Author Topic: questions about Flying Dragon - Trifoliate Orange rootstock?  (Read 815 times)

Lyn38

• northern Ca zone 8
    • View Profile
questions about Flying Dragon - Trifoliate Orange rootstock?
« on: March 24, 2023, 11:21:01 PM »
I've had a Washingtonia navel for many years and I forget what rootstock it's on but "Flying Dragon" sounds awfully familiar and I think that's what it is. Not sure.. At any rate, I ordered Flying dragon seeds to try and grow rootstocks for grafts from my orange tree. I have some questions..

I guess FD is a deciduous bush. Will it make any orange or lemon grafted to it become deciduous?

Will it support Meyer's lemon grafts also?

Considering it's a dwarfing rootstock will it dwarf or slow a Meyer's even more as they are already pretty dwarfed and slow? Seems like FD is about the same height when mature as a Meyers?

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: questions about Flying Dragon - Trifoliate Orange rootstock?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 02:05:08 AM »
I can answer the first question, the graft won' t get decidious, if its a non deciduous graft.

Lyn38

• northern Ca zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 02:40:59 AM »
I can answer the first question, the graft won' t get decidious, if its a non deciduous graft.

Thank you Ted!

Lyn38

• northern Ca zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 02:43:37 AM »
Oops, I have another question that I cross posted in the general citrus forum. I'm in California. I ordered the seeds from Fla without thinking. Should I grow them out or are they likely to carry citrus greening disease or something just as bad?

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 12:17:35 PM »
Oops, I have another question that I cross posted in the general citrus forum. I'm in California. I ordered the seeds from Fla without thinking. Should I grow them out or are they likely to carry citrus greening disease or something just as bad?

Seeds should be fine. I don't think HLB/greening spreads via seeds

Considering it's a dwarfing rootstock will it dwarf or slow a Meyer's even more as they are already pretty dwarfed and slow? Seems like FD is about the same height when mature as a Meyers?

Meyer lemon is unique among citrus in that it is relatively easy to root cuttings. Most of the Meyer lemon trees you'll buy in the nursery trade are on their own roots. So why do you want to graft it?

Lyn38

• northern Ca zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 04:40:25 PM »

Seeds should be fine. I don't think HLB/greening spreads via seeds

Meyer lemon is unique among citrus in that it is relatively easy to root cuttings. Most of the Meyer lemon trees you'll buy in the nursery trade are on their own roots. So why do you want to graft it?

Thanks, and This particular lemon is difficult to root. Mine is a clone from a lemon I found pretty much abandoned in a cold spot in town. The fruit tastes like a hybrid between some sort of orange and lemon so I'm assuming it's a Meyers.  It does have smaller fruit than most Meyers I see online, so IDK. It does seem to be cold hardy in the low 20's, maybe even high teens. The mother has been there for decades.

Mostly, I got the trifoliate to graft my washingtonia navel to, but if the lemon will graft to it, I thought it might give it a degree or so of more cold hardiness. A friend of mine has a clone of mine at high altitude and we're watching to see if it survives. So far it has, for several years, and one of these days she'll probably forget to throw a tarp over it..
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 04:48:20 PM by Lyn38 »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 04:49:04 PM »
Flying Dragon is dwarfing, in part because it is slower growing than normal Poncirus.
Flying Dragon has a longer winter dormancy period, and that will be transferred to the grafted scion to some extent.
The winter dormancy also depends on your climate, and any extra heat or protection you give the plant over winter to bring on spring.
To answer your question in reverse,
If you grafted Myer Lemon on a more vigorous non dormant rootstock, the combination would grow faster than Myer on Flying Dragon.

I've had a Washingtonia navel for many years and I forget what rootstock it's on but "Flying Dragon" sounds awfully familiar and I think that's what it is. Not sure.. At any rate, I ordered Flying dragon seeds to try and grow rootstocks for grafts from my orange tree. I have some questions..

It should be possible to tell what rootstock the Washington is on from pictures of the trunk at soil level to just above graft union. Any suckers will make it much easier.
As you think the Washington is on FD, how large is that tree and how fast or slow growing is it ?

Lyn38

• northern Ca zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 05:33:44 PM »
Flying Dragon is dwarfing, in part because it is slower growing than normal Poncirus.
Flying Dragon has a longer winter dormancy period, and that will be transferred to the grafted scion to some extent.
The winter dormancy also depends on your climate, and any extra heat or protection you give the plant over winter to bring on spring.
If you grafted Myer Lemon on a more vigorous non dormant rootstock, the combination would grow faster than Myer on Flying Dragon.

It should be possible to tell what rootstock the Washington is on from pictures of the trunk at soil level to just above graft union. Any suckers will make it much easier.
As you think the Washington is on FD, how large is that tree and how fast or slow growing is it ?

It's hard to tell how fast the orange is because it's been in a 25-30 gal pot for 20 years. It doesn't stay dormant in the winter though- fruits ripen around xmass or later depending on the year. Does this mean it isn't trifoliate? There are no suckers anymore. There may have been one or 2 earlier- I forget. I do remember that it was grafted. I remember the stock it had was somewhat resistant to wet feet.

Thanks, I'll look at other rootstocks and see what there is.

Edit the orange is about 7 feet high from the base of the pot. I think it's only grown a foot higher inn the past 5 years. But- it is in a pot. I'll try to take a pic later today.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 05:37:16 PM by Lyn38 »

Lyn38

• northern Ca zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 06:24:40 PM »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:26:27 PM by Lyn38 »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 04:34:22 PM »
A Poncirus trifoliata or Flying Dragon tree will drop its leaves in winter.
A Citrus grafted on either of those Poncirus won't drop its leaves, but it may slow or stop activity in winter.
It may also have a delayed spring growth flush, which may protect from late frosts damaging young growth.
Unless you have various combinations of Citrus and rootstocks nearby to compare, you may not notice any dormancy.

I am a bit stumped ( pun intended ) by your photos. I think the rootstock is either a Citrange or Poncirus, but neither is jumping out clearly.
Anybody else got an opinion.

Lyn38

• northern Ca zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 11:14:54 PM »
A Poncirus trifoliata or Flying Dragon tree will drop its leaves in winter.
A Citrus grafted on either of those Poncirus won't drop its leaves, but it may slow or stop activity in winter.
It may also have a delayed spring growth flush, which may protect from late frosts damaging young growth.
Unless you have various combinations of Citrus and rootstocks nearby to compare, you may not notice any dormancy.

I am a bit stumped ( pun intended ) by your photos. I think the rootstock is either a Citrange or Poncirus, but neither is jumping out clearly.
Anybody else got an opinion.

Thanks Pagnr! It doesn't grow in winter, but the oranges continue developing. Although, this year we had a very cold winter and they may not have- they ended up being tasteless, small and dry this year, not like usual. No sign of greening disease and the tree looks healthy.. I guess Citrange is a cross of Poncirus?  If so, I suppose it doesn't matter too much if I use Poncirus trifoliata. The nursery I bought the seeds from uses it on their citrus that they sell, and an 8 - 12ft dwarfed orange with delayed flowering is ideal for here. I think a few of my friends will be very happy. Although, if it tastes the same next year it's not going to be passed around..