Author Topic: Commercial fruit production in your area?  (Read 685 times)

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
Commercial fruit production in your area?
« on: November 11, 2022, 02:02:05 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm trying to ponder some additional commercial crops for my systems. So im wondering what are common ommercial fruit crops in your region?
Here in Hawaii we grow lychee, mangosteen, rambutan, longon, macnuts, papaya, and dragonfruit.

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: Commercial fruit production in your area?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 04:40:52 PM »
Here in Hawaii we grow lychee, mangosteen, rambutan, longon, macnuts, papaya, and dragonfruit.

I am in Victoria, Southern Australia. Along with Mangoes and Avocados,
all those Tropicals are available in my supermarket, shipped in from Darwin and Cairns etc.
Also Pummelos imported from Isreal or USA. Sometimes some Annonas seen too.
Some of the Vietnamese / Asian grocery stores in my area have a more exciting range of seasonal Tropical fruit.

All those fruit are fairly robust for travel to markets. They would all be packed in trays, but nearly all can take some handling.
You could choose fruit not on the list, but similarly robust for sales purposes.

Whats not on the list ??
No  Sapotes like Abiu, Canistel, or others, Star Apples, Black Sapote, no Jackfruit, Chempadak, Marang, Pedali etc.
No Syzygiums like Malay Apple, Rose Apple etc
No Citrus like Pummelo, Limes, Lemonades, Wekiwa, Ugli, Ortaniqiue etc
In my mind these are a what I went for when visiting the tropics. These fruit more often seen at weekend markets or roadside fruit stalls than shops.

Any thoughts on tropical vegetables ?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 11:22:59 PM by pagnr »

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 07:13:14 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, fresh fruit from Hawaii cannot be shipped to the mainland United States due to a fruit fly quarantine. So, you would have to see what sells well in Hawaii or what people want there but currently can't get. You could also sell something that could be processed so that it can be shipped to the US. You would probably have to partner with or become a supplier to a company already in that field. Macadamia nuts might fall into that category, if the major processors buy from independent growers. Hawaii's Department of Agriculture would be the agency to advise you about that.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 11:27:06 PM »
Orange, Sugarcane, Caladium, Grapefruit, Cabbage, Watermelon, Leafy greens, Potato, Tangerine, Tangelo, Blueberry, Peach, Lemon, and Lychee are the main commercial crops in my county in Florida (roughly by acreage). Have you thought about Poha? It used to be quite common in Hawaii and is generally well received. Its just a lot of work to harvest.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 01:47:45 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken, fresh fruit from Hawaii cannot be shipped to the mainland United States due to a fruit fly quarantine. So, you would have to see what sells well in Hawaii or what people want there but currently can't get. You could also sell something that could be processed so that it can be shipped to the US. You would probably have to partner with or become a supplier to a company already in that field. Macadamia nuts might fall into that category, if the major processors buy from independent growers. Hawaii's Department of Agriculture would be the agency to advise you about that.

We can ship coconuts, pineapple and sharwil avocado.

Our plan is to freeze dry/dehydrate fruit and sell direct.

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 03:36:49 AM »
Breadfruit, durian, soursop. Around here, mangosteen and rambutan are the main fruit tree crops I believe.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 04:57:46 PM »
Here, which is similar to parts of Hawaii, our main commercial crops at this point are durian, mangosteen, salak, jakfruit and champedek. We are ramping up Marang, sapodilla, canistel and others. Really the future commercial fruit is durian.
Small amounts of langsat, longan, pulusan, and rambutan will also produce reliable income for growers in this area if CR.
Peter

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 12:18:36 AM »
Someone please bring green sapote to the commercial market...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk