Author Topic: Brown spots w/ yellow halos on green sapote?  (Read 377 times)

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
Brown spots w/ yellow halos on green sapote?
« on: October 09, 2022, 08:16:30 AM »
Hey all,

I have a young grafted green sapote that's developed some brown spots with yellow halos on some of the leaves. I'm guessing that this is either bacterial or fungal but wanted to check in with the folks here in case someone recognized it or had treatment tips, before I tried something to treat it. Pics below, thanks in advance for any advice.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Brown spots w/ yellow halos on green sapote?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 12:36:27 PM »
Could it just be burn from the grow lights? In the last pic the internodal length looks really short (i.e. maybe too much light). Even the one I have in full sun most of the day is more stretched out. It doesn't really look like my green sapotes. Mine aren't grafted so that could account for it, idk. The leaves are also darker green than mine, and less elongated.

Edit: pic

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 08:16:12 PM by NateTheGreat »

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Brown spots w/ yellow halos on green sapote?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 07:29:08 PM »
Could it just be burn from the grow lights? In the last pic the internodal length looks really short (i.e. maybe too much light). Even the one I have in full sun most of the day is more stretched out. It doesn't really look like my green sapotes. Mine aren't grafted so that could account for it, idk. The leaves are also darker green than mine, and less elongated.

Hey thanks Nate! I'm new to the green sapote game so I appreciate the weigh-in. I haven't had this one for too long, just a couple of weeks really, got it from Lara Farms. It might well be grow light related; it's not directly under one and it's not a super-strong light, but maybe the spectrum is wrong for it. I just haven't started getting it acclimated to conditions outside yet (and it's on mamey stock so it's going to have to come back inside this winter anyway...)

Not sure about the leaves or internodal length, maybe that's down to variety? It's a "Whitman", maybe your seeds are from a different lineage? I know I've seen some pictures on here of wildly varying fruit shape, so maybe leaves too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 07:33:05 PM by CeeJey »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk