Author Topic: Does anyone have jocote for sale, rooted?  (Read 857 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Does anyone have jocote for sale, rooted?
« on: August 09, 2022, 02:37:09 AM »
I had one in the ground and it fizzled out.  Going to try growing it in a pot.  Just got scammed on etsy by someone sticking a rose cutting in a ball of mud and saying it was a jocote, spondias purpurea.   >:(

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have jocote for sale, rooted?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 03:05:10 AM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 03:09:38 AM by FV Fruit Freak »
Nate

Drstew

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 11:13:26 AM »
I was at shamus O’Leary tropicals about a week ago and pretty sure they had some good sized ones for decent price.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 08:57:33 PM »
Can confirm what Drstew said, Shamus O'Leary's down in South Mountain had some as of a week ago.

Just got scammed on etsy by someone sticking a rose cutting in a ball of mud and saying it was a jocote, spondias purpurea.   >:(

Condolences, that's super frustrating.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 11:33:58 PM »
I would rather have a colonoscopy everyday for the next 10 years than to give 1 cent to Shamus O'Leary.  There might not be a bigger a$$hole in the state of AZ.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 11:56:18 PM »
I would rather have a colonoscopy everyday for the next 10 years than to give 1 cent to Shamus O'Leary.  There might not be a bigger a$$hole in the state of AZ.

After speaking with a few nurseries owners the past few years seems like many dont hold him in the highest regards. I have also decided not to shop there anymore after hearing some stories. I'd rather just grow something from seed or buy from this community.

Also, don't they put you under for colonoscopies? Can't be that bad ;)

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 11:58:10 PM »
Plus can't you root it from a cutting? Maybe someone on the forum can sell you a few good sticks. I'm not growing any of the spondias yet.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 12:14:11 AM »

Lol, fair enough. I've rarely had trouble with the condition of the plants though, which is more than I can say for a number of online sellers (not on this forum, just in general, their names come up often enough). I'll ask around this week and see if I know anybody else who has one, I've seen them pop up rarely at the other tropical joints.

After speaking with a few nurseries owners the past few years seems like many don't hold him in the highest regards. I have also decided not to shop there anymore after hearing some stories. I'd rather just grow something from seed or buy from this community.

Not to derail the thread but man, if you get ANY of the local nursery guys talking about the others, it starts to sound like high school all over again. So much drama in the Phoenix rare fruit scene  ;D

The only thing they all agree on is that Moon Valley sucks.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 12:49:04 AM »
Well, there is a difference if you ask about Shamus vs. The others.  Like, moon valley us a horrible rip off and they don't know what they are doing.  The other growers, you'll hear they have plants mislabeled, don't know their inventory well enough, make promises they can't keep.
But, if you ask about Shamus, there will be a consensus.  He is a very, very bad person.  Has nothing to do with his business, just him as horrible human being.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk