Author Topic: Confused with guava tree.  (Read 694 times)

FightyMuck

• Shreveport, La USA 8b
    • View Profile
Confused with guava tree.
« on: September 04, 2022, 01:03:47 PM »
I recently bought a Mexican cream guava from Lowes. The tag with all the information about it says Mexican cream but there is a pink tag tied to the bottom of the tree that says pink guava. I’m confused whether I got the Mexican cream or the pink. I’ll have to look at the other ones since I work there and see if they’re all like that. I have been going crazy planting stuff. I wouldn’t mind having both varieties at the end of the day.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Confused with guava tree.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 02:53:25 PM »
It is pretty common for Lowe's or Home depot trees to be mislabeled. It will be hard to figure out the actual tree until it starts fruiting.

FightyMuck

• Shreveport, La USA 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 07:55:18 PM »
I checked the rest, they all say Mexican, I guess I got the only mislabeled one.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 08:41:20 PM »
I bought 6 Mexican Guavas from Lowes in Ft Myers Florida years ago.
They were not expensive in one gallon pots, all labeled Mexican creme Guavas
The grew fast and were pushing 6' and full of fruit. The fruit was pink inside and
large with huge seeds. I cut them down to 5' to fit in my car and put them in 3 gallons and
took them back. I was pissed off. The garden manager was mad and said if I gave them
more time the fruit would turn into Mexican Guava and threw the trees away and gave me credit?
The trees were around a foot when I bought them and 5 feet when I returned them?
Really smart manager

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 08:51:27 PM »
I bought a "Mexican Cream" guava at Lowes a few years ago, and it turned out to be a delicious pink guava, which is what I actually was looking for anyway. 

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 05:42:06 PM »
Other than the color of the leaves for Thai red guava, I think you have to be a super guava expert to tell what cultivar you have. Lowes has done me wrong more than once. Buying scions from somebody reputable is probably the best guarantee to get what you want. My plan is to reduce my stock and multigraft a few trees.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 08:51:27 PM »
 I bought a Mexican cream guava from home depot as well and so far it's only made green fruit without any sweet flavor at all, never turned yellow. We'll see what happens next season lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk