Author Topic: Another Florida Escapade write up!  (Read 803 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Another Florida Escapade write up!
« on: July 22, 2022, 02:00:20 PM »
Hey all I just got back from FL and I guess I’ll share what went on down there…
First off, I want to thank everyone who let me come and visit. Many of the people I saw I met from here. The fruit community is close with each other and it’s like a spider web of connections.
This summer has been pretty boring with me just studying and such, but it was nice to have a fun trip before school starts again…anyway, I’m too tired to write up exactly who I visited and everything that happened, but here’s some pictures.

As you can see, I was gifted 2 jacks and one hybrid…unfortunately I dislike soft jackfruits and am slightly allergic to the sap. At one persons place, there was a big jackfruit with the biggest arils I’ve seen, but it was a soft one! Everyone enjoyed it except for me! Flavor is good, but where are the crunchy ones? The largest jackfruit in the picture was not too flavorful. I think I’m done with them. I’m still waiting on the hybrid to soften up. Last year I got one from the same person and i enjoyed it very much. I also got to tast lakoocha and it was very good…similar to Kwai muk.

At one person’s  pace I stopped by he gave me lots of fruit and such. But what caught my eye was the abiu. Based on past experiences, abiu is not good. It has a bad aftertaste and has sap. But I’m sooo glad he gave them to me. I now love this fruit and I can probably put it in my top 10-15. Give things a second chance!

I was able to source some seashore mangosteens from three different sources. People think I’m crazy, but I love this fruit. The flavor is so good like sour green apple. If you like sour fruits, this is for you!

Unfortunately this year for mangoes was bad. I missed the order in tropical acres farms. They post fruit for pickup at 9 or so, and I had the page pulled up and was about to order. But then my mom distracted me as she needed help finding parking and no more than 20 minutes later, they were sold out. Luckily many people here were willing to share their mangoes and I also got some from Zills.
I’ve had fun eating through them. This year the Pickering we had had a coconut taste. Ive never had that flavor before the Pickering before that were normal. Interesting ain’t it? I had Carrie and i fell in love with her. Another good one is Kathy.

I have to thank my mom for being willing to drive down and let her son buy trees and fruits. My dad was working so the driving fell onto us. This trip was so exhausting for her as it was 4 days of non stop driving from place to place. At least I helped out and got in about 8-10 total hours of driving. Also thank my sister for enduring being crammed in the back with all the trees. Fun times isn’t it?
I’d say I have the best parents in the world!

A big thanks to everyone who let me stop by. I think in total it was 10 different places ranging from nursery to collector to farm.

I didn’t mention anyones names of who I visited just in case they wanted to stay private. I don’t want to blow up other people or have people asking me how I got to visit some! I respect peoples privacy!
But if you don’t care, feel free to say something!

It was cool talking with everyone about fruits and tree related things. Can’t wait to go down next year or sooner…if things go right, I’ll be down before the year ends! Fingers crossed!

My tropical fruit growing has had a humble start from a first grader trying to grow a coconut in Virginia now to me having one of the most diverse collections of tropical fruit in TN. I’ve gone a long way and am excited for what’s to come! It’s nice seeing the result of time and work when I visit others who have been in the hobby longer than I have. Wherever you are or how accomplished you are, don’t give up!

This writing is very informal and may have grammatical errors. This isn’t English class, so let’s go easy now! Thanks for reading!

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
Re: Another Florida Escapade write up!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 02:21:53 PM »
Loved reading.
Made me want to go.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 04:06:55 PM »
Mom really indulges (spoils) her boy! :)
John

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 11:13:08 PM »
Hey Ryan,

Nice meeting you and was impressed by your knowledge of tropical fruit trees, keep up the good work in TN. Was wondering what your thoughts were on the super julie and if it ripened up ok?

-Joe

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 11:16:40 PM »
Hey Ryan,

Nice meeting you and was impressed by your knowledge of tropical fruit trees, keep up the good work in TN. Was wondering what your thoughts were on the super julie and if it ripened up ok?

-Joe
It was nice meeting you Joe!
I was impressed by the vast annona collection! Glad the monticola I sent over are doing good for you!
I believe I haven’t eaten the super Julie yet? Was it the reddish mango? I’ll google a picture to see. But I’m 99 percent sure I haven’t eaten it yet. EDIT yes I haven’t eaten it yet. I’ll open it up tomorrow. Those hombroniana were good! Can’t hate on the taste of those!
Thanks again for letting me stop by!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 11:18:39 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 12:48:20 AM »
Ryan, what a great trip report.  Loved readng thru it and seeing your photos.  You racked up on plants!

So a question:  Are tropical fruits your sincere hobby –or has it become an incurable disease?

I ask because that's what happened to me with orchids and later on with tropical fruit.

Anyway, if it's an incurable disease, well then, what a way to go!  (Wheee!)

Cheers & Thanx again for sharing your Florida trip with us.

Paul M.
==

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 02:22:03 PM »
Ryan, what a great trip report.  Loved readng thru it and seeing your photos.  You racked up on plants!

So a question:  Are tropical fruits your sincere hobby –or has it become an incurable disease?

I ask because that's what happened to me with orchids and later on with tropical fruit.

Anyway, if it's an incurable disease, well then, what a way to go!  (Wheee!)

Cheers & Thanx again for sharing your Florida trip with us.

Paul M.
==
Hey Paul,
It’s been a hobby for me but yes I would say I’m addicted to it? I definitely can’t imagine my future life without tropical fruit trees. I hope I can keep this hobby my whole life! Of course there are other things I need to prioritize and focus on in life, but it’s the best when I can relax and grow tropical fruit trees!

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 01:46:25 PM »
Hey Ryan,

-Joe
Super Julie opened up today!
I received another mango that looked like it so I opened up both of them...not sure if you gave it to me
I concluded one was super julie and the other one wasn't as one was super fibrous and spicy. The other was fiberless and good with a little kick. I assume thats super julie as per description of Tropical Acres Farms.
I enjoyed the super julie the flavor was good and not too overwhelming. Just the other mango was very strong. Reminded me of buxton spice!
The spicy/piney mangoes are growing on me little by little. I was fortunate to taste a carrie and it was very good. Also tried another Indian mango and the flavor was superior.
Don't think I'll like them more than the regular ones, but definitely worth it.
I'm glad I was able to try all of them as I've been keeping track of whats good as potential tree purchases in the future.