Author Topic: San Francisco fruit recommendations  (Read 644 times)

nofspeppers

• New York, 7B
    • View Profile
San Francisco fruit recommendations
« on: September 14, 2023, 12:02:45 AM »
Heading in to Sf for a long weekend and was wondering if anyone had good recommendations to find fruit/trees. I’m going to the botanical garden but other than that, would love any input!

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco fruit recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 11:48:57 AM »
Species in SFBG

Austromyrtus dulcis
Drimys lanceolata
Luma apiculata
Syzygium smithii
Ugni molinae

at least a few more

nofspeppers

• New York, 7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 01:26:07 PM »
Nice I’ll be on the lookout for those, thanks!

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 01:42:48 PM »
Bi-Rite market sells less common fruits, they're pricey but I started a lot of the seeds so if you think of it that way, it was a deal. ;D. They sell Yangmei in season.  Last year in November they had different pineapple guavas, yellow passionfruit, good kiwis, red fleshed apples, and I forget what else...maybe figs.  I started a bunch of seeds from the fruits as well so that helps offset the higher cost.

Janet

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 02:24:37 PM »
I love how Ugni Molinae is just planted around golden gate park randomly , the botanical garden nursery is fairly prolific.
While there is not much in the way of good edible fruit at the botanical garden, there is a number of neat species to check for.
Bolivian mountain Coco's, Mac Nut, and different unique Passiflora hybrids. Not to mention it is just an epic huge garden .

You could also go to the giant glass greenhouse in golden gate park that is a mile or so from the arboretum.
There are a lot of non fruiting big tropical fruits there and it is really cool in it's own right.
Well worth the visit there was well.

For fruits go to the Ferry building farmers market for the best selection of CA grown organic fruit, direct from the farm.

Species in SFBG

Austromyrtus dulcis
Drimys lanceolata
Luma apiculata
Syzygium smithii
Ugni molinae

at least a few more

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 05:38:16 PM »
Tons of Fuschia spp. too- the fruits are edible

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 02:53:32 PM »
I love how Ugni Molinae is just planted around golden gate park randomly , the botanical garden nursery is fairly prolific.
While there is not much in the way of good edible fruit at the botanical garden, there is a number of neat species to check for.
Bolivian mountain Coco's, Mac Nut, and different unique Passiflora hybrids. Not to mention it is just an epic huge garden .

You could also go to the giant glass greenhouse in golden gate park that is a mile or so from the arboretum.
There are a lot of non fruiting big tropical fruits there and it is really cool in it's own right.

For fruits go to the Ferry building farmers market for the best selection of CA grown organic fruit, direct from the farm.

Species in SFBG

Austromyrtus dulcis
Drimys lanceolata
Luma apiculata
Syzygium smithii
Ugni molinae

at least a few more

There are extensive plantings of Ugni molinae in golden gate park? How long have they been there? Are they under some sort of irrigation? I always thought Ugni was from Chile's equivalent of coastal Oregon. I knew they used to propagate those like crazy at Merrick college and even sell them at their plant sale, but I didn't realize that it was compatible with the bay area climate.

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 05:31:08 PM »
There are lots of luma planted in GGP. I haven't seen any ugni outside of Strybing.

UC Berkeley Botanical Garden is worth checking out if you have time to go across the bay.

For buying fruit, Asian and Latin markets to find more exotic stuff.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 02:41:23 PM »
Correct. Not sure, some years, they are doing their little bush thing.
It's a big park , haha. I like to bike ride and skate through some of the area's.
The parks plantings are well irrigated, I believe the row I am thinking of by the bathrooms closer to the beach was too.

I don't think SF differs from a lot of coastal Oregon much , cold and foggy.
The other side of the Bay and plenty of micro climates in between is a different story.
It's not going to do well planted next to the fruiting Mango tree on Stevens Creek.

Barath was the person responsible for propagating all the rare fruits that were for sale at the Merritt College plant sales circa 2012-2015.
He is on off.

Species in SFBG

Austromyrtus dulcis
Drimys lanceolata
Luma apiculata
Syzygium smithii
Ugni molinae

at least a few more

There are extensive plantings of Ugni molinae in golden gate park? How long have they been there? Are they under some sort of irrigation? I always thought Ugni was from Chile's equivalent of coastal Oregon. I knew they used to propagate those like crazy at Merrick college and even sell them at their plant sale, but I didn't realize that it was compatible with the bay area climate.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2023, 04:48:29 PM »
There's a big Ugni at Quarry Lakes in Fremont.

nofspeppers

• New York, 7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 04:36:56 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk