Author Topic: Any taste differences between fig Black Madeira and Black Madeira KK ?  (Read 1343 times)

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
I waited a very long time and my black madeira KK finally fruited. I had very high expectation as this variety is regarded as one of the best. It tasted very dense in flavor, berry and sweetness, texture was that of thick honey, but not juicy like other figs I've tried. It was good, but did not blow mind away.

So I am now wondering if there is a taste difference between BM and BM kk. I also have a Craven's craven type that I am waiting for it to fruit, I also hear that it is similar im taste to BM.

Let me know your experiences!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Any taste differences between fig Black Madeira and Black Madeira KK ?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 10:41:09 PM »
I have all three varieties and they taste the same to me. The BM KK and Cravens Craving grow better than the regular BM but you can get regular BM to grow and produce better by grafting onto a more vigorous rootstock.

BM is a great fig but there are many other varieties out there that you may like better. Try to taste as many varieties as you can from the different flavor classes to find out what’s your personal favorite.

I had about 80-90 varieties at one point but after a few years, I found out I really like the Berry type figs so I’ve dwindled my collection down to about 25-30 varieties and I plan on further cutting my collection to about 5-10 varieties.

I really like the super sweet figs with strong berry flavors. I have a thread here you may be interested in.

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-home/972877-sweetest-fig-varieties

Simon

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 12:35:07 AM »
@Simon: Among the many you have tasted, what are your top 10 favorite figs?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 10:53:58 AM »
The figs taste different from year to year and my trees are relatively young, most about two years old and all my figs are grown in pots. Fruit from trees grown in ground taste significantly better. Also, figs wether growing in ground or in pots seen to take about three years to really taste up to their standards.

With the mentioned caveats, I’ve tasted about 80 varieties of figs in the past 2-3 years and my personal favorites in no particular order are; NV1, CDD Grise, CDD Roja, Sicilian 33, Cosme Manyo, Cessac, White Madeira #1, Black Manzanita, Violet de Solliies and White Algier.

All of my favorites are considered Berry types according to my palate but others may categorize them differently. I prefer the Berry type figs over the Sugar, Honey, figgy and combo type figs because I like the acidic balance.

All the figs on my list taste great without caprification.

Simon

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 03:48:05 PM »
Thanks for the info! I agree that figs taste better im ground than in pots.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 07:40:22 PM »
Thank you Simon. I have been following your forum thread at ourfigs but good to know about the ones you like the most!

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 07:53:00 PM »
Thank you Simon. I have been following your forum thread at ourfigs but good to know about the ones you like the most!

Hi @Malhar, I see you're in Irvine, I'm in Irvine as well. If you want to add figs to your collection, I recently got to taste a 'local' seedling which my partner says reminds her of those chocolates they used to sell at shops like Brookstone. It has a raspberry-chocolate flavor, as confirmed by someone else as well.

Anyways, just let me know if you're interested and I can put one aside for you since you are local and they seemed to root so easily :)

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 01:38:06 PM »
@socalbalcony2: That sounds great.  I will send you a PM. Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk