Author Topic: Passion Fruit - discolored wrinkled section  (Read 614 times)

SallyJ

• Laguna Niguel, California, 10a
    • View Profile
Passion Fruit - discolored wrinkled section
« on: August 14, 2022, 09:09:35 PM »
Anyone know what is causing this on my passion fruits? I have several vines which grow well and product a ton of fruit but every year at least a quarter of them turn out like this.  Sometimes they are still edible, sometimes the fruit tastes furmented and I throw them out.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Passion Fruit - discolored wrinkled section
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 01:44:04 AM »
It's from the sun after the fruit falls.  Collect your fruits off the ground right after they fall and keep them in a shady spot.

Janet

SallyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 02:15:58 AM »
Ah ok that makes sense as I never see it on the vine.  I should have realized.  Thanks so much!!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 11:48:23 AM »
If my fruit set's in full sun on vine they do that too! but they need to fall before you harvest mostly still good inside pulp too!

SallyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 12:51:33 PM »
Interesting.  My vines are in full sun but I don't think I've ever seen it on the vine.  I find they mostly still taste OK but sometimes they taste a bit fermented.  So happy to know what it is as I've been trying to figure out what kind of disease or pest it was and I've spent ages searching online.  Happy to have found this forum!!!  :) 8) 8)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 07:20:25 PM »
Sally, were all glad you found this form too! 8) I could be some kind of disorder in soil or plant as in diease but not aware of any. There are so many variables within growing things so, it can be a challenge at times but if your also getting good shaped fruit off of your vine I wouldn't worry about it! :)

SallyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 04:19:56 PM »
Thanks Scott.  I think Janet's suggestion above is correct - due to the sun scorching them after they have fallen off the vine.  Since I've never seen this on the vine that makes sense and we've had lots of hot weather recently.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk