcium added today, i gave the plant half a water/ tea cup, hopefully i havent overdone it....

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 01:27:28 PM »
This is the new leaf after the adding of borax and calcium, its like 2x the size of the previous ones. I added more calcium carbonate to the plant, put some on my 2 other potted bananas also. I hope the trunk stops pealing for good....
Is there a chance i could overdo the calcium ?
Also i qonder if i should add some more borax also....?

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 08:56:47 PM »
Haha very cool! Deficiencies are a real thing! I'd be careful with adding too much boron. A little every so often is ideal. And for calcium it depends on your soil or soil mix. You don't want to make it too basic. I think if your spraying the calcium you'll never get a build up though

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 01:19:58 AM »
Haha very cool! Deficiencies are a real thing! I'd be careful with adding too much boron. A little every so often is ideal. And for calcium it depends on your soil or soil mix. You don't want to make it too basic. I think if your spraying the calcium you'll never get a build up though
I think i will have to add the powder in the cade of the banana ,sice when i have sprayed them before i hardly get droplets that stick to it, apparently they have a wax covering which prevents droplets from sticking.
I found a fancy hydroponics store so will ask there for a nice calcium fert that does not alter ph ...

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 03:29:38 PM »
When I do my sprays ill use a little dr bronners soap to help adhere the nutrients to the leaves. But ill do it later in the day before sunset. I've found if I do it in the morning it can burn leaves