Author Topic: White sapote varieties  (Read 3273 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: White sapote varieties
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2022, 11:44:07 AM »
Does Fruit & Spice park let you take fruit out of the park?  Since I live near there it may make sense to get a membership and then just go and collect fruit, not sure if they would let me take it out though

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2022, 12:55:21 PM »
Jonah,

Do you have most of the varieties listed from CRFG page?  If so, I need to start more seeds.  ;D

On the Lara Farms website, Julian notes that Campbell was the best he ever tasted.  Was this collected by Dr. Richard Campbell?  The grafted plant I received was really small, so I want to make a backup before I plant it out at the farm.

Janet
In a YouTube video not too long ago, I believe that Julian said he discovered this unnamed white sapote tree with excellent fruit at TREC (UF) in Homestead so he named it in honor of Dr. Carl Campbell, Richard's father, who was associated with TREC for many years.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 01:01:27 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2022, 01:07:48 PM »
Does Fruit & Spice park let you take fruit out of the park?  Since I live near there it may make sense to get a membership and then just go and collect fruit, not sure if they would let me take it out though
If i'm not mistaken, the rule is that you can pick up and eat fruit that you find on the ground.  So eating it on the premises only.
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2022, 01:25:27 PM »
If i'm not mistaken, the rule is that you can pick up and eat fruit that you find on the ground.  So eating it on the premises only.

I live about 20 mins away-if I had more time I could get a membership and then eat fruit there every day.  Oh well-I will definitely be going during white sapote season - their website says they have several varieties!

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2022, 01:40:34 PM »
I've been growing out some seeds for a year now and I've noticed a few things about white sapote in FL. 

- They do not like full sun when young. They yellow and grow very slowly but in partial sun they do great. I have them planted all over my yard in different conditions and the ones with some afternoon shade are doing much better.

- Grafting a seedling can set them back on growth. Make sure you are grafting on one that is pretty thick and has vigor.

- They are in the citrus family (distant cousin) and seem to get some of the same pests/diseases. I haven't seen citrus leaf miner on it yet but one plant has citrus canker. Another attracted the attention of the Giant Swallow tail butterfly and hosted a bunch of babies. They didn't do much damage, just a few leaves and now it is growing back like crazy. Here is a article on citrus canker and how it can infect white sapote.  Wampee gets it which surprised me. https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/pests-diseases-weeds/plant/citrus-canker  I'm praying HLB won't infect them like all the other citrus. :(

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2022, 08:51:27 PM »
John,

Thanks for the info on the Campbell.

Janet

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2022, 09:49:50 PM »
I've been growing out some seeds for a year now and I've noticed a few things about white sapote in FL. 

- They do not like full sun when young. They yellow and grow very slowly but in partial sun they do great. I have them planted all over my yard in different conditions and the ones with some afternoon shade are doing much better.

- Grafting a seedling can set them back on growth. Make sure you are grafting on one that is pretty thick and has vigor.

- They are in the citrus family (distant cousin) and seem to get some of the same pests/diseases. I haven't seen citrus leaf miner on it yet but one plant has citrus canker. Another attracted the attention of the Giant Swallow tail butterfly and hosted a bunch of babies. They didn't do much damage, just a few leaves and now it is growing back like crazy. Here is a article on citrus canker and how it can infect white sapote.  Wampee gets it which surprised me. https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/pests-diseases-weeds/plant/citrus-canker  I'm praying HLB won't infect them like all the other citrus. :(

HLB should not infect white sapote. At least, it has not infected ours which is within 50' of infected citrus.

aaronn

• USA, CA, Napa 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2022, 11:36:34 PM »

That’s an interesting observation, I’m seeing the same thing in CA but hadn’t drawn that conclusion.
I grafted Walton onto a seedling that was at least half inch caliper with great success, and grafted Walton and Malibu #3 to much smaller caliper seedlings. Those all failed though Walton held on longer. I had to store my grafts in a much warmer/sunnier spot than I would have liked due to a new puppy in the yard. I had considered the heat and sun as likely culprits, as well as Malibu#3 being challenging to graft, but I’m seeing that those failed grafts are now low vigor, as you’ve observed.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2022, 06:00:51 PM »
What do you guys fertilize your white sapotes with?

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2022, 05:46:24 PM »
For in ground trees I use osmocote citrus because I have it on hand for my other trees.  I use orchid fertilizer for my potted ones because it's easier, balanced and on hand.  My soil is almost pure sand so the in ground plants need additional zinc, iron and mag I sprinkle separately.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2022, 12:12:32 PM »

HLB should not infect white sapote. At least, it has not infected ours which is within 50' of infected citrus.

What white sapote varieties are you growing Galatians?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2022, 07:58:56 PM »
Julie, we have Homestead, Redlands, and Smathers. They have all been neglected and are not in the best location. I have decided to put more effort into them after tasting the fruit last year, though. The Homestead will set fruit without cross pollination, but the seeds don't develop and they never size. I'm doing some grafting to fix that, though. None have shown any symptoms of citrus greening and the oldest is over 15yrs old now.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2022, 08:12:30 PM »
Here are some things that we have learned trying to grow white sapote.

1). They need good drainage
2). They need full sun for good fruit production
3). At least some varieties need cross pollination
4). Cold has not been a problem in central Florida
5). Varmints love the fruit

Maybe this will help some other people be more successful in a shorter time frame.  :-X

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2022, 08:54:29 PM »

Same in Phoenix. They seem to prefer to grow into the sun from part/ afternoon shade at their own pace. I lost a Vernon in the heat this year even protected, although it was already having some kind of fungal problem when I received it.

Where is everyone getting their scionwood for these? I've seen a few forum members offer but there are a lot of varieties mentioned regularly (Malibu, Santa Cruz, Rainbow)  that I have no idea where to source.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2022, 11:11:19 AM »
Galatians- Is your "Smathers" leaves way fuzzier than the leaves of your other 2 varieties?

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2022, 01:53:28 PM »
Julie, we have Homestead, Redlands, and Smathers. They have all been neglected and are not in the best location. I have decided to put more effort into them after tasting the fruit last year, though. The Homestead will set fruit without cross pollination, but the seeds don't develop and they never size. I'm doing some grafting to fix that, though. None have shown any symptoms of citrus greening and the oldest is over 15yrs old now.

Which one of these is the best tasting?  Do I need two trees of different varieties in order to produce fruit?  Thank you!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2022, 07:29:08 PM »
Galatians- Is your "Smathers" leaves way fuzzier than the leaves of your other 2 varieties?

Yes, on the bottom of the leaf.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2022, 07:40:15 PM »

Which one of these is the best tasting?  Do I need two trees of different varieties in order to produce fruit?  Thank you!

I have not tasted enough fruit to really make a good recommendation about which is best. I THINK that would be different if the tree had gotten some cross pollination. I am grafting some branches to see if that is indeed true.

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2022, 08:21:47 PM »
I've been to Fruit & Spice Park many times. The Redlands variety (tree is unmarked) is right is next to the asphalt path, near the "SES2" variety, also near path, which produces small fruit (have not tasted).
I've eaten a few of the Redlands, and it is sweet and mild with a hint citrus.  Maybe a tad bitter near the peel, but not offputting.
Off the path a bit but still near the Redlands is the Smathers variety (marked) which makes large, bumpy fruit (did not taste).
The Smathers sounds more like what you described (softball sized), since I have not noticed Redlands variety to be as big as softball sized.
Another part of the park has the Bonita Springs variety. To me, they taste the same as the Redlands.  I've read that Bonita Springs is self-fertile.

Julie:
Membership is definitely worth it.  I think White Sapote season at the park start around May and goes into June-July.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 08:23:29 PM by dm »

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2022, 10:49:34 AM »
Awesome!  Thank you!  Will have to get a membership & start stalking the white sapote trees around that time lol.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2022, 12:47:56 PM »
Awesome!  Thank you!  Will have to get a membership & start stalking the white sapote trees around that time lol.
FYI: I called them, and they said membership is $25 per year for an individual.
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2022, 12:55:25 PM »
FYI: I called them, and they said membership is $25 per year for an individual.

That's a bargain if you can eat unlimited tropical fruit.