Author Topic: What is wrong with this grimal?  (Read 915 times)

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
What is wrong with this grimal?
« on: August 26, 2022, 12:45:50 PM »
Leaves seem pretty thin.

Also, would azalea mix be a good potting soil for jabos? For the acidity

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with this grimal?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 01:22:36 PM »
My jabos periodically get bothered like that sometimes. They tend to spring back, sometimes it takes forrreeverrrr though. In my case, I think it's due to extremely hard water and lockout. I add a bit of fertilizer and that seems to help them out. Liquid fertilizer seems to really be the ticket for situations like these.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 01:49:50 PM »
My Grimal looked like that for a while, when in a pot, and took a bit to bounce back after planted in ground. Still doesn't look quite right, but is moving in the right direction. Yours looks healthy and strong enough, should be okay.

How long has it been in that pot?

Make sure it doesn't dry out.

Dappled sunlight is what I would go for at that size and looking stressed with few leaves. Some mistings might be good. Fert, as mentioned, is a consideration.

Grimal seems to grow faster than my other jabos. Hopefully it will take off for you soon.

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 02:53:13 PM »
Sometimes my jabos will start to show signs of lockout like that and ill hit it with some iron and they green right back up. If you dont use any ferts i would try feeding it before giving it just iron. Also what everyone else said lol
Bill

CherimoyaDude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 03:04:06 PM »
Should I up pot it yet?

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 05:24:53 PM »
Thats up to the roots really. Just check out the roots and go from there.
Bill

CherimoyaDude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 08:09:37 PM »
My jabos periodically get bothered like that sometimes. They tend to spring back, sometimes it takes forrreeverrrr though. In my case, I think it's due to extremely hard water and lockout. I add a bit of fertilizer and that seems to help them out. Liquid fertilizer seems to really be the ticket for situations like these.

Which liquid fertilizer do you recommend? What chemical ratios for nitrogen, potassium, etc

kittycatus

• USA, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 09:09:28 PM »
Water the plant and collect the runoff that comes out the bottom and measure the TDS. Jabos don't like when the TDS is too high.

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 10:11:39 PM »
Do you water the grimal with city water?
Bill

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 03:10:34 PM »
Too much shade IMO. Maybe too wet too. My grimals sometimes seem unhappy in full sun, but decline like this when I put them in part shade.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 03:27:08 PM »
Looks like manganese and/or iron deficiency to me. 

Janet

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 10:18:33 AM »
After checking the roots, consider up potting now with a good quality potting mix with well draining soil. Do the bark scratch test on the twiggy branches to see if they're still alive. If the branches have a green cambia layer underneath they're still alive. If not, they're dead and can be pruned off. As far as liquid fertilizers go, if you want to stay organic consider a combo of fish and kelp emulsion. If you want a good complete hydroponic fertilizer, my go to is dyna grow. Mix them up according to houseplant/container plant concentrations and apply either as a foliar spray or as a soil drench. If you foliar spray, make sure to spray underneath the leaves as well as on top to ensure the fertilizer gets inside of the stoma openings on the leaves. I have to foliar spray citrus about two or three times a year to keep them happy. Feed your grimal every two or three months.

I might also consider moving it into a slightly sunnier spot. It looks to me like they're in a shady location and the lanky looking growth is happening as a result. See if you can move it into an area that gets sun in the mornings or afternoons but not during the heat of the day (part sun). Underneath the canopy of an oak tree might be an ideal spot.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2022, 01:57:10 PM »

Which liquid fertilizer do you recommend? What chemical ratios for nitrogen, potassium, etc

I don't think they're too picky, you just want some kind of liquid fert. A handful of Hollytone will also probably work.

I don't think you should up pot. If you'd asked me, I'd say the pot is too big and that may actually be causing some of the issues.