Author Topic: Calamansi x Tangelo Hybrid  (Read 590 times)

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
Calamansi x Tangelo Hybrid
« on: November 15, 2022, 12:06:33 AM »
I'm trying to help my boyfriend and his family preserve the genetics of their backyard garden. The family has lived in the same house for decades but they're now selling it.

They're Filipino, so one thing I've tried very hard to save is their calamansi tree. Its not an unusual cultivar, but its fruit has been a core part of the family's home cooking. Food, as an expression of love and a way of welcoming guests to the home, is a huge part of Filipino culture. That makes this plant a big part of many cherished memories, via the food its fruit helped to produce. So it was a no-brainer to attempt to propagate it, so it could (in some form) stay in the family's possession.

In addition to taking cuttings, I collected seeds as a sort of insurance policy; in case the cuttings failed, the seed-grown plants would ensure the presence of something with a link to the original tree, even though it would likely take years to bear fruit. It seems like at least one of the cuttings is rooting, but I'm keeping the seedlings, in part because I've noticed something peculiar. One does not look like the other two. It's growing faster, its cotyledons are smaller, and its true leaves have winged petioles. My guess is that the adjacent tangelo tree (cultivar unknown) was the pollen parent.

Photos attached. I will attempt to grow all three. If the weird one ends up bearing fruit, and that fruit is clearly not calamansi (both of these are big "if"s), then I will name it and distribute it (likely years from now).

« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 12:29:47 AM by greg_D »

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: Calamansi x Tangelo Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 01:23:22 AM »
It looks like a very interesting seedling, I sometimes get these type of odd seedlings in Rangpur Lime seed grows.  Dont think it is a hybrid, more of a genetic reshuffle or polyploidy change.

Ever thought of grafting the family calamansi to rootstock, it might do better and fruit faster.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 08:18:16 PM »
Greg,

I have a large collection of citrus trees, maybe I can help you preserve the Calamansi hybrid.

I will send you a PM to discuss further.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 08:11:51 PM »
Could be stress. A weak seedling that will eventually turn normal. Some hybrids are weak or come out weird too because of distantly related species. Odd enough both inbreeding and crossbreeding (if they are distantly related) can have similar effects. So could be a hybrid or could be a weird seedling.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 03:37:55 AM »
Odd enough both inbreeding and crossbreeding....can have similar effects. So could be a hybrid or could be a weird seedling.

You can certainly get unusual seedlings from both inbreeding ( selfing ) and crossbreeding.
The changes in selfing could be from shuffling the genes around or throwing some out.
The changes from crossbreeding are more from swapping genes between pollinator and receiver. ( some of the above may occur too ).
It is often possible to take a good guess as to which of the above happened, from the look of the seedling.
Hybrids often look like a combo of two parents.
Variable Selfs often look like a version of the parent, sometimes slightly odd, sometimes quite odd, but still with parental characteristics