Author Topic: Digging up my unknown Orange tree..Any sugggestions for a good top tier citrus?  (Read 9948 times)

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Best satsuma I have ever tasted was from a 20 year old owari tree planted in 1989 grown in sandy soil
in Bridge City, TX. It was incredibly sweet and had an excellent acid/sugar ratio. It was unlike
an other satsuma I have ever tasted. I took budwood and propagated it at my home in Beaumont,TX and the fruit was nothing special.
Terroir does indeed make a huge difference in citrus! Nurseries around the Houston area
propagate it as "little sweetie". I sold a couple trees to someone from Houston and labeled them as "little sweetie"
which is what the Bridge City, TX grower called his selection of owari. It is described as "naturally small tree with small, easy to peel fruit."
I have to laugh at that contrived description!  http://www.brazoscitrus.com/products.aspx?catalog_id=109
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 10:14:42 PM by mrtexas »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
A wise old saying -. The very best fruit grows on very old trees. - Millet

Go Gators

• Gainesville, Florida, USA 7
    • View Profile
    • Amputees Sin Limites
Pixie is sometimes sold mixed-in with Gold Nugget. But they seem to taste better than the market Gold Nuggets so I read the label and pick out the Pixies. I'm not sure if nurseries sell this but you can buy from CCPP.

I live in Gainesville Florida zone 7A.  Is there a recommended vendor here for MULTIGRAPHS, or a vendor that can ship to Florida?
Thanks for any help,
Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk