Author Topic: African Peach (Nauclea latifolia) - Looking for Cuttings or Seeds  (Read 1204 times)

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Updated post since I got the fig cuttings I needed.

Got a little project going, was hoping to see if any forum members had African Peach (Nauclea latifolia) seeds or cuttings before I go with etsy sellers.

Thanks!
Dan
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 03:10:11 PM by FloridaManDan »

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are all "common" variety figs that don't produce viable seeds due to lack of pollination from a fig wasp and a male tree. They just produce sterile, tasty fruit with bunk seeds.

Those that aren't "common" varieties that are pollinated are rare, region-specific, and don't grow true to type since male trees are involved.

I believe they can only be propagated from cuttings, air layers, or tissue culture. Tissue culture would get you closest to a "seedling" type growth and are free of any fig virus that can inhibit vigor. Rooting cuttings is the gold standard though, and you can get them on www.figbid.com.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 01:30:17 PM by Fygee »
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

aaronn

• USA, CA, Napa 9b
    • View Profile
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are all "common" variety figs that don't produce viable seeds due to lack of pollination from a fig wasp and a male tree. They just produce sterile, tasty fruit with bunk seeds.

Any caprified (“pollinated”) fig will produce viable seeds. Common varieties don’t require caprification to produce fruit, but they do require caprification to produce viable seeds.

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
Gotcha. Thanks! I did a little more digging, and fig wasps are only found in areas of Southern California in the US where there's some establishment of wild "caprifigs" they use as their primary source of completing and starting their life cycle.

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-home/477117-fig-wasp-natural-range-in-north-america

Which goes back to the whole "need a male tree, fig wasp, not true to type, really rare" thing. Only way you're getting viable seeds for any of those varieties is if they're grown in Cali in tandem with those wild figs, which is possible but highly unlikely you'll be able to acquire them on places like Etsy.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

StelaG

• Central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
cuttings is your best option, figs root nicely from cuttings.   Most establish nice root systems from cuttings.  You can try and get some seeds from California or just  buy the fresh figs from the super market that come from California and plant the seeds.  But know that they can take 3-5 years to produce any type of fruit and the chances of getting any edible fruit from a seed grown fig is slim.  Wait till winter and cuttings are more readily available from a bunch of sellers. 

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
I appreciate the information everyone. I was not very concerned with fruit quality but rather a strong plant or rootstock to start with. I know they are aggressive rooters so perhaps I will update the post and try for some cuttings or maybe use figbid. Thank you.

Post updated cause I got a good deal on figbid. Still looking for African Peach!

- Dan
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 03:10:38 PM by FloridaManDan »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: African Peach (Nauclea latifolia) - Looking for Cuttings or Seeds
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 04:05:19 PM »
Ebay seller "camplus"
sells african peach scions
I've purchased from him before.

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 04:27:03 PM »
Ryan thanks for the info, although they didn't come up under that name in my eBay search. I have been looking at a few ebay and etsy sellers.

- Dan

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 04:45:53 PM »

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 04:51:39 PM »
Thank you!

umass2006

• Plano
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 04:53:58 PM »
I believe someone was selling cuttings not too long ago here. Maybe do a search and contact the seller?

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 04:56:45 PM »
Does Nauclea latifolia root easily from cutting?

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 05:06:08 PM »
Does Nauclea latifolia root easily from cutting?

I failed to root it.

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 06:10:06 PM »
I believe someone was selling cuttings not too long ago here. Maybe do a search and contact the seller?

I messaged a seller on here who had seedlings a while back but didn't find anything regarding cuttings on the forum.

I read that it is possible to propagate from cuttings but haven't found a % success rate.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2022, 06:49:49 PM »
See this post.  I assume the batch is all gone but you may want to reach out to OP.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=45795.msg446010#msg446010

FloridaManDan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 06:52:27 PM »
@Orkine eyy thats clutch thank you.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 07:17:23 PM »

I messaged a seller on here who had seedlings a while back but didn't find anything regarding cuttings on the forum.

I read that it is possible to propagate from cuttings but haven't found a % success rate.

Yes cuttings work well, it's decent like 30% or better if conditions are good and quality cuttings. I sold cuttings in the past, I have a self fertile fruiting tree.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jibril enterprise

• Home of rare African seeds and agricultural products
    • Pankrono estate, Kumasi, Ghana
    • View Profile
    • Jibril Enterprise

moquinn1

• Beech Island, SC Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2022, 10:03:42 PM »

Yes cuttings work well, it's decent like 30% or better if conditions are good and quality cuttings. I sold cuttings in the past, I have a self fertile fruiting tree.
[/quote]

Are you saying you have an African Peach? I am also looking for one and would love a plant or cutting!

moquinn1

• Beech Island, SC Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2022, 10:05:56 PM »

Clearly I don't know what I am doing on here! I am trying to reply to Nullzero....

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2022, 04:15:45 PM »
I don't have any plants, cuttings, or seeds right now. Check back with me in late November, I may take some cuttings then.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.