Author Topic: My beloved Bakupari tree pics  (Read 2409 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
My beloved Bakupari tree pics
« on: June 05, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
I Have this tree from seed is Maybe 8 years old, it has been fruiting since it was less than a meter high, probably at two years old, the first year's fruited 2/3 time's a year  but the last years has been almost ever bearing, hanging fruit all year, right now Im is loaded with ripe fruit and at the same time it just flowering last week and has lots of little fruits, sometimes I said to my wife Idalia I feel sorry for the tree and never have a rest, just never stops either has flowers or fruit or both, in the past I was afraid it could just die on its own due to the tremendous labor but through the years has be looking happy, never fertilize at all on purpose, I also like that is slow growing, is maybe only 2.5 meters high, the fruit is a nice sweet tart flavor just ripe but when you let them on the tree longer they start to wrinkle they get more sweet than that, they need to be deep orange color to enjoy the sweetness, however Idalia just pick them still yellow as she likes more tart flavors, due to the easy growing, ever bearing, small size, and nice fruit, this is one of my more appreciated  trees, Idalia also do a bakupari lemonade put them in a water jar and squeezing them with the hand, then passing through strainer and adding sugar, is just very refreshing and delicious! Skin adds a nice flavor element to the Bakupari lemonade, Idalia likes to eat the fruit with skin, I just put on my lips and squeeze it with two fingers and the round pulp jumps into my mouth,  this tree makes me think, if I was in the selling fruit bussiness I would purchase some hectares and plant a thousand seedlings wait a couple years and start selling the fruit who would be available all year around! I Guess here would be a success in the street vendors stands, in a clear little plastic bag with salt lime and chillie, the only thing stopping me for now is the money to buy the land, jejeje but maybe in the future!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:12:54 AM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: My beloved Bakupari tree pics
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 11:33:43 AM »
Thanks for posting, Raul.  Sounds like a real winner.  This is Garcinia brasilliensis, correct?  Do you know, is this the same strain that Luc has?

John

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 11:38:40 AM »
Thanks for posting, Raul.  Sounds like a real winner.  This is Garcinia brasilliensis, correct?  Do you know, is this the same strain that Luc has?

John
Yes it is Garcinia Brasiliensis, yes probably is the same strain, Luc was also collecting some seeds of this tree in past years to send overseas, maybe you got some of those....
El verde es vida!

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
What a wonderful tree, Raul. It's too bad it is out of my climate range, but it sounds wonderful. I hope you'll realize the orchard dream soon.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 12:09:22 PM »

Yes it is Garcinia Brasiliensis, yes probably is the same strain, Luc was also collecting some seeds of this tree in past years to send overseas, maybe you got some of those....

Yes, I got some from Luc.  I knew from his description that they were tasty but I didn't realize that they were so productive.  Thanks for the info!

I'll bet you could also make a killing if you market the bakupari "lemonade" once you get your orchard going.  I recall it gets HOT & humid down there in Puerto Vallarta at some times of the year.  Sounds like it would be a great thirst quencher on a hot day.

John

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »
I have that tree in production too. I got that material from jim west originally. It's hard to imagine a better fruit tree for the small tropical yard. At Gary Zill's nursery here in CR he had them in pots loaded with fruit. Irrestible for the nursery customer. Those ones might have been grafted but I think a seedling could probably fruit in a 5 gallon pot.
Peter

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 03:21:07 PM »
Yes Raul and John , I collected the seeds from our trees in the Campinas university in Brazil in 2006 .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 04:34:10 PM »
Yes Raul and John , I collected the seeds from our trees in the Campinas university in Brazil in 2006 .
yes I got the seed from Luc....
El verde es vida!

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 05:06:05 PM »
Very nice !!

Cop

• Mazatlán,Sinaloa,México
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 10:34:28 AM »
Already you filled me with enthusiasm, can you send me seeds ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk