Author Topic: wanted: Is the Whitman's Fiberless Soursop available in South Florida?  (Read 4153 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Anyone here have one for sale local? I saw Frankie's Nursery has them....just don't want to pay for the shipping and phyto...

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
I have e-mailed Frankie to see if the Varieties include Whitman Fiberless, a more productive cultivar with
delicious melting pulp, Dulce, a sweet variety with low acid content, and
Miles 28, a Costa Rican variety with fruits as large as watermelons.

are available, if so i am buying 1 of each , maybe 2 of the fiberless , i have not see them for sale here in florida.

good luck.
Zone 10

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Mr. Whitman was not fond of the 'Whitman Fiberless' and much preferred the 'Miles 28'.  Of course, if you get both (or all 3 including the 'Dulce'), then you could breed them and perhaps come up with something even better.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
If Frankie confirms than i will buy 2 or 3 of each For my green house .
Crossing my fingers ..

Thanks ed..
Zone 10

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Frankies Just e-mailed , None Till Next Year ;(..
Zone 10

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
So alll Guanabanas that come from The Dominican republic Are Of The " Dulce Type " and all Guanabanas From Costa Rica Is The Miles 28 Type ?

Thank You Ed.
Zone 10

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
So alll Guanabanas that come from The Dominican republic Are Of The " Dulce Type " and all Guanabanas From Costa Rica Is The Miles 28 Type ?

Thank You Ed.
The 'MILES 28', according to Whitman, was a selection made by his son Chris found on  the side of a highway in Costa Rica next to sign bearing that name.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Which is the one that Excalibur sells (or was selling last summer when I bought one)?
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Which is the one that Excalibur sells (or was selling last summer when I bought one)?
If it was grafted, it is one that Richard chose out of many that produces a great flavor (balance with sweet and some subacid), low fiber/"cotton" content and low seed count.  Doesn't have a TRUE cultivar name.  It is excellent eaten out of hand or can be juiced for a multitude of uses.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
If it was grafted, it is one that Richard chose out of many that produces a great flavor (balance with sweet and some subacid), low fiber/"cotton" content and low seed count.  Doesn't have a TRUE cultivar name.  It is excellent eaten out of hand or can be juiced for a multitude of uses.

Yes, I remember them mentioning low "cotton" and great flavor. :)
John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: wanted: Is the Whitman's Fiberless Soursop available in South Florida?
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 09:19:37 PM »
I have the Whitman Fiberless here. It is an excellent quality fruit, but produces very little.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 04:21:46 AM »
Whitman sent seeds of the Whitman fiberless to North Queensland a long time ago.One of the resulting offspring that is still in someones yard turned out really productive with low fiber tasty fruit.It has been rediscovered by a local commercial soursop grower who is grafting from budwood taken from this tree.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 05:07:24 AM »
Whitman sent seeds of the Whitman fiberless to North Queensland a long time ago.One of the resulting offspring that is still in someones yard turned out really productive with low fiber tasty fruit.It has been rediscovered by a local commercial soursop grower who is grafting from budwood taken from this tree.

The ones i've had have been totally fiberless...the consistency of a cherimoya, and as high a quality. The production differences may just be due to differences in climates/soils.
Oscar