Author Topic: Maruga Scorpion peppers straight from Trinidad  (Read 4778 times)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Maruga Scorpion peppers straight from Trinidad
« on: March 29, 2013, 05:20:31 PM »
My sister is coming in from Trinidad tomorrow and bringing me a treasure trove of pepper seeds as well as local mango, sapodilla and others.  I will have extra pepper seeds from the Moruga Scorpion fresh from Moruga, Trinidad.   These are the hottest peppers in the world.  I am also getting some other varieties of peppers that I should have extras of.  If anyone is interested, willing to trade for anything that grows in S. Florida. 

George

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Maruga Scorpion peppers straight from Trinidad
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 06:50:17 PM »
PM sent...
- Rob

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:45:35 AM »
I also sent PM

Attention to Rob
In case ,sending seeds to India is difficult for DG ,then please help me to get these Moruga seeds.

Thanks to both

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »
My sister has arrived and the count is in.  Up for trade is:

40 Moruga Scorpion seeds
40 - 7 Pot seeds
10 Wiri Wiri pepper seeds
50 Soursop seeds.
George

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:48:57 PM »
I am down to my last 5 Moruga Scorpions and 15 Seven Pot pepper seeds. 
George

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:44:45 PM »
For those who have purchased the Moruga Scorpion seeds, germination can be tough.  These, and many other "fire chiles", do not germinate as easily as your everyday hot pepper or tomato.

Assuming these seeds were not put through any type of seed cleaner, soak the seeds in a diluted PURE Chamomile tea solution (1 cup of tea added to a quart of water) for 30 minutes.  You can also use a diluted bleach solution (20 to 1 dilution ratio) for five minutes...but be very careful as if you leave this in the bleach solution for too long or your solution is too strong, its bye bye seeds.  This soaking methods are to prevent rotting by ANY flesh that may be left on the seeds.  Seed rot is probably the biggest problem with germinating fire chile seeds.

Plant the seeds in a high quality, ultra fine seed germinating mix.  I use a cell pack tray that comes with a "domed" top.  DO NOT USE JIFFY POTS.  If the starter tray you are using is used, spray it down with hydrogen peroxide.

The real key with getting these to germinate is the temperature, not just the ambient temps BUT THE SOIL TEMPS.  The soil temps should be around 80 degrees.  You can buy special heating mats to help keep the soil temps where they need to be.  The more it drops below this, the greater chance of rot and seeds not germinating or poor germinating (when small, fire chiles are not that vigorous, it could take 4-6 weeks to get to a stage where they can be put out into full sun.  I recommend germinating them inside in a room where the A/C vent is closed.  Get a good grow light on them once they germinate to help strengthen them as they go through their young seedling stage.

I have more aods for a healthy, productive, strong plant...if you would like some more tricks, please PM me.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:55:25 PM »
My Bhut jolokias seem to have great germination rates and so do the Butch T's.I sent a forum member a bunch of yellow morugas and only a couple came up.I wonder if it is just the morugas although some I planted at home had a reasonable germination rate.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 06:19:18 AM »
My Bhut jolokias seem to have great germination rates and so do the Butch T's.I sent a forum member a bunch of yellow morugas and only a couple came up.I wonder if it is just the morugas although some I planted at home had a reasonable germination rate.
The Bhut Jolokias are a bit easier than most of them.  I am surprised at the Butch Ts having a great rate...of course maybe your conditions for germination were near what they need to be.
- Rob

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 05:30:50 PM »
For those who have purchased the Moruga Scorpion seeds, germination can be tough.  These, and many other "fire chiles", do not germinate as easily as your everyday hot pepper or tomato.

Assuming these seeds were not put through any type of seed cleaner, soak the seeds in a diluted PURE Chamomile tea solution (1 cup of tea added to a quart of water) for 30 minutes.  You can also use a diluted bleach solution (20 to 1 dilution ratio) for five minutes...but be very careful as if you leave this in the bleach solution for too long or your solution is too strong, its bye bye seeds.  This soaking methods are to prevent rotting by ANY flesh that may be left on the seeds.  Seed rot is probably the biggest problem with germinating fire chile seeds.

Plant the seeds in a high quality, ultra fine seed germinating mix.  I use a cell pack tray that comes with a "domed" top.  DO NOT USE JIFFY POTS.  If the starter tray you are using is used, spray it down with hydrogen peroxide.

The real key with getting these to germinate is the temperature, not just the ambient temps BUT THE SOIL TEMPS.  The soil temps should be around 80 degrees.  You can buy special heating mats to help keep the soil temps where they need to be.  The more it drops below this, the greater chance of rot and seeds not germinating or poor germinating (when small, fire chiles are not that vigorous, it could take 4-6 weeks to get to a stage where they can be put out into full sun.  I recommend germinating them inside in a room where the A/C vent is closed.  Get a good grow light on them once they germinate to help strengthen them as they go through their young seedling stage.

I have more aods for a healthy, productive, strong plant...if you would like some more tricks, please PM me.

Bsbullie , would this Canadian peatmoss be a good medium ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »

I would stay away from pure peat.  Search out, if you can, and use a mix such as Fafard Super Fine Germination mix.  This mix is just as its called, super fine in texture.  This allows for what you want when germinating seeds such as fire chile seeds.

http://www.growersupply.com/fasufigemix2.html

I grow many types of fire chiles:
Scorpions (Moruga, Trinidad Butch T, Trinidad Chocolate, Yellow Moruga)
Bhut Jolokia (Red, Peach, Chocolate)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Carolina Reaper (just starting these)
Trinidad 7 Pot (Yellow, Jonah, Douglah)
Red Rocoto
Habanero (Roatan Pumpkin, Caribbean Red, Chocolate)
Yellow Mushroom
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Malaysian Goronong
Black Naga
Aji Lemon Drop
Naranja Picante
Devils Tongue
Trinidad Perfume (not a true fire chile but one with great characteristics that is great for blending when making sauces)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:50:32 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 09:41:40 PM »

I would stay away from pure peat.  Search out, if you can, and use a mix such as Fafard Super Fine Germination mix.  This mix is just as its called, super fine in texture.  This allows for what you want when germinating seeds such as fire chile seeds.

Red Rocoto
Yellow Mushroom
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Malaysian Goronong
Black Naga
Aji Lemon Drop
Naranja Picante
Devils Tongue
Trinidad Perfume (not a true fire chile but one with great characteristics that is great for blending when making sauces)
[/quote

Hi Bsbullie ,

I want them all , we'll work something out later when I have the starting medium under control .
First , I live in Mexico , none of this fancy growing stuff is available , 2 nd in an area where there is no agriculture so even getting simple nursery-bags is a problem.
So I will have to try to make my own starting soil . I mentioned the peat moss since that is for sale at the local Home Depot . Coconut coir is available .
How would you do it .

I will also need to build a protected area , I just noticed today that the few moruga I have ( read had ) going were eaten down to the ground probably by the iguanas
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »
Red Rocoto
Yellow Mushroom
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Malaysian Goronong
Black Naga
Aji Lemon Drop
Naranja Picante
Devils Tongue

That is an impressive collection!  Do you grow them to eat yourself or just for the challenge?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 11:09:11 PM »
Red Rocoto
Yellow Mushroom
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Malaysian Goronong
Black Naga
Aji Lemon Drop
Naranja Picante
Devils Tongue

That is an impressive collection!  Do you grow them to eat yourself or just for the challenge?
I started growing some of them to make sauces (I make my own hot sauces...Sheehan has tasted one of my sauces) and share with friends...it has now turned into an addiction...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 11:21:14 PM »

Red Rocoto
Yellow Mushroom
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Malaysian Goronong
Black Naga
Aji Lemon Drop
Naranja Picante
Devils Tongue
[/quote

Hi Bsbullie ,

I want them all , we'll work something out later when I have the starting medium under control .
First , I live in Mexico , none of this fancy growing stuff is available , 2 nd in an area where there is no agriculture so even getting simple nursery-bags is a problem.
So I will have to try to make my own starting soil . I mentioned the peat moss since that is for sale at the local Home Depot . Coconut coir is available .
How would you do it .

I will also need to build a protected area , I just noticed today that the few moruga I have ( read had ) going were eaten down to the ground probably by the iguanas
Luc - PM sent...
- Rob