Author Topic: Just dodged a bullet w/chfruittreenursery but Mimosa looked sketchy too  (Read 917 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
I was just about to snag some wax apple plants online when I saw the bad reviews for www.chfruittreenursery.com. Kinda disturbing how many members have taken a loss with these people or been dissatisfied. I rolled the dice and decided to buy from Mimosa LA's website but when I clicked on purchase online I was redirected to Vườn cây ăn trái - California Tropical Fruit Trees. I bought it Paypal but not I'm thinking it might be sketchy too. Anybody else bought from Mimosa online and had this experience?

TropicalFruitSeeker

• Vancouver, Wa
    • View Profile
Re: Just dodged a bullet w/chfruittreenursery but Mimosa looked sketchy too
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 01:58:30 AM »
I got a Big Jim Loquat from Mimosa. Came very healthy and bushy. It had a tag from another nursery on it, so I think they are mostly resellers, but I'd buy from them again.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 01:53:40 PM »
Mimosa certainly just does re-sell plants, as do most smaller nurseries. You can walk through and see 20 different tags divided between big lots of plants. This said, Mimosa always has good stuff and is in general well kept. I've visited all their LA locations.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 02:05:00 PM »
Thanks. My question was more to do with the redirect. I don't speak Vietnamese (I assume that's the language) and it just now occurred to me to Google translate it ;)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 09:17:49 PM »
The arrived today. The plants were in fair condition and appear to be Jambus. They are about the size I expected and they were packed well enough. For $167.92 ( alittle more than a third was "shipping" ) I got the plants but the process is sketchy. The redirect from Mimosa then the email from then the seller was STYLABBEAUTY but the payment seemed to be handled by Etsy.

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 08:57:33 PM »
It's starting to make sense now. I went to their Etsy store (STYLABBEAUTY) last year and asked about their grafted white sapotes. I asked what variety they were. They just replied "what variety do you want?" which sounded really shady to me. I figured if I said a suebelle they would just label whatever they found as a suebelle and send it to me. I didn't go through with it.  I'm glad you got your plants nice and healthy though.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 01:55:54 PM »
It's starting to make sense now. I went to their Etsy store (STYLABBEAUTY) last year and asked about their grafted white sapotes. I asked what variety they were. They just replied "what variety do you want?" which sounded really shady to me. I figured if I said a suebelle they would just label whatever they found as a suebelle and send it to me. I didn't go through with it.  I'm glad you got your plants nice and healthy though.
I suggest next time name any variety (possibly one you don't want) then if they say they have it, ask if they have any other varieties that you may be interested in.  If they name what you want, get all excited and say you have been looking for that, and make your order.
When it fruits, you will know if you were played.