Author Topic: Wanted: Barbados Cherry  (Read 2568 times)

pFEEDme

• USA, CA/SoCal, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Wanted: Barbados Cherry
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:48:24 AM »
I've been searching for Barbados cherry for a couple of weeks now, but the experience has been discouraging with the outrageous online shipping prices for seedlings. So I went to Lai Thieu Nursery (new location on McFadden and Newhope) in OC, CA and saw some really nice 5' specimens but they wanted $85!!! I'd rather use that money to buy a black pearl wax apple since I heard that the seeds germinate quite readily and they grow very fast.

So does anyone know where I can obtain good quality seeds? Or better yet seedlings for...say under $20? TIA!

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Barbados Cherry
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:00:42 AM »
If you want I could air-layer you a branch, wouldn't be ready for a couple months though.
- David Antonio Garcia

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »
My brother-in-law has a big tree in his yard; we'll be visiting this summer, so PM me if you haven't found your seeds by then.

pFEEDme

• USA, CA/SoCal, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »
Hi guys! I'm so impressed by how responsive everyone is on this forum :)

PltdWorld: I just found some seeds on eBay but wasn't quick enough that another bidder bought them when I was browsing on here. I'll definitely PM you in the summer if my grubby hands haven't landed on any yet. 

David: Your offer is so generous that I can't pass it up! Please tell me how we can coordinate this?

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »
The fruit from my brother-in-law's tree is red in color and very acidic, is that the tree you're looking for?  Everyone there seems to like it, but I'm not a big fan.  Anyway, it's on my list of things to bring back & hope it's the variety you're looking for (or you can use it as rootstock).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 02:00:54 AM »
The fruit from my brother-in-law's tree is red in color and very acidic, is that the tree you're looking for?  Everyone there seems to like it, but I'm not a big fan.  Anyway, it's on my list of things to bring back & hope it's the variety you're looking for (or you can use it as rootstock).

Most barbados cherry (aka acerola), Malphigia glabra, are very tart because they were originally bred for making natural vitamin C as they contain high levels of ascorbic acid.. But there are some types that were bred for eating out of hand. Here we have the cultivar Sweet Manoa, and it's quite pleasant.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk