Author Topic: Ponkan  (Read 1364 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Ponkan
« on: December 27, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
I picked a Ponkan off my tree yesterday.  It had really great flavor. The acid sugar ratios also really great.  However, it had 23 seeds, Now that is a bit much, even for a Ponkan.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:44:48 PM by Millet »

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
Re: Ponkan
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 11:44:49 AM »
Amazing how many different types of citrus are listed as 0-6 seeds per fruit yet In my orchard  everything is seedy...except for me of course. 

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 12:21:26 PM »
To many cross pollinators...

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 01:37:12 PM »
In many crops cross pollination helps make a bigger and better crop. Pecans would be one example. With pecans and no cross pollination from other pecan varieties you would have a very small crop. In this example the pecan crop of nuts are seeds. The parent tree always has seed that are true to type , variety, but the seed don't sprout and become the same variety as the parent tree. The seed or nuts would sprout if left to germinate. There are people that have grown pecans from seed that say the nut does produce the same variety tree but it does not pass the test of scientific method meaning does not replicate successfully ever time or so say pecan scientists last I heard. Tom