Author Topic: Must have mulberries (looking for new varieties)  (Read 47978 times)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Re: Must have mulberries (looking for new varieties)
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »
... very rare and hard to find. Of course, I found one and it is in order.  ;)

Cough cough cough
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2015, 01:47:20 AM »
 ;D

It was an earned find.  Haha

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2015, 01:55:02 AM »
where did u get the tree??

I recently bought a green mulberry 3 gallon size tree. It had three immature green mulberries on it. I bought it taste-unseen because of the high praise I read about here. The three little mulberries finally matured and I got to taste it. I guess I prefer more intense, complicated flavors because these left me totally uninspired. Very mild, no sharpness or complexity, some kind of greeny undertaste - sort of like sweet lettuce or something. Since it is so small I'll give it a year to prove to me that it's worth keeping.

Sorry, just my 2 cents....
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2015, 02:06:50 AM »
I will pm you.  There are only a couple left.

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2015, 09:59:48 AM »
where did u get the tree??

I recently bought a green mulberry 3 gallon size tree. It had three immature green mulberries on it. I bought it taste-unseen because of the high praise I read about here. The three little mulberries finally matured and I got to taste it. I guess I prefer more intense, complicated flavors because these left me totally uninspired. Very mild, no sharpness or complexity, some kind of greeny undertaste - sort of like sweet lettuce or something. Since it is so small I'll give it a year to prove to me that it's worth keeping.

Sorry, just my 2 cents....

From Excalibur. I love that place. It's just that this green mulberry cultivar and my particular taste processor don't seem to jive.

In general, I believe that individuals simply sense things differently. What one person may sense as fabulous (whether it be taste, sound, feel, smell, or sight) might come across as insipid to another. It's partially due to genetics, I think. That's why it's so hard to ever arrive at consensus.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2015, 10:15:50 AM »

From Excalibur. I love that place. It's just that this green mulberry cultivar and my particular taste processor don't seem to jive.

In general, I believe that individuals simply sense things differently. What one person may sense as fabulous (whether it be taste, sound, feel, smell, or sight) might come across as insipid to another. It's partially due to genetics, I think. That's why it's so hard to ever arrive at consensus.
[/quote]

AGREE! I was recently there, must have eaten close to 50 mulberries trying to find the one I liked. Tried em due to same, hearing so much about them. First one was very bland and thought "thats it?"  Kept plucking down the row, and then wham got kicked in the mouth, and found the one for me. Tice, Trice or thrice, forgot the exact name. But then of course, it was hard to find one in smaller container as this was from one of the big trees.  AND now its in my backyard, but not doing so hot. Not sure what went wrong with it. I did transplant to a bigger pot as the pot it was in was an aero pot thing and it was a mess.  So if it lives I will be happy, if it dies, worse $65 I have spent and will be the first plant I have not been able to keep alive.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2015, 11:21:18 AM »
When you purchased the green mulberry did you not know what the flavor profile was?  It has been discussed on this forum a number of times.  It is not supposed to have any acidity or sharp contrasting flavors.   While i dont know if what you ate off the little tree you purchaed was truly ready to be picked (when properly ripened they do not have a taste as you described ).  They should be a dirty off white color when ready, no green coloration at all. When properly ripened. They have the taste similar to a honeydew melon.
- Rob

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »
Rob hit the nail on the head.  You likely ate one that wasn't ready--especially if solid green.

Fisherking, Mulberrys are finicky in pots if rootbound and after transplanting.  Best care involves stumping them at a few inches and then selecting 2 to 3 primary and evenly spread new growths a few months later.  Then stump those a foot or two off the ground like you would a rose bush preseason.

Now, you'll have a balanced and healthy mulberry bush.  You can tree them on a single as well, but will take them much longer to establish.

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2015, 12:39:24 PM »
All this great conversation about mulberries!!

How do they do in a truly tropical environment?

franciscu

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »
When you purchased the green mulberry did you not know what the flavor profile was?  It has been discussed on this forum a number of times.  It is not supposed to have any acidity or sharp contrasting flavors.   While i dont know if what you ate off the little tree you purchaed was truly ready to be picked (when properly ripened they do not have a taste as you described ).  They should be a dirty off white color when ready, no green coloration at all. When properly ripened. They have the taste similar to a honeydew melon.

The first one I tried did have the dirty kinda off-white color. The berry was slightly plump too, so I do believe it was ripe. It was very underwhelming, I hate to say. I was disappointed for sure. On subsequent days I went with less ripe berries - experimenting to find out whether there was any 'tang' to be had earlier in the ripening curve. No go...

I'm sure that this is one of those personal taste things - some folks like Zinfandel, others prefer Chianti. Also, the tree is so small and I want to keep it for at least a year so as to give it a fair chance. But I expect I'll be wanting to replace it with a mulberry which has the most pizazz.

BTW, on the same day I also brought home a Tice from Excalibur. Much better.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »
if you ever are in the area and want to trade for your tree, I'll take it.

I already have this one I think, but could use another.

I just love mulberries...all of them.

The first one I tried did have the dirty kinda off-white color. The berry was slightly plump too, so I do believe it was ripe. It was very underwhelming, I hate to say. I was disappointed for sure. On subsequent days I went with less ripe berries - experimenting to find out whether there was any 'tang' to be had earlier in the ripening curve. No go...

I'm sure that this is one of those personal taste things - some folks like Zinfandel, others prefer Chianti. Also, the tree is so small and I want to keep it for at least a year so as to give it a fair chance. But I expect I'll be wanting to replace it with a mulberry which has the most pizazz.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jackedfruit

• Sweden, Zone 7a / Greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2015, 02:08:40 PM »
What are your thoughts on 'Illinois Everbearing', I've got a few cuttings and was thinking about grafting them to M.rubra rootstock.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2015, 03:07:34 PM »
its a good one!

why not just root them?

grafting would be fun though!
What are your thoughts on 'Illinois Everbearing', I've got a few cuttings and was thinking about grafting them to M.rubra rootstock.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

jackedfruit

• Sweden, Zone 7a / Greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2015, 03:19:01 PM »
its a good one!

why not just root them?

grafting would be fun though!

Maybe I will root some but I have a few potted rubras I don't know what to do with so I figured some grafting practice would be nice.

Do you have any experience using M.alba as rootstock? Have a few of those too, maybe I'll do a side by side test ruba/alba.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2015, 04:15:49 PM »

Could very well be a personal thing.  Many love the green however there are some I have helped that did not like it and wanted one f the purple varieties.

Can you please post a picture of the leaves and trunk/branches of the Tice.
- Rob

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »
Did you happen to check the variety?

It is possible you tried a white or a pakistani--neither of which have the tartness expected from a berry.  They are just lightly sweet.  The Australian is very notable in flavor.

franciscu

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2015, 07:17:48 PM »
Thanks, I will keep your offer in mind. You are up in Central Florida I see.

if you ever are in the area and want to trade for your tree, I'll take it.

I already have this one I think, but could use another.

I just love mulberries...all of them.

franciscu

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2015, 07:20:58 PM »
The tags are still on the trees, I think. I'll see if I can post a photo tomorrow.

It is possible you tried a white or a pakistani--neither of which have the tartness expected from a berry.  They are just lightly sweet.  The Australian is very notable in flavor.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2015, 08:20:40 AM »
My very tasty TICE are ripe now!

franciscu

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »
The tags are still on the trees, I think. I'll see if I can post a photo tomorrow.

The 'green mulberry' has the tag. The one without a tag is the Tice.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2015, 02:42:45 PM »
There's your problem.

The tag just says green mulberry, but those are the leaves of a green pakistani.  Almost no flavor at all.  They will also turn color if left on the tree long enough.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2015, 02:50:48 PM »
There's your problem.

The tag just says green mulberry, but those are the leaves of a green pakistani.  Almost no flavor at all.  They will also turn color if left on the tree long enough.

No it is not...trust me.  They do not turn any color past off white, other than rotting and falling off.
- Rob

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
There's your problem.

No it is not...trust me.  They do not turn any color past off white, other than rotting and falling off.

It is a small photo for my phone, but looks like a pakistani to me, and they will turn reddish white before dropping.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2015, 03:18:19 PM »
There's your problem.

It is a small photo for my phone, but looks like a pakistani to me, and they will turn reddish white before dropping.

It is not the Pakistani and they will not turn red.  How do I know, I have been eating them for years and I work there.
- Rob

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »
There's your problem.

It is not the Pakistani and they will not turn red.  How do I know, I have been eating them for years and I work there.

Ah, so you actually work where he bought the green mulberry?  If that is the case, then they'd have to be aussies based on the description and flavor you mentioned.  That would mean he either got a dud fruit off the big tree, or just tried one that wasn't ready.  That'll be good news for him when the little tree matures and he gets to enjoy the delicious melon taste.  Thanks for clarifying Rob.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk