Author Topic: Lychee Help: Terminal New Growth Falling Off  (Read 489 times)

vin1

• Irvine, CA
    • View Profile
Lychee Help: Terminal New Growth Falling Off
« on: September 17, 2022, 12:05:58 PM »
Hi all, my Hak Ip Lychee flushed recently and the terminal ends of the new growth are falling off. The rest of the new growth looks fine. I fertilized with low-nitrogen organics not long ago along with sulfur to reduce ph. I'm located in Irvine, CA
Here's a video:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/42iK7TKbSiFVqhZL6

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee Help: Terminal New Growth Falling Off
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 01:01:17 PM »
Your tree looks fine to me. It is probably just establishing and it sent out more top growth than the roots can support so the plant pulled back resources. It should flush just fine once the root system is more established.

Simon

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 05:29:46 PM »
Did it rain/really windy recently? I've had a few lychees outside before and noticed that it really does not take much at all for the leaflets to get twisted/malformed/die when odd weather comes in. If the leaves are even a few more days old they'll survive, but super fresh growth just can't take it at all.

It also might've decided it had enough new leaves given the roots it has to work with and killed them off. Either way I wouldn't worry, I've had younger lychees than that drop every single leaf, look dead for a month and a half, and then flush out again; so I think you'll be fine in the end.

pH problems can also cause that, but I'm not sure we can diagnose that without more information like soil pH and how wide of a change happened whenever you gave it sulfur, + I don't suspect it to be pH anyway. Overall I think its being dramatic. just my two cents
instagram @trumansacco

vin1

• Irvine, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 06:11:39 PM »
Thanks for the perspective, everyone. Tru, it rained last week after a 10-day heat wave.  Both what you and Simon said about the tree dropping growth based on what the roots can support make sense.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 10:18:10 PM »
Lycee does not like dry wind when they are flushing. Even here in Florida the trees can lose a flush under dry windy conditions.