Author Topic: first canistel ripened  (Read 705 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
first canistel ripened
« on: September 26, 2022, 02:53:23 PM »
My grafted Bruce canistel set a single fruit that I've been watching for months.  It finally dropped on its own today and I found it on the greenhouse floor.  It is really tasty, outermost flesh is a bit dry but gets significantly moist towards the inside and much better than the ones I found lying on the ground at Fruit & Spice park (which were more dry and latex-ey). 

I'm very pleased!  There are many more new fruitlets that have formed in the past month so I expect a significant crop next year.

here it is on the tree a month or two ago when it started becoming yellow.  This tree is about 4ft tall and wide

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 02:55:52 PM by brian »

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
Re: first canistel ripened
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 04:03:49 PM »
I have a Bruce from Top Topicals but after looking at yours, I'm not so sure. Did it always have the point on the bottom or did it come a while later? Mine is holding 2 fruits but they are almost tomato shaped and are growing in a cluster from near the trunk.  Maybe it is actually a mislabeled Ross instead.

Nice tree. It looks happy!

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 05:41:08 PM »
Hey Bryan,
How long from flower to fruit. I have several canistels. All of them from 2 to 4 years old. Any tips on fertilizer and lighting?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 07:26:56 PM »
Great accomplishment brian!

I enjoy canistel quite a bit but never had a bruce

CowboyFig

• USA/Central Florida/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »
Looks great! Are you able to plant directly into the ground in a greenhouse up north? Well done, bud!

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 08:55:09 PM »
Mine definitely has the pointy-heart shape and looks exactly like the ones I had in Hawaii, and the pictures of Bruce I see.  I picked Bruce because it looked the most like whatever canistel I tried the first time and really liked.  I got mine from TopTropicals also.  I have been thinking about getting a grafted Ross... so if you become convinced you received Ross instead of Bruce I'll be happy to trade budwood with you.

I am not sure exactly how long it took from flower to ripe fruit, it feels like six months or more.  I have it planted directly into the dirt in the greenhouse, mostly-clay soil with no amendments.  Mine is in full sun, though the glazing probably absorbs 30% or so but it is still enough for part-shade plants to become sunburned.  It has been trouble free aside from a bit of scale on the new growth.  I have been feeding it 25-5-15 citrus fertilizer simply because I have a big bag of it, I'm not sure what the proper ratio is for pouterias.

I'm really happy to see it thriving.  I was worried about not enough light, short winter nights, etc. but it hasn't been an issue.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 12:01:21 PM »
My second year of canistel fruits are ripe now.  This year I got about a dozen without any hand or insect pollination.  The flesh is even more moist than last year, to the point of being slightly wet/translucent looking near the seed.  The tree continues to be problem free and medium vigor, I'm really happy with it.

It needs to be fertilized, haven't since last year

« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 12:46:34 PM by brian »

fruitmonger

• S Florida 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 12:36:06 PM »
Beautiful tree and fruit.
Thank you for sharing the images.

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." Chinese proverb

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 12:58:38 PM »
Congrats Brian, looking good. How long did it take for your tree to start to fruit? I have one in a pot but the roots are in the ground now and never had flowers on it yet (over 5yrs from seed).

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2023, 01:21:20 PM »
I bought mine as a grafted 1gal and started flowering first year or so.  I got a grafted 1gal sapodilla and green sapote that did the same.  I am not sure how long pouterias will take from seed but it sounds to be long enough that I was happy to pay for the grafted tree shortcut.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 03:21:33 PM »
Yup, I will need try to graft a branch again.