Author Topic: Nippon Orangequat  (Read 13664 times)

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Nippon Orangequat
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:17:44 PM »
If lemon no longer excites you, consider the orangequat.  Stays on the tree for months. Great in drinks.  This year I harvested the last 3 from my tree the final week of march.

Dr. Arlie Powell Orangequat
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:31:00 PM by sugar land dave »

j3u5a8n

• USA, CA, Imperial Valley
    • View Profile
Re: Nippon Orangequat
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »
I have been looking for Nippon for a while now. It looks like a good one to have. The only place that sells it that I have found in California is Clifton's Nursery but it is about $100 with shipping.  :o I tried to grow it from seeds but I always loose them.

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 02:10:43 PM »
Sorry to hear that they are hard to find in California.  You might ask a local nursery to check around for you.  Sometimes they can find trees from their suppliers.  My orangequat is only 3 to 4 feet, but it has been prolific. and I would miss it if it were gone.  One thing about the fruit, you either love it or hate it; there is no middle ground.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:29:24 PM by sugar land dave »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:46:52 PM »
Awesome, I want one of these.  I prefer the very tart varieties and eat nagami kumquats and calomondins fresh so this sounds great.  If anybody finds a source please post here... I will do the same.

from http://citruphilia.com/?page_id=48:
"characteristic, tasty edible skin but an incredibly tart and juicy interior, like an oversized Nagami kumquat on steroids"

I had looked into mandarinquats and similar but from what I read they don't taste good. 

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
The 2 1/2" fruit is very tart early on, but becomes progressively sweeter the more months it stay on the tree.  By that time it will have turned from orange to a deep red orange color and will taste like the old sweeTART candy.  Great at replacing lemon in drinks, it has a strong orange flavor.

Hershell

• U.S. Ga. Ray City zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »
It is probably my favorite quat.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »
This years Citrus Expo, spent the day with Dr. Powell (The man in the video) at Petals From The Past nursery.  Dr. Powell had many plates of various citrus set up on a long table for taste testing.  After testing all the varieties,   you voted for the best of the best.  Xie Shan won the contest. - Millet

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »
This years Citrus Expo, spent the day with Dr. Powell (The man in the video) at Petals From The Past nursery.  Dr. Powell had many plates of various citrus set up on a long table for taste testing.  After testing all the varieties,   you voted for the best of the best.  Xie Shan won the contest. - Millet

Any idea where Xie Shan can be obtained via mail order?  Harris Citrus no longer seems to have them.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
brain. Call Harris and ask for Ruth, she is the owners daughter,.  Ruth will probably answer the telephone, then ask her about Xie Shan (pronounced she-shan).   Some times not all of their trees are listed.  The chance of you getting a Xie Shan might be pretty good. If not she can tell you when they will be in stock again. - Millet
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:29:38 PM by Millet »

Darkman

• Pensacola, Fl 8b/9a South of I-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »
Exactly what Millet said!

When I was looking for Xie Shan I could not find it anywhere. I looked for six months before I called Harris who did not list it and they said they had grafted a large order for a commercial Citrus grower and they may have a few left. They did and I bought four trees that should have their first full harvest this year. This Winter barely effected them. 19F was the low and it was at or below freezing for forty hours with a ice storm on top of that.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
Darkman, a Xie Shan Satsuma is about the top of the top when it comes to taste.  However, most all  varieties of Satsumas and mandarins do not produce their best tasting fruit until the trees are about 5+ years old.  I tell you this because I don't want you to be disappointed when you taste your trees first crop.  However, I bet you will still rate the first crop as positive.  Be sure to let me know what you think when you taste the first fruit that your trees produce. - Millet

Darkman

• Pensacola, Fl 8b/9a South of I-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »
This is a quote from a Florida respected plant vendor, " Plus if you want a more upright tree, the Xie Shan doesn't weep like most Japanese satsuma varieties".

My trees (4) is the most prostrate citrus I have and is nowhere near upright. How does your Xie shan grow.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »
My Xie Shan are upright so far but still young. I can't wait. They have won every taste test I ever did.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »
My tree is like Toms - very upright. - Millet

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »
Awesome, I want one of these.  I prefer the very tart varieties and eat nagami kumquats and calomondins fresh so this sounds great.  If anybody finds a source please post here... I will do the same.

from http://citruphilia.com/?page_id=48:
"characteristic, tasty edible skin but an incredibly tart and juicy interior, like an oversized Nagami kumquat on steroids"

I had looked into mandarinquats and similar but from what I read they don't taste good.

Since you are not in one of the forbidden states, you might have good luck here:http://lemoncitrustree.com/store/orange-trees/orangequat-trees.html

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 11:33:09 PM »
This site seems to have a sketchy reputation but if they are the only source I might order one from them.  I'm going to try to reach out to the only other potential seller I found (http://mckenzie-farms.com) but who knows how often the site is updated they might not actually have any.

I'm gonna sleep on it.

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 11:49:03 PM »
Brian,
The woman you should speak with at Harris Citrus is Ruth Nowland.  Their phone number is 813-684 1654. 

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 12:00:16 AM »
This site seems to have a sketchy reputation but if they are the only source I might order one from them.  I'm going to try to reach out to the only other potential seller I found (http://mckenzie-farms.com) but who knows how often the site is updated they might not actually have any.

I'm gonna sleep on it.

Yep, I'd call anyone before ordering if I had not ordered from them before.  Desire can often lead to bad decisions, so I absolutely agree with you.

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:29 AM »

Absolutely neat that you know this man.  He is a wonderful teacher on his videos.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 03:22:42 PM »
I ended up ordering the Orangequat from the site you mentioned, I will let you know how it turns out.  Thanks for digging that up!

I also called Harris back today.  Same guy but I asked about Xie Shan and he said somebody would call me back tomorrow about it.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 03:47:35 PM »
Every time I have ever called Harris Citrus, Ruth answered the telephone.  Harris Citrus is a family business, and Ruth is the daughter of the owner, and the sales manager.  She must be on vacation. The Harris's are an Eskimo family that moved to Florida some years ago, and started this business. The fact that they have to call you back tomorrow, must show that the man that answered the phone is a temporary. - Millet
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:33:20 PM by Millet »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »
To order from Mckenzie you have to call or email him anyway. He will email you back and let you know if he has something. I've ordered from him and he sends good trees in pots.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 11:14:50 PM »
To order from Mckenzie you have to call or email him anyway. He will email you back and let you know if he has something. I've ordered from him and he sends good trees in pots.

Yeah, he replied quickly but said he didn't have any at the moment.

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2014, 12:03:29 AM »
I ended up ordering the Orangequat from the site you mentioned, I will let you know how it turns out.  Thanks for digging that up!

I also called Harris back today.  Same guy but I asked about Xie Shan and he said somebody would call me back tomorrow about it.

I hope that is a nice tree for you.  I was lucky to find my orangequat and am glad that I took a chance on something that at the time was totally unfamiliar to me.  It is a favorite of mine now.  Keep me posted on how it turns out.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »
I finally got a hold of Ruth at Harris Citrus on a number that an employee gave me.  She said they have Xie Shan grafted but they won't be ready for sale until July-August. 

Also, my Nippon Orangequat should be arriving from Lemoncitrustree.com some time today.  According to the shipment tracking it came from New Orleans, LA.  I'll post a picture when I get it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk